• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turbot cooking method please

Doofa

I have just bought a very fresh Turbot. It is my first one. I'm asking for cooking suggestions for what I understand is one of the best fish in the world. TIA D

It's delicate, so it needs gentle handling. Preparing it whole, as shown by Liuzhou, certainly helps. If you'd rather not deal with the skin and bones at the time of service, you can fillet it like any other flat fish (four smaller portions, rather than two larger ones). Simmer the rack and skin for a nice little bit of fish broth, which you may then use to make a sauce if you wish.

Steaming is a good choice, or cooking it en papillote. You might also poach it or bake it in some kind of sauce, though with the latter two there's a bit of difficulty in getting it onto your plate in one attractive piece.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I like doing it Meunière style, dipping one side in flour then frying in a load of butter.  The only difficulty is accurately judging when it is done.

Yes. I love this method and I'm the same about judging doneness. D