• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Anthony Bourdain, 1956–2018

gulfporter

My oh my. What crap news. I've watched, listened and read him for years. His "Les Halles" book is on my permanent access cookbook stand and has never been filed away. I just read my entry in it and it's September 2008. Ive just added Mort 08/06/18. What a bloody shame. YouTube is going to notice some heavy traffic now. I'll be one of them. Thinking of his family and friends now. Very sad. D

I stumbled on this tribute to him, and I think it is particularly fitting.

https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/anthony-bourdain-was-remarkable-because-he-possessed-qu-1826682165?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=theroot_facebook

One of the things I loved about his shows is how he made the people in the places he visited just as much a focus as the food. He had empathy, and was not afraid to show it. In today’s political environment, in which xenophobia is quickly becoming the default accepted state in much of our country, we need more people like Anthony Bourdain. Lots of celebrity deaths in the last couple of years, but this one seems to be hitting me harder than even Bowie and Prince, both of whom I was a fan of. 

• Like 3

@tikidoc

"he made the people in the places he visited just as much a focus as the food"

" He had empathy "

he certainly did.

I personally have not seen so many of his shows

simply because I would have loved to be there 

and sample that food , and talk about it with people that had his insight.

Thst's my own fault.

saying this

I did see a show where he went into Northern Laos or the like

met w the various Opium Commanders 

and then sat down with the Locals for some

food.

apparently 

beetles and the like or other crawling things were preserved in

local " Hooch "

taken out for their crunchiness after a large glass of that ' hooch'

and he dug in and drank right with the Locals

I saw the local Eyes Dilate, and then the toothless large grin of each of them

Ill have to find that show an take another look

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Popeyes re heated in CSO.  DH had some yesterday for lunch in honor of Bourdain and brought some home for me.  I am so very sad about brilliant life that went incomplete.  And especially sad for his daughter.

IMG_0646.thumb.JPG.a09019a52a6924c480b78f2cefc55c9d.JPG

• Like 3

I found this Twitter series of posts quite moving.

Today's a day of extreme sadness for us here at Xi'an Famous Foods. I've lost a dear friend today, and we mourn with the rest of the world. I remember the time in 2007 when Tony first visited our basement food stall in Flushing for Travel Channel's No Reservations while I was...

DfLiK-yXUAEqxSn.jpg

1:49 pm - 8 Jun 2018

...still in college (even though I didn't know who he was at the time). I remember my father preparing interesting off-menu dishes to get his opinion on when he visited our store. I remember years later in 2015 after interviewing together for an article, I approached Tony and...

4 replies . 124 retweets 1,431 likes

...told him, while he may have no idea what he has done for our family and business by simply saying he enjoyed the food, I wanted him to know it helped bring our family out from living in one room in Flushing to living the American dream. We were able to grow our business...

2 replies . 166 retweets 1,915 likes

•  

...and provide great food for our guests, and opportunities for our employees. I looked at him in the eyes and said, this is something we will always be thankful for, Tony. And he simply replied, "I'm just calling out good food like it is, that's all." In honor of his memory...

2 replies . 157 retweets 2,015 likes

•  

...and all of those dear people who left us all too early, and in taking whatever action we can to prevent suicide in the US, Xi'an Famous Foods will be donating 100% of our net sales on today, Friday, June 8, 2018, from all of our stores, to @800273TALK

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

38 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I found this Twitter series of posts quite moving.

Being a foodie in NYC, it's impossible not to know Xi'an Famous Foods - they've expanded all over the place.  For a period of time, I would go there several times a month.  According to an interview, they attribute a lot of their success to Bourdain when he talked them up after eating at their sole stall in a Flushing, Queens mall (Flushing is probably the biggest Chinatown in NYC right now).  See https://ny.eater.com/2018/6/8/17442082/xian-famous-foods-jason-wang-anthony-bourdain

D'you old folks remember that Chodorow Restaurant Name Contest?  Damn, that was funny... 

And the feud with Ruhlman was epic... Remember when they stayed up all night in Cincinnati?

<sigh>

• Like 5

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Still reeling from the shock and sadness of his death.

I wanted to let anyone who doesn't already know that there are two marathons of his shows coming up today and tomorrow.

Today on CNN Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown beginning tonight at 8:00 pm EST. Their website didn't specify which episodes.

Tomorrow The Travel Channel will be showing episodes of No Reservations beginning at 7:00 am EST and running all day. Their website does provide a description of each episode to be shown.

Here's the link to their schedule with each episode description:  

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/tv-schedule.2018.06.10.EST

I plan on watching as many as I can and, for sure, there will be tears on my part.

Missing him so much already.

Edited by divalasvegas
To add a link. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

27 minutes ago, divalasvegas said:

I wanted to let anyone who doesn't already know that there are two marathons of his shows coming up today and tomorrow.

Today on CNN Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown beginning tonight at 8:00 pm EST. Their website didn't specify which episodes.

Tomorrow The Travel Channel will be showing episodes of No Reservations beginning at 7:00 am EST and running all day. Their website does provide a description of each episode to be shown.

I plan on watching as many as I can and, for sure, there will be tears on my part.

I'm surprised that Travel Channel won't be showing any Vietnam episodes -  it was one of his favorite places in the world, and he did several episodes for them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, divalasvegas said:

Thank you for this.  

I miss him, too.

I guess it's a little weird to say that about someone I've never met, but it's true.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm surprised that Travel Channel won't be showing any Vietnam episodes -  it was one of his favorite places in the world, and he did several episodes for them.

Wow, you're right, there aren't any and that is indeed rather strange. I am pretty sure that at least CNN will be showing that episode in Vietnam where he had a meal with President Obama.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Just tried to PVR the CNN programs and the bastards don’t allow recording!  Wow, I had no idea.  No Travel channel for me so I may just have to watch CNN live.:(

Really?!  Huh.  I just set mine to tape and it didn't tell me that I couldn't.  That is such a bummer!

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

I think his travel channel stuff was his best. 

But I really don't want to watch it at the moment. Odd

One of the streaming services, Netflix I think, had A Cook's Tour at some point last year. Still holds up pretty well. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

16 hours ago, divalasvegas said:

Wow, you're right, there aren't any and that is indeed rather strange. I am pretty sure that at least CNN will be showing that episode in Vietnam where he had a meal with President Obama.

They showed it last night. Painful to watch. I miss both of them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tikidoc said:

They showed it last night. Painful to watch. I miss both of them.

I watched it too and indeed it was a bittersweet experience  for me. You took the words right out of my mouth, I miss both men dearly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, divalasvegas said:

Last night, I streamed the CNN tribute piece that originally aired on Friday night.  The bits where he gets Anderson Cooper (self-described as having the palate of a 5-yr old)  to try various offal dishes brought a smile to my face. 

Then I watched episode after episode of Parts Unknown as they kept spooling up, one after the other. 

My library has most of his shows on DVD and I noted that everything Bourdain, books, audible tapes, DVDs, etc. has been checked out in the last day or two.

• Like 5