• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to cook aubergine / eggplant?

EatPrayLove

I like to slice them on the thick side.  Put slices between paper towels and microwave on high for about 3 minutes until they are cooked but still firm.  Now you can brush them with oil mixed with whatever seasonings you like and grill or fry to get some colour.  An example would be basil, garlic and Parmesan mixed with olive oil.  Or curry powder and oil.

done this way minimizes the oil in the dish....eggplant is like a sponge.

• Like 3

I toss cubes in a mixture of honey and miso, and roast.

I also like the par-cooking in the microwave, sliced thin, and then using to roll up around a cheese or meat filling, like manicotti. Then cover with marinara sauce and bake.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sometimes I peel them, sometimes I don't. But, I do sprinkle the slices with salt and let them sit for a while. (I think that process sorts out some of the bitterness.)Then pat them dry, and use them to make eggplant parmesan, or in ratatouille.  My kids especially love them. 

Now, if I could only get the damn things to grow this far north! 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

41 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Two Chinese aubergine treatments. Both delicious.

Roumo Qiezi

Yu Xiang Qiezi

Man I love me some yu xiang qiezi!

Seconded!

I dice them, microwave them and toss with olive oil, garlic thyme, salt, pepper and chopped tomatoes.  Put them in a baking dish and bake slowly at a low temperature until it confits.

Then top with breadcrumbs, toast in a hot oven until crisp and serve.  Works great with beef, veal and pork.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oofencocotte said:

I've never made it but I used to love to eat this at the Japanese restaurant: Nasu Dengaku

https://www.pickledplum.com/recipe/nasu-dengaku-recipe/

I am usually of the very strong opinion that eggplant should go directly from wherever it came from into the compost bin. But that preparation might persuade me otherwise.  :) (Strong emphasis on the word might)

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lately--we have been doing a vegan rendition.

I like to stripe mine ( Long wise )..  so to leave a bit of the skin.

I dust in almond flour ( seasoned with Italian seasoning ) --dip in almond milk -  then in almond flour

This I let rest a few hours to dry--then fry in canola oil  ( shallow fry )- Salt after

Place cooled rounds in Marinara.. top with zucchini, red roasted peppers and almond cheese and a bit more Marnar and back 350 about 45 mins to hr covered

• Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

I have had success cutting it in cubes and roasting it with garlic in a clay pot on the grill while cooking meat so it catches some of the smoke. I usually peel it because the peel can make my mouth itch, unless it's had the shit cooked out of it.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.