• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Anthony Bourdain, 1956–2018

gulfporter

Wow! I'm shocked! :(

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

His back-and-forth banter with Ruhlman was one of the most entertaining things on eG back when I was a newbie. I never see a walrus without thinking of him.

I would like to see this -- anybody have a link?  If not -- what was Bourdain's handle here?  I can search for it.

Awful.  

I was so shocked by this news I said an involuntary ''what the fuck' out loud to an empty room twice. There was nothing I'd seen from his social media or from press reports that indicated he was anything other than head over heels in love with Asia Argento and happy, but that I suppose just says how little social media and the press can really tell you about a person. I did wonder if it was an accidental death, but then I read this report https://people.com/food/asia-argento-cryptic-message-before-anthony-bourdain-suicide/ So sad. 

Here's a link to all of Anthony's posts on egullet. He was an amazingly generous contributor https://forums.egullet.org/profile/863-bourdain/content/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So sad. I remember reading his posts back before I joined eGullet and just lurked and learned. I loved his attitudes about travel, and using food to learn about other cultures.

I think I'm going to pull out my copy of "Les Halles," which I have not cooked from for a while, and make something from it this weekend, and raise a glass of wine to Bourdain. One of the few cookbooks I have read, like a novel, from cover-to-cover, and thoroughly enjoyed. It's like cooking with a smart-ass friend.

• Like 3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

An interview I had with the Bergen Record this morning about Bourdain's impact on internet food discussion

https://www.northjersey.com/story/life/food/2018/06/08/anthony-bourdain-internet-foodie-pioneer/686000002/

• Like 2

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I always admired how he chose to call things as he saw them, without pulling any punches. He was refreshingly honest even when he could have probably earned a lot more money shilling for some food conglomerate. My favorite of his books is Typhoid Mary, it's surprisingly thoughtful not just about Mary herself but the social circles she was entwined in. He was always aware of the social context of our foods and wasn't afraid to talk about some ugly subjects.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

In tribute to Bourdain, The New Yorker has reposted his first published article which led to Kitchen Confidential.

Don’t Eat Before Reading This

@liamsaunt may particularly enjoy the first paragraph.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am sooo upset.  Holly crap.  So so sorry for those close to Tony.  Oh, boy, it’s go to take awhile to get over this.

i will haul out Les Halles and I just bought his latest book which will also get some use.

at the Fridaynight pub night we all clinked a glass to Tony.  We all recounted our knowledge of what he was about.

:(:(

• Like 4

To an outsider, drug addiction and alcoholism, assuming the addict is functioning (and boy did Anthony function), these demons can easily come across as joie de vivre.  But then this happens and instantly the self medicating aspect becomes quite obvious. 

This being said, at this point,  something isn't making sense here. I can't really say that I'm not buying it, because very little is being sold.  I can't cry foul, because there is no narrative being presented to explain this- other than, of course, the depression-is-a-horrible-disease narrative.  Every fiber of my being, though, says that there's more to this than just depression and possibly a bad break up.

It's selfish, it's probably not respectful to his family's privacy or to his memory, but, fuck it, I want answers.

• Like 6