• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chappie

Cured sausages made with non-meat ingredients

I was recently in a convenience store, searching for a semi-nutritious, low-"Points" snack (as I have been using the Weight Watchers app successfully for a month with dual goals of weight loss and improving my eating habits). I found a product by Krave that was a single-serve snack sausage made with both pork and black beans. This came a few months after I discovered and became slightly obsessed with Duke's smoked sausages, another snack-aisle product, made with better ingredients and methods than your Slim Jims and other junk.

It all got me wondering if there was a way to make a cured, smoked sausage from beans, tofu and other non-meat ingredients, with or without any meat at all. Both options appeal to me. I like the idea of pork with other ingredients, but am also interested in the possibilities of a non-meat product with similar smoky, spicy flavor and comparable texture to a dried, smoked meat sausage. Any ideas where I can look? Most searches for black beans and sausage turn up recipes for those two items combined in a dish (which is, of course, delicious). I'm wondering about methodology and any other attempts to do this.

I just Googled vegetarian sausage and got quite a few links.  One using mushrooms and lentils

~Martin :)

I try to find the good food in every situation!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse, curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse, curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

One of my favorite butchers told me tales of a potato sausage his mother used to make that sounded to die for - I think that pork fat may have played a big part in it though.

• Like 1

The idea and/or the 'necessity' has existed for a very long time. 

Bean Sausage.PNG

Source: The Bean-Bag, 1920

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)