• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

Two things:

1.  Worms/compost.  On a sunny winter day, no matter how cold, my compost is steaming, and I've never added worms.  There are some worms in it, but not artificially injected.

2.  Victory Garden.  The one I have is about vegetables, and unfortunately buried in a box underneath many other boxes (kitchen remodeling; just you wait!).  Advice on books.  Get a library card.  Get a PIN number from library.  Spend some time on-line with your local library requesting every book everyone has ever recommended; check them out; if you like them and deem them worthy, purchase them.  If you deem them not worthy, you have just saved yourself $$$$$.  I hardly ever buy a book anymore that I haven't had a chance to curl up with in advance of purchase.  One more book idea, this one written especially for MN, not IL, is Leon Snyder's Gardening in the Upper Midwest.  You might be able to check this one out from your library.  It might be a bit "northern" for you, but it, too, is a wonderful resourse.  It's published by the Minnesota Horticultural Society.

And, a motherly nag.  Have you found your local horticultural society?  Contacted your ag extension service?

Now, to winter maintenance.  Do you have a clue as to what perennials you have in your garden?  Some will need tending.  Roses may or may not need to be covered, clematises (sp?) that bloom on new wood need to be pruned, etc.  Trusting that you have had a hard freeze and the ground is freezing, now is the time to tend to these things -- before the snow gets too deep.  Did former owners leave any sort of map as to what was planted where?

I was just admiring the library in my new community yesterday as I waited for the bus. I'm gonna try to get there this weekend.

As for the hort. society, I'm workin' on it! :hmmm: I did check out the ag extension at UofI but have to return to the site for more digging around.

Perennials? All I know for sure right now is a large patch of hydrengas and a few overgrown rose plants that need attention. No one left a map of previous plantings. I'll have to wing it and see what comes up. The roses look to be thriving, but I might cover them anyway. Do you cut those back all the way or what? There's a section on them in my book, so I can look that up. Plus the publisher I work for had a holiday book sale (books for dirt cheap) and I picked up two gardening books.

Actually, with El Nino we haven't had much of any snow, though there's still a little on the ground. But the soil is still relatively soft.

That book published by the MN hort. society, I'm gonna take a look at it, but at the very least you've just made a great Christmas gift recommendation for my brother in law (he's up in Duluth). Thanks!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

The roses look to be thriving, but I might cover them anyway. Do you cut those back all the way or what?

Depends on what kind of roses on both counts. A good haircut never hurt most plants, and now is the time to do that, or you can wait until later in winter. I know that in MN, if one is growing hybrid teas, one generally buries them or covers them, but not necessarily with different kinds of roses. Check around in your neighborhood and see what other folks are doing (when possible, learn from other's mistakes).

Hydrangeas. Assuming that the flower heads are still on them, leave them all winter -- nice winter interest. Whack these back almost to the ground (leave about 6-10") in the spring when the daffodils are blooming.

The former owners of our house were nice enough to leave a "map" of the plantings, including the info sticks that came with the plants when they purchased them!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Well. Aren't you lucky! :raz: Our former owner had passed on and her neice handled the sale. She had been in a nursing home for several years prior (my wife works in a nursing home and says it's quite common that people hang onto their houses with the faint glimmer of hope that they'll return home eventually...isn't that sad?). I'm not sure if anyone was keeping up her garden, but if they were, they weren't doing a very good job. I've my work cut out.

So, dumb question of the day, I haven't a clue if they had daffodils anywhere in their landscape. If I buy some from the garden center, would that still give me just as good an idea of when to cut back the hydrangeas?

Oooh, I forgot to mention, I found a stone or brick structure in the back, kinda big (about 3 to 4 feet wide) that might be perfect for a compost bin. I think it was used as a fire pit (ashes!! oh yeah!) I just have to poke out a few bricks here and there to increase the air flow. It's in a perfect area that has a mix of direct sunlight and shade through the course of the day.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

So, dumb question of the day, I haven't a clue if they had daffodils anywhere in their landscape. If I buy some from the garden center, would that still give me just as good an idea of when to cut back the hydrangeas? 

No, you don't need to buy daffodil bulbs, and shouldn't this late in the season as they should have gone in about a month ago.

Someone on your way to and from the bus, will have daffodils. THis was my grandmother's advice -- meaning sometime early in March or so.

Ahh, yes. Catnip. a must for our garden. thanks for the reminder. The fresh stuff seems to have more effect on them (we once found some wild growing in my sister-in-law's back yard).

Ahh, yes. Catnip. a must for our garden. thanks for the reminder. The fresh stuff seems to have more effect on them (we once found some wild growing in my sister-in-law's back yard).

They love fresh catnip. And in fact when I know we have a friend that is not sure how friendly cats can be, I have been known to rub some catnip on their hands, or even on their trousers.. the cats will make that person their rubbing post. All sides are happy. :rolleyes:

They love fresh catnip.  And in fact when I know we have a friend that is not sure how friendly cats can be, I have been known to rub some catnip on their hands, or even on their trousers.. the cats will make that person their rubbing post.  All sides are happy. :rolleyes:

With your friend's permission, I hope.

"Suvir, what are you...the hell is that, man!?!" :raz:

They love fresh catnip.  And in fact when I know we have a friend that is not sure how friendly cats can be, I have been known to rub some catnip on their hands, or even on their trousers.. the cats will make that person their rubbing post.  All sides are happy. :rolleyes:

With your friend's permission, I hope.

