• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What can I do with failed soy sauce?

borad

I've made a batch but I mixed the beans with a blender didn't throw away the water and just mixed in the flour with koji kin. It was very wet and I kept the lid of the pot on, so it had no aeration. It had some white mold on top and it smells like really really bad feet. From what I read koji needs to smell pleasant (when made with rice). But I'm assuming I can't use this for soy sauce anymore. It doesn't smell foul more like really smelly cheese. Can I maybe make something else out of it?

I can't answer your question, but I did want to say that I'm impressed that you tried to make your own soy sauce...  it reminds me of when I was young and reading the Time Life series of international cuisine books and saw a description for SE Asian fish sauce.  Never seeing it in a store before (that stuff wasn't readily available back then), I tried to make it and it wound up being a horribly spectacularly smelling failure.

• Haha 1

When in doubt, throw it out. 

I was able to find this ancient eGullet discussion about making your own soy sauce:

"Making Soy Sauce At Home"

You may find some answers/resources in it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

.  it reminds me of when I was young and reading the Time Life series of international cuisine books and saw a description for SE Asian fish sauce.  Never seeing it in a store before (that stuff wasn't readily available back then), I tried to make it and it wound up being a horribly spectacularly smelling failure.

I like fish sauce, but can’t imagine it smelling very good at any step of the way :P  Likewise, I wonder if the soy sauce just went through an awkward phase, maybe it’s funky before it’s done but then it mellows out?

• Haha 1

@pastrygirl Ha!  One of these vacations, we're going to go to southern Vietnam - and spend a little time on Phu Quoc - a small island that while it is beautiful, is very well known for having several large fish sauce making facilities.  They say you can smell them for miles!

• Like 1

I've never tried to make soy sauce... but if I did, I think mold-encrusted "really really bad feet" would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of where I would drop out. :biggrin:

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.