• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled corn- quick question

ChocoMom

So, I am allergic to corn and almost never buy or cook it.  ( I grow some for my chickens, but that's about it.)  However, Sunday is Father's day, and it ended up on the menu as my hubby and FIL love it. I decided to grill it, but I don't know if it has to be par-boiled first, or do I just throw it on the flame?  And, for about how long does it have to cook? 

I know this must be amongst the silliest of questions, but I'd like to make it right- and appreciate any direction on this.  Thanks in advance. =) 

Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@robirdstx  ... Thank you!   When I see it in photos, it looks lovely.  

Its supposed to be 90F and humid here on Sunday, so boiling anything is the LAST thing I want to do!  Thanks again! Andrea

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

FWIW, and it's too late for Father's Day, I like to rub it down in butter, sprinkle with smoked paprika, and wrap in foil before grilling. You still get a bit of char. And the butter and the smoked paprika !!!!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Another way for grilled corn is to peel the husks carefully back, leaving them attached at the stem end, remove the silks, spread with butter and sprinkle with salt. Then replace the husks as well as you can, there will be some gaps where you will get charring, but the corn steams in the sweetness of the husk and I like this treatment a lot. The husks char, giving the corn a smoky flavor, but be careful removing the husks as it will be hot at this point. I always take a piece of foil inside an old towel and lay the ears down against a platter or plate, grasping the stem end and break it off, then roll them off onto your serving dish.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Not exactly relevant for 'first foray into grilling corn', but in re-reading this post I had a flashback: 

If you've got access to very fresh corn and have a fondness for making, it's worth a shot. To, y'know, replicate something you've maybe never tasted. 

• Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between