• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Have you ever had a buttery?

pastrygirl

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Are the butteries you remember eating flat like that?  Is there no yeast in them?

Yes, they were relatively flat. It's difficult to see in the BBC picture how flat they are, though. Maybe ¾ of an inch thick. I'm pretty sure there was yeast in them.

But it is half a century since I ate or even saw one, so I can't be 100% sure. Next time I talk to my mother I'll ask her.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Sounds like it would beat hardtack hands down.  A drizzle of lemon would take care of that pesky scurvy too!

Sadly eGullet missed observance of Scurvy Awareness Day...

https://sciencelens.co.nz/2013/05/02/international-scurvy-awareness-day/

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We went to the market yesterday and I bought another buttery.  (The first one is still in the freezer.)  This is what it looked like cut open.  While this was puffed up, looking more like a bun,   the domed part is air.  So you have a flakey crust top with air underneath and a thin base.  As for the taste, I did not care for it.  Maybe it's the lard?

20180812_193501.jpg

20180812_193508.jpg

• Like 2