• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart DLC-8 bowls

Kahrs

Oh they've done it again.  I have a an olde DLC-8F that does the right thing at the right time.  But the bowl has broken at one of the two locking tabs.  So, I've been looking at a replacement.   As eG readers know, the new plastic of the hour is Tritan.  So, a new bowl and lid will be $93 including shipping.  Maybe now's the time to upgrade?  What would you choose?  Upgrade or update?

Appreciative thanks for your consideration.

11 minutes ago, Kahrs said:

Oh they've done it again.  I have a an olde DLC-8F that does the right thing at the right time.  But the bowl has broken at one of the two locking tabs.  So, I've been looking at a replacement.   As eG readers know, the new plastic of the hour is Tritan.  So, a new bowl and lid will be $93 including shipping.  Maybe now's the time to upgrade?  What would you choose?  Upgrade or update?

Appreciative thanks for your consideration.

If yours is one of the old Japanese made Cuisinarts I'd replace the bowl.  That's what I did for my DLC-7.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'll weigh in with the same opinion. I have two, one I bought from the restaurant where I worked when going to school (25 years at that restaurant, 15 years and two restaurants with me) and one I bought locally from the online classifieds. I bought the second one for the bowl and discs that came with it, because I honestly expect the first one to outlive me.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

How old is old?  My little 7 cup one is late 90's, I only got a new one for more capacity.  It's a bit disappointing,  the larger capacity really only applies to light things.  I would put a 2kg jar of natural peanut butter in the small one and process to mix the oil back in.  I got a new 13 cup Cuisinart,  merrily put 2 jars of peanut butter in and it would barely move.  My double-batch dreams were dashed!

45 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

How old is old?  My little 7 cup one is late 90's, I only got a new one for more capacity.  It's a bit disappointing,  the larger capacity really only applies to light things.  I would put a 2kg jar of natural peanut butter in the small one and process to mix the oil back in.  I got a new 13 cup Cuisinart,  merrily put 2 jars of peanut butter in and it would barely move.  My double-batch dreams were dashed!

Old is old.

Check the country of manufacture.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

What exactly is the part number on the bowl that is broken? Usually it's embossed in the plastic somewhere. I am a collector of all old cuisinart parts so I may have a bowl that would fit. I know it doesn't fit my old cuisinart so I have no use for it. Would be happy to pass along for the cost of postage.

I recently found another whole machine - almost exactly the same as mine, Japanese made - at the dump. It went into my basement Cuisinart Museum for future use, if ever necessary.

• Like 4

The bowl part number is DLC-865AGTX.

I know about the Japanese motors which is why I always defend the machine from suggestions that I replace it.

• Like 1

Sorry - turns out your parts are exactly the same as mine so even if I do have a bowl that would fit your machine, I'll be keeping it until I inevitably need it. If I were you I would look on Ebay. I've found parts for my Cuisinart on there - sometimes just what I need; sometimes with extra bits I don't need. But still worth it if you're looking for any replacement parts.

Sorry for the false alarm. I thought maybe it might be a slightly different model.