• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back in Time for Dinner. Ham pockets anyone?

Anna N

A new series is coming to the CBC network in June. It looks at life beginning in the 1940s.

Click.

I have to say this. Having lived through the 1940s, not in Canada but in Britain, one cannot capture the reality without understanding the mindset.   The vast majority of housewives tried to make the food as tasty as it possibly could be given the limitations whereas this appears to be just slapdash comedy almost.  Too bad. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting. I know the BBC did a series called Back in Time for Dinner a while ago (and most episodes are now available on YouTube). I'm interested to see the Canadian version and how things differ, especially if the show goes all the way and renovates the kitchen for each episode and has the family follow the social norms of the time as well.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2