• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Posted (edited)

I'm late to the game - anyone have any ideas for Father's Day? And I refuse to make to make chocolate golf balls. 

Edited by Smithy Adjusted title (log)
  • Like 1

This father loves fruit-topped cheesecake.

• Like 1

If you're okay with pandering to stereotypes, you could work bacon in there somewhere. Also, a belated welcome from a fellow Maritimer.

Thanks for the suggestions and thank you for the welcome. -

bacon and cheesecake - I wonder...  

42 minutes ago, Sue PEI said:

bacon and cheesecake - I wonder...  

Perhaps line individual cheesecake molds with bacon? I have a vague recollection of doing bacon-wrapped savory cheesecakes that way once, but it was during a spate of 110-hour weeks so I recall little of how it turned out.

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

Perhaps line individual cheesecake molds with bacon? I have a vague recollection of doing bacon-wrapped savory cheesecakes that way once, but it was during a spate of 110-hour weeks so I recall little of how it turned out.

Im thinking the bacon would be flabby if put in raw. Maybe precook it in the mold first. Or....Maybe a thick topping of crumbled candied bacon (and caramelized onion?). 

Well my dad loves lamb shanks but stepmom runs to the puke basin when she smells it.....SO I'm thinking of doing them in crockpot outdoors for he & I and roasting her some duck wings which she adores  - to ease her pain.  I've done the shanks with success in crockpot before.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By VistaGardens
      New useful shop toy acquired today:  a milk frother.  This small device is perfect for stirring pigment into cocoa butter when you are making your own colors, or need to mix up ones that have settled.  It makes no splatter like a hand held blender and is super easy to clean - just put it in a mug of hot soapy water...  I picked one up on Amazon for under $20US with a stand, thinking it might be good, and it was great!  Because the cocoa butter has a thicker viscosity than milk, it doesn't froth it, but does an excellent job of blending without the mess. 

• By DeanTheBaker
      Hi everyone,

I am someone who used to hate milk chocolate (and white as well) because they are always too sweet for me.
      but recently I got to try Valrhona's Bahibe 46% and it's really good; creamy and not sickeningly sweet.

After Valrhona has changed my mind, I'm on a quest to explore the world of milk chocolate.
      Are there any alternatives as good or even better? what's your preference when it comes to milk chocolate?

Thank you.
    • By eglies
      Hello there everyone! I am a new chocolatier and I am looking for someone who has some time to dedicate helping me set up my new business. I have questions mostly on recipes and equipment. Is anyone available?

Thank you
      Egli
    • By pastrygirl
      Who here hand dips chocolates, either with their actual hand, or with a fork?

I have a side job working with a woman who hand dips everything with her fingers in a puddle of chocolate on a sheet of parchment.  She's super fast at it, I tried it but it felt so messy and awkward.  I have done a little fork-dipping, so today dipped 300+ cookies with a fork and remembered why I hate fork dipping. 

So, anyone have any pointers, tricks,  or favorite dipping forks that don't make your hand go numb?  Today I used a dinner fork, I didn't have my actual chocolate dipping forks, but they have really thin metal handles that are hard to hold onto and horrible.  I need like the Good Grips version for people with arthritis and pastry chefs who have done too much piping ...
    • By Arlene13
      Posted 1 hour ago My truffles are cracking and leaking even when dipped at room temperature. 
      I am so frustrated! Also some centres are too soft to dip unless chilled or frozen, suggestions? Also anyone have a good butterscotch truffle recipe with no icing sugar or cream cheese involved?
      thank you!