• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuzu and Raspberry Inspiration by Valrhona?!?! Is this real?

2 minutes ago, keychris said:

flavoured white chocolate. Not really something I want :P

Have you tasted it? It doesn’t taste like white chocolate at all. The passionfruit tastes just like a burst of passionfruit. It blew my mind. The almond I was not as excited about. But it does taste like actual blanched almonds, not like extract or anything. It actually kind of tastes like a French macaron shell. I’ve heard great things about the strawberry from my European friends. 

Anyway, as always, to each his/her own. I’m excited about them :) .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rajala said:

You can find a PR from May here; https://dam.valrhona.com/m/452fa1de6e171e10/original/

And a YouTube video here; 

Thank you! My rudimentary high school French helped with the video but the press release is far beyond my capabilities. Now if it was in Italian... maybe ;) . But thank you for sharing. I wonder how long we will have to wait in the US. We still don’t have the strawberry. 

Probably long. :) 

The two new flavors aren't even listed at my distributor. But it seems like they were announced only like a week ago.

So if I get it right, it's basically white chocolate sans milk and fruit instead? 

4 hours ago, Rajala said:

Probably long. :) 

The two new flavors aren't even listed at my distributor. But it seems like they were announced only like a week ago.

So if I get it right, it's basically white chocolate sans milk and fruit instead? 

That’s pretty much right. Fruit powder, sugar and cocoa butter. 

29 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

That’s pretty much right. Fruit powder, sugar and cocoa butter. 

Yeah, the process isn't really all that difficult with the right equipment. The biggest problem (beyond someone coming up with the idea in the first place) with making your own on a regular basis is the amount of freeze dried fruit required gets real expensive real fast. With any sources for freeze dried fruit I know of, I can buy a kg of the Valrhona for about the same price it would cost me to make a kg. The Valrhona becomes cheaper per kg than homemade if you buy the 3 kg bag.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm curious to try this out, even though I'm not a big fan of Valrhona and their pricing. :)

Which one should I try? Passion fruit or strawberry? Yuzu would be the first choice, but since it's not available... 

image.png.852c37bd4be8b51d907adc3f3029b368.png

Varlhona = the aholes of the chocolate industry. I can't even ask them for distributors of their products. :D 

Pardon my language there, but they're really on of those companies I really dislike. The image they're trying to have is so silly.

6 minutes ago, Rajala said:

image.png.852c37bd4be8b51d907adc3f3029b368.png

Varlhona = the aholes of the chocolate industry. I can't even ask them for distributors of their products. :D 

Pardon my language there, but they're really on of those companies I really dislike. The image they're trying to have is so silly.

It took a long time to get Valrhona to respond to me, but when they did they were very nice. 

Cacao Barry wouldn’t even respond. I contacted a regional rep and he totally blew me off a c told me I should just find a local distributor and ask them my questions. 

Just now, Pastrypastmidnight said:

It took a long time to get Valrhona to respond to me, but when they did they were very nice. 

Cacao Barry wouldn’t even respond. I contacted a regional rep and he totally blew me off a c told me I should just find a local distributor and ask them my questions. 

Hehe, that's nice of them. I actually got a reply on Instagram from someone working for Barry Callebaut and I also emailed on of the local sales rep, he was super helpful actually. I guess it's a mindset. :D 

But Varlhona are trying too hard to be "fancy", you know? It feels so incredibly strained, in a bad way.

I asked the only local Valrhona supplier I know off, and they don't know when these will be available. I'm gonna get a bag of the Yuzu version, when they're available. Love me some citrus fruits.

On the topic of big chocolate suppliers....I took a class at the Chocolate Academy in Singapore....right inside the Callebaut / Cacaobarry factory....they gave us all the Cacaobarry chocolate we wanted to play with but still would not sell us any.....

Yesterday a rep for a Chocovic/ Callebault/ Cacaobarry distributor came to my shop....not sure why, as she did have no clue about the different chocolates she was offering, nor did she know any of their prices....she basically just handed me some samples (which I did not need as I knew her products better than her) and told me to "send her an email if I needed more information or prices".....still not sure why she even came to my shop...

Strange business models indeed....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avachocolate said:

On the topic of big chocolate suppliers....I took a class at the Chocolate Academy in Singapore....right inside the Callebaut / Cacaobarry factory....they gave us all the Cacaobarry chocolate we wanted to play with but still would not sell us any.....

Yesterday a rep for a Chocovic/ Callebault/ Cacaobarry distributor came to my shop....not sure why, as she did have no clue about the different chocolates she was offering, nor did she know any of their prices....she basically just handed me some samples (which I did not need as I knew her products better than her) and told me to "send her an email if I needed more information or prices".....still not sure why she even came to my shop...

Strange business models indeed....

That sounds very strange indeed, and I wouldn't call her a good sales rep either. I get a bit frustrated when people/companies act like this. I hope I get famous one day, just to be able to blow them of when they want something from me, when they didn't even talk to me earlier. :D Well, not really. But you understand what I mean.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Rajala said:

The yuzu one is AMAZING. Love it, not sure what to do with it though, but need to buy a bag and play around with some moulding etc.

As I expected! Thanks for the review! Does the yuzu seem to be priced higher than the other flavors? I wondered because (where I’m at in the States at least), yuzu is very hard to come by. Have you been able to try the raspberry yet?

It's probably higher priced, it's only sold to their fancy club customers at the moment. I haven't got a quote yet but from the French stores online, it's seems to cost more.

I got raspberry samples as well. I liked it, but it pales in comparison to the yuzu one. I'm also a citrus lover, so maybe you shouldn't take my word for it.

This is how I would review them

Yuzu > Passion fruit > Raspberry > Strawberry > Almond 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rajala said:

It's probably higher priced, it's only sold to their fancy club customers at the moment. I haven't got a quote yet but from the French stores online, it's seems to cost more.

I got raspberry samples as well. I liked it, but it pales in comparison to the yuzu one. I'm also a citrus lover, so maybe you shouldn't take my word for it.

This is how I would review them

Yuzu > Passion fruit > Raspberry > Strawberry > Almond 

That’s the order of preference I assumed in my head :). Thanks!

• Like 1