• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

gulfporter

Remembering Anthony Bourdain, 1956 - 2018

Kitchen Confidental got me into food, and The Les Halles Cookbook was my first cookbook. You see, I was a just-moved-out-of-home student with pretty much same autistic kid's palate I'd had since forever, and something about his writing convinced me it was okay to try anything. There might be a dozen cookbooks I have a deep love for, but Bourdain's wriitng holds a place in my heart that the Joe Beef book and etc never will.

When I was out the other night there was a special on offer -- pig's trotter stuffed with cotechino. It seemed fitting.

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

It's interesting how we each react differently.

I don't feel I'll be able to open one of his books, re-watch one of his shows or watch him being interviewed, for quite some time.

But I will, eventually. :(

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 7

I had been rereading a kindle version of Kitchen Confidential, a bit at a time, over the last month and am about half-way through it. Don’t know when I will be able to continue.

• Like 2

I watched a lot of The Travel Channel marathon and some on CNN yesterday.  Had to make myself stop, it was heartbreaking.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A few hours ago, I went to Les Halles (15 John Street, NYC) with friends to see if it's still in business for lunchbourdain.thumb.JPG.eedb53c60e5607662a613df27832826d.JPG.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Les Halles hasn't been in business in a long time - at least a year.

Yea, Les Halles closed over two years ago. I’m a bit surprised they still have their signage up. 

Here's a photo of Les Halles in Tokyo. I wanted to take pictures of our dinner but the people I was with were uncomfortable about it, so, it's the only photo I have. Sorry, not incredibly exciting.

LesHallesJP.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, ChrisTaylor said:

Kitchen Confidental got me into food, and The Les Halles Cookbook was my first cookbook. You see, I was a just-moved-out-of-home student with pretty much same autistic kid's palate I'd had since forever, and something about his writing convinced me it was okay to try anything. There might be a dozen cookbooks I have a deep love for, but Bourdain's wriitng holds a place in my heart that the Joe Beef book and etc never will.

When I was out the other night there was a special on offer -- pig's trotter stuffed with cotechino. It seemed fitting.

You have certainly made up for lost time. :P

• Like 1

@dcarch you said you’ve eaten at Bourdain’s restaurants. I missing something? AFAIK his only true executive chef job was Les Halles decades ago and the restaurant in NYC closed in March 2016. 

3 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@dcarch you said you’ve eaten at Bourdain’s restaurants. I missing something? AFAIK his only true executive chef job was Les Halles decades ago and the restaurant in NYC closed in March 2016. 

Sometime ago, I had business meetings at One Seaport plaza, 100 William St and and 116 John St. Every time going from the subway to the buildings, I passed by Les Halles (15 John St.). A few times had lunch and dinner with clients and friends there.

dcarch

This evening I've been assembling choucroute garnie. Total coincidence, but Iggy Pop's Lust for Life is playing in the background. Seems about right.

• Like 4