"Suvir, what are you...the hell is that, man!?!" :raz:

I give them a vague idea of what is about to happen.. how they are soon going to become the cats favorite "Uncle or Aunt". :biggrin:

I have a couple of hybrid tea roses...you know, the high maintenance divas with the skinny legs. I underplant them with catnip. It hides the scrawny stems, the violet flowers look beautiful, and I have a constant supply for Willow the Cat.

Of course, it also attracts neighbourhood cats. Fine with me. The kitties desreve the equivalent of a couple of martinis in their lives!

And I haven't planted any more hybrid teas.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yippee! 'Tis the season to break out the Big Burpee '03 and build ye tomatocastles in the air!  Who's goin' with me?! Heirlooms? Which, and how many?  On Roma, On Celebrity on Lemon Boy and Beefsteak!

tomatocastles? in the air? Big Burpee? Can you explain this?

Yippee! 'Tis the season to break out the Big Burpee '03 and build ye tomatocastles in the air!  Who's goin' with me?! Heirlooms? Which, and how many?  On Roma, On Celebrity on Lemon Boy and Beefsteak!

Hop, you'll understand next year. :biggrin:

Try some Brandywines. They get big and ugly. But, they've got flavor!

Hop, you'll understand next year. :biggrin:

Try some Brandywines. They get big and ugly. But, they've got flavor!

I'm not very much into outward appearances anyway. It's what's inside that really matters. :smile:

Just last week I ate the last of my 'summer' tomato crop, a few golfball-sized green zebras and early girls (not exactly an heirloom variety, but dependable and tasty).

I had pulled the plants in late October and put all the little green tomatoes into a big enameled pot. As they ripened, we'd pull them out and slice them, sprinkle on olive oil and salt, and think about the warm weather that won't be back for many months.

Here in Portland we have moderate winters, and I've got cavolo nero (lacinato kale, black cabbage to the Italians), arugula, a few beets left in the ground (the roots get sweeter and you can keep clipping greens until it freezes), cardoon (and artichokes, but they won't produce anything until spring), and a few hardy herbs still growing. I planted shallots and garlic last month, and they'll grow all winter, too.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I planted my first Brandeywines last summer...as plants from my wonderful nursery. When we bit into the first ripe one, it was a revelation. I kid you not, it was as if I had finally understood what tomatoes are supposed to taste like and don't. Bless their big ugly knobbly cracked selves!

I don't have the growing season or a greenhouse set-up in which to start tomatoes from seed. But I will certainly make a point of buying at least one of every variety of heirloom I can find.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Can you plant from bad bulbs (gar and shall) you get from the grocery?

It's best to start with good "seed" garlic. Known stock. After that you can keep planting from what you grow. I bought some good garlic from someone that makes his living from garlic 5-6 years ago. Susie has been planting it ever since and it always turns out pretty well. Much better than is available in most stores.

Here in Maine you always plant the garlic in the fall. The next year it grows. Remember to plant the cloves individually (right side up) and not the whole bulb.

Edited by Nickn (log)

Bulb question: is it too late to plant bulbs? we've had a very mild late autumn thus far (the past two days have been in the 50's) for Chicago at least. The ground isn't frozen at all. It's probably too late.

So Maine, eh Nick? My wife and I honeymooned there a few years back. Stayed in Ogunquit, Boothbay Harbor, Bar Harbor and one other place that I forget now. You're a lucky man, what a beautiful state. Especially in the fall.

Hopleaf, I would go ahead and plant them, if you can still get the shovel in the ground. You already have the bulbs, right? What can you lose? Just a few minutes work.

If you don't plant them in the ground, you could force them--plant in pots, put somewhere cold but not freezing (unheated garage, fridge) til the end of February, then bring indoors.

Jess, if you like the taste of the garlic/shallots you have, you can plant it. I usually buy a pound or so of grocery store garlic and plant it in October. I didn't get it done this year--I decided to fall off the back steps and tear some ligaments instead. Bad choice. Not recommended. :wacko:

sparrowgrass

Bulb question: is it too late to plant bulbs? we've had a very mild late autumn thus far (the past two days have been in the 50's) for Chicago at least. The ground isn't frozen at all. It's probably too late.

Yes. They need time (and water) to get established before winter.

Plus, if you don't know what's already planted in your yard, you should wait and see what (if anything) comes up next spring. My friend had the idea to plant bulbs when they moved in (they moved in in October), and she ended up digging up a huge planting of very expensive, unusual bulbs (and destroying most of them in the process).

• 2 weeks later...

A great tip from the last issue(Jan 2003) of "House&Garden" magazine:

Q "We've got lots of ideas for our garden, but how can we get some sense of how they will actually look?"

A "The english decorator and garden designer David Hicks drew his ideas on black and white potographs. Look at his book Gardern Design (somewhat useless advice since the book is out-of-print, and is available starting from $125) on how he transformed stark houses with renderings of rose arbors and tree-lined walks.

Take photographs of your winter landscape and use them to play with different plants. Tape tarcking paper over the photos, or make enlarged copies, and try different fences, hedgesw, walls, pathways, pergolas, and so forth. By drawing in the mature sizes of trees and shrubs, you might save yourself time and trouble down he road."

Yippee! 'Tis the season to break out the Big Burpee '03 and build ye tomatocastles in the air!  Who's goin' with me?! Heirlooms? Which, and how many?  On Roma, On Celebrity on Lemon Boy and Beefsteak!

ahhh, Big Burpees. I'm starting to see the light. and Brandywines. mmm-hmmm. it's all coming together now.