• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada's Moosehead Brewery Opening New On-site Microbrewery

chromedome

This is literally three blocks up the street from where I live. I'd wondered what the construction was all about. :)

They'll be offering five microbrews at a time, and although they don't say so I suspect the most popular will make it into the regular line if demand warrants it.

http://huddle.today/moosehead-opens-its-small-batch-brewery-and-taproom-in-saint-john/

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Lucky you! Moosehead used to be one of my favorite beers. I've moved away from lagers on the whole, but I still firmly associate Moosehead lager with happy times of discovery when I first began visiting northern Minnesota. We'll expect regular reports on their microbrews. :-) I hope they're a success.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IIRC Moosehead was the best-selling import beer in the US for...I dunno, about 15 minutes back in the 90s. I'm not a lager drinker either, so I don't drink either their flagship brand or Alpine (their top brand here in the local market, launched decades ago by the current owner's father). I'll certainly check out their microbrews, though, and give my opinion on them FWIW.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I popped in last night to taste the microbrews and buy a growler. I'm working now, but I'll post some pics and give some initial impressions later on today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 10:38 AM, chromedome said:

I popped in last night to taste the microbrews and buy a growler. I'm working now, but I'll post some pics and give some initial impressions later on today.

So, what did you think?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Geez, got distracted and never came back to this. My bad.

The first one I tried was the October Ale. It was unseasonal but they brewed that one first because it's the one great-great granny started with, back in the day. I reasoned that they'd probably retire that one fairly quickly until autumn (I was right, as it happens). It was a nice brown ale, not overly hoppy or complex but with a nice bit of caramel sweetness, some dry fruit notes and a whiff of smoke.

The IPA is pleasantly refreshing, nicely hopped (ie, not a hop monster but not understated either) with bright, citrusy notes.

I've just finished a growler of the bock, which is a pleasant but undistinguished example of the style.

I also tasted an oatmeal stout and a dunkel that first night, both of which were smokier than I'd expected. Other than that I remember little of them, because I'd tasted five in total within a short timeframe. They've since added a dark lager and a mango IPA, which I haven't tasted. Overall, I'm pleased with what I've had. Are there better craft brews around? Absolutely. Are they perfectly acceptable and enjoyable in their own right? You bet. If anyone happens to be in this vicinity over the summer, you can book a tour of the brewery what concludes with flights in the taproom. A flight of four 7-ounce glasses is only $3, which is absurdly low in this neck of the woods.

Here's the outside:
IMG_20180613_184628.thumb.jpg.f505aeb87fe57d3b302fe8f5e6e6dbbc.jpg

A "flight plus one," so I could taste all the small-batch brews:

IMG_20180613_185736.thumb.jpg.4adf5225940b5aab812297563715512c.jpg

The order board:

IMG_20180613_185804.thumb.jpg.f414408a4852d820edb71d95f9a89f94.jpg

Vintage bottles and other memorabilia on display shelves in the tap room:

IMG_20180613_192221.thumb.jpg.c9a7147176ac2af8d22ab5479d316a8f.jpg

The business end of things:

IMG_20180613_192157.thumb.jpg.064df658fa000b58d35189d787819cfa.jpg

...and a nice final touch.

IMG_20180613_192232.thumb.jpg.ae1c287dcf816d277276bbcf2373294d.jpg

IMG_20180613_192208.jpg

• Like 5

There is just nothing like a nice fresh beer that you like. I truly wish I could get my growlers filled while taking a walk! The one I frequent the most is a good 12 mile drive, each way, but happens to be in the old factory where my dad worked when I was little and I was in there all the time with him. It is very nostalgic, but I wish I could walk there.

HC

• Like 5

Just as a followup, I nipped in again this evening and filled my growler with their Mango IPA. As a rule I'm not big on fruit-flavored beers, but I thought this might be an interesting combination of flavors (especially on a hot July evening).

I quite like it...it's far less fruit-forward than most fruit beers I've had, with the hops front and center and the mango playing purely a supporting role. You could almost mistake the mango for in intriguing note coming from the hops themselves. I don't know what kind of hops they used in the brew (they don't specify) but I'd certainly be keen to try a similar beer made with more "artisanal" hops.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Last night as I was getting my growler filled (a repeat on the IPA) I commented to the server - sorry, "Brand Ambassador" - that the taproom was a solid success. He told me that at this point, just shy of three full months since they'd opened, they're already on the verge of hitting their original sales target for the year. That's pretty definitively a success.

I'm sure it's the smallest of drops in the bucket, considered as a percentage of the company's total revenues, but it's nice to have a good loyalty-builder in your home market.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Currently I'm sipping on their strawberry-rhubarb milkshake IPA. I tried a taste of it the other day out of morbid curiosity, and to my surprise I quite liked it. The fruit is definitely perceptible, but it takes a back seat to the hops. I'm not a fan of fruit-infused beers in general, but this one's very good.

On 10/13/2018 at 12:17 AM, suzilightning said:

WOW!!!  When we do our next trip will have to have John check it out...

They do a tour. If you're passing this way, let me know. As I said upthread it's only a few blocks from my door, and I'd be happy to meet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I forgot to post this at the time (I was getting ready to move) but newly-eligible Moosehead, via its small-batch brewery, brought home some hardware in the craft beer categories at the Canadian Brewing Awards this year. 

https://huddle.today/these-four-n-b-breweries-won-awards-at-canadian-craft-beer-awards/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 8:12 PM, Hector Litre said:

Did you get the size of the brewhouse?  (brew-length)

Sorry, I did not.

I've moved to the other side of town and don't get in as often now that it's not my local beer stop (one of the ANBL outlets on my side of town has six taps for growlers, covering a range of local breweries, so I'm still well served in that respect).

• Like 2