• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Anthony Bourdain, 1956–2018

gulfporter

Kitchen Confidental got me into food, and The Les Halles Cookbook was my first cookbook. You see, I was a just-moved-out-of-home student with pretty much same autistic kid's palate I'd had since forever, and something about his writing convinced me it was okay to try anything. There might be a dozen cookbooks I have a deep love for, but Bourdain's wriitng holds a place in my heart that the Joe Beef book and etc never will.

When I was out the other night there was a special on offer -- pig's trotter stuffed with cotechino. It seemed fitting.

• Like 12

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

It's interesting how we each react differently.

I don't feel I'll be able to open one of his books, re-watch one of his shows or watch him being interviewed, for quite some time.

But I will, eventually. :(

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 7

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Seen today on Facebook:

image.thumb.png.3eaea96cca72731ac6fcf7613b7b4bdf.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 6/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, ChrisTaylor said:

Kitchen Confidental got me into food, and The Les Halles Cookbook was my first cookbook. You see, I was a just-moved-out-of-home student with pretty much same autistic kid's palate I'd had since forever, and something about his writing convinced me it was okay to try anything. There might be a dozen cookbooks I have a deep love for, but Bourdain's wriitng holds a place in my heart that the Joe Beef book and etc never will.

When I was out the other night there was a special on offer -- pig's trotter stuffed with cotechino. It seemed fitting.

You have certainly made up for lost time. :P

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@dcarch you said you’ve eaten at Bourdain’s restaurants. I missing something? AFAIK his only true executive chef job was Les Halles decades ago and the restaurant in NYC closed in March 2016. 

Sometime ago, I had business meetings at One Seaport plaza, 100 William St and and 116 John St. Every time going from the subway to the buildings, I passed by Les Halles (15 John St.). A few times had lunch and dinner with clients and friends there.

dcarch

Yeah...a good choucroute garnie, like Iggy, is worth a million in prizes... :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Evan Kleiman's Good Food podcast/radio show on KCRW devoted today's episode to Anthony Bourdain:  Remembering Anthony Bourdain

The Good Food blog contains personal remembrances from several of the show's staff: Good Food Remembers Anthony Bourdain.  

That blog post also contains a link to a Los Angeles Times article that Evan wrote:  He may have had a bad boy persona, but Anthony Bourdain was lovely, loyal and so damn smart

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a cliche but watching the first Paris episode of No Reservations changed my life. I watched it in summer 2010, just after staying six months doing a language course in Paris, and nearly five months travelling in India prior to that. After checking out more of the show I quickly realized how much I had been missing in both places, that this was the way to travel, not through the eyes of Lonely Planet's guidebook.

When I travel today the most important part is to find out, beforehand, where do the locals eat and drink and how do I get there. I always carry a list of places wherever I go, but also keep my eyes open to exciting experiences which may pop up along the way. I will often check out the places he visited if we happen to cross paths.

The second life changing moment was the episode Techniques Specials. I finally learnt how to cut a frigging onion properly, and how to roast a chicken, that browing the meat properly was a good idea, that using cheap Yugoslavian red wine in cooking works fine. The pasta sauce recipe has become one of my staples, I can do it blindfolded and it tastes amazing every time.

I started buying his books and trying out his recipes. His influence snowballed into me checking out other cook books, Joel Robuchon massive brick for instance, I started making aioli in a mortar and pestle, I make my own pasta and chili oil, I spend ages baking sour dough bread. I know how to boil a freaking egg. I had pieds et paquet at that same restaurant in Paris, I had lamb brains in Beirut, last autumn I prepared and ate sheep testicles at our yearly smoked sheep head feast (Smalahove, not too different from that awesome Iceland episode). None of this would have happened without Tony.

It still hurts that he's gone and that he left so suddenly. It was like losing a mentor, or an older brother you could turn to for advice. Even though I never met him. However... his influence will still be there. When I try to find the best recipe for Dan dan noodles I think of @bourdain and type "the best f***ing authentic dan dan mien recipe" into google. Sometimes I hit a home run with that technique.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. No, wait, the other thing ... tedious.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...

GQ, of all publications, followed up with a really good and touching retrospective:

https://www.gq.com/story/anthony-bourdain-men-of-the-year-tribute

• Like 5

I shared his respect for the food service workers that fuel our restauramts and so often are from Latin America with an Uber driver from Mexico. He is a side-lined cook (back injury) but ready to tackle that world again when he feels better. The man ws touched to learn of Bourdain's thoughtful comments on the subject. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/04/19/dont-eat-before-reading-this?mbid=nl_Daily 122418&CNDID=50384950&utm_source=nl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily 122418&utm_content=&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=Daily 122418&hasha=c1cfc6cd2e718d8162ab21d553393ff6&hashb=413c4f4bbf515016d603379987b18fc6a2731173&spMailingID=14843487&spUserID=MjA2NjYyNDQ1OTI1S0&spJobID=1541803050&spReportId=MTU0MTgwMzA1MAS2

That voice in the New Yorker was what made Kitchen Confidential such a significant and popular book. I don't know anyone who has read the texts who orders fish on the wrong day ;)

• Like 2