• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Chef Jean-Pierre Wybauw

Bentley

The following was posted on his Facebook page today:

"This afternoon, chef Jean-Pierre Wybauw — Mr. Chocolat — has peacefully departed this life surrounded by his loved ones in the privacy of his own home. JP suffered from ALS. In spite of all his future plans, the inexhaustibility of his ideas and the good care he was surrounded with, the pain and suffering made him long for the other side of life.

Today, in the first place, we say goodbye to a devoted husband, a father and a brother, but we don’t forget the creative thinker that he was, with his endless passion for chocolate, a passion that brought him to all corners of the world. His knowledge will live on forever in all the books he so passionately worked on.

Passionate and creative, he was also known for his sense of humor and his sensitiveness: a sincere longing for a world where injustice would have no place.

We thank everyone who loved him and especially those who have stood by him, whether they were close or far away, in the last months of his suffering.

A burial service will be held privately. This message is the death notice."

I never met him but I learned a lot from him.  Rest in peace, Chef.

• Like 7

I just had to go back in eG and drag out what I consider to be my Wybauw stuff from eG to repost here. I learned a ton from this man and he was such a sweetheart. And he gave me the opportunity to start meeting so many eG friends.

Advanced Belgian Chocolates

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I just had to go back in eG and drag out what I consider to be my Wybauw stuff from eG to repost here. I learned a ton from this man and he was such a sweetheart. And he gave me the opportunity to start meeting so many eG friends.

Advanced Belgian Chocolates

Thank you for resharing this post Kerry, i loved reading it! So much knowledge!

I remember reading about the invert sugar when i first got his book but for the life of me couldn't remeber where I had read it so when i recently questioned someone about boiling it my response of 'I read it in a book ' sounded silly and was dismissed 😂  thank you again for sharing 

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 6:49 PM, Bentley said:

In spite of all his future plans, the inexhaustibility of his ideas and the good care he was surrounded with, the pain and suffering made him long for the other side of life.

Does this sound like assisted suicide to anyone else?  Which I support, but I'm having a hard time reconciling my reactions to this vs Tony Bourdain.  J-P was older (late 70s?), obviously sick and in pain, Tony was younger and less obvious, but don't we all have the right to relieve our pain, whatever it may be? 

Either way, rest in peace and thanks for all the knowledge.