• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Anthony Bourdain, 1956–2018

gulfporter

6 hours ago, heidih said:

That voice in the New Yorker was what made Kitchen Confidential such a significant and popular book. I don't know anyone who has read the texts who orders fish on the wrong day ;)

I recall reading that article and KC subsequently. I had half a thought about career change at the time. 

I still cannot watch his shows anymore, and I used to look forward to them. Not sure why I can’t , but I have no desire. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

I'm having some sleep (or lack thereof) issues lately, bue to some recent lower back surgery, so I have been watching some very late night TV stuff.  Last night, an episode or two of Parts Unknown.

Sadly, one can certainly hear, both in the tone of his voice, and in his words, how lonely he was. He also talks about his feelings about being unable to communicate with most everyone.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Ive hesitated to answer

I rarely watched his many fine shows

for personal selfish reasons :

why was i not there with him tasting so many delights

and having so many interesting conversations about food

and fellowship sharing food 

all over the world?

of course, except for an episode in Northern Laos

where he visited a very remote group of  ' guerrillas '

of the many tasty offerings they suggested to him , there were jars of many odd insects and such

some large

preserved in home made very high test ' hooch '

he didn't hesitate when offered these to taste

me ? id have passed 

I did see with a friend an episode in England

Scotch Eggs , and a discussion of the origin 

and [#ROY#%RY(@#Y$R_#@Y%]

of Brexit.

I believe the world he saw and experienced

troubled him greatly, in a personal manner

for those he saw who had so little

an episode in Haiti , with a few local people , in a park.

they had the local push cart food , which he found delicious.

Children all around looked vary hungry 

so he bought the entire cart of food , rice and beans

and the children lined up for a meal.

the police arrived and created order 

violently.

he also personally protested past violence

now forgotten 

its about food here , but he remembered the bombing in Cambodia in his own way.

its a shame he found no personal relief from the ills of the world

as they affected him

in his life time.   

and so his talent and insight has been lost.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

On my recent trip to Palacios for a birding festival, the meeting spot for our Saturday and Sunday field trips was a place called The Point. The Point was one of the destinations featured in Parts Unknown (Houston - Season 8, Episode 5). I had watched the episode when it aired in 2016, but this was my first time in Palacios and I had not remembered The Point.

56260196-76C3-41A5-953A-35191DC18CEF.thumb.jpeg.1e931ec9a541ae3df117d1c5f2914446.jpeg

71C06EBA-2FD3-4134-A7D6-9980B4C668CE.thumb.jpeg.8c3b9bccd6cbbc080cf44113d4ee5a75.jpeg

28F05C95-274C-482E-9461-1AB1CE5CB195.thumb.jpeg.5e61abf730ea7cf831a80e7a000fae36.jpeg

D397D005-F62D-427A-9BDC-5FC6C2AF6145.thumb.jpeg.dbd4cf60321bce811da3a4ed9e721177.jpeg

Grilled Pork Banh Mi

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

I have lurked on this site for many a year, but never actively participated until now.   I loved, loved, loved, Anthony  Bourdain's shows and books and voraciously consumed any of the media associated with him.  I did notice the less joy and frivolity, more serious and dark his shows were getting.  Much more political.  I understand this, sometimes, especially seeing the world as he did, food (at least for enjoyment not sustenance)  can seem trivial.   I am into sports and I find a lot of sports writers when they get a chance to stray from what must be the mundane, they jump at the opportunity.

It is not ironic that the day he died, I sought out a Pho restaurant the night before.  It would have never been something I would have actively sought out on my own before following his shows.    Same with Sichuan cooking, and my personal opiate, Xiao Long Bao (Chinese Soup Dumplings), which if I don't have at least once a month, I get withdrawal symptoms.  He opened up and exposed these food items to me.   I always had a love of sushi,  but it is only now do I get sushi.   

I miss his shows.  It is weird, I loved his shows with the Joe Beef guys, but seeing AB dead, and the Joe Beef guys stone sober, I wonder about my own excesses.  I guess nothing last forever.  

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

I miss his shows.  It is weird, I loved his shows with the Joe Beef guys, but seeing AB dead, and the Joe Beef guys stone sober,   I guess nothing last forever.  

Yup.  Yes indeed.

Always wanted to have a beer with him. My bucket list is getting shorter by attrition....Dan Jenkins is another one who left the list recently

AB showed up on eG in the early days.  You could troll around and find his stuff

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, gfweb said:

AB showed up on eG in the early days.  You could troll around and find his stuff

You'll find that his first post here was in defense of someone who'd written a negative review of his then-current book. I've always thought that said a lot about him.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 weeks later...

The "old days" were fun.  And AB was a great combination of business, personality & insightfulness.  I met him several times, but my favorite story, by far, was AB's visit (I can't remember which show) to one of the small out of the way places I loved in Queens.  The show portrayed this great food as being served, as an excellent option, at one of the several outdoor tables in front of the place.  The tables were full of happy campers & it appeared as if AB and crew just showed up to find it this way.  Well, those of you who have been around eG for awhile & know the faces of some of the almost original eG posters might get a kick out of seeing who's eating at those tables while re-watching that show.  I know I do.  And it wasn't just happenstance.  And, to cap it all off, the place (except for that day) never had any outdoor seating.

Edited by Steve R. (log)
  • Like 5