• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

Stone:

What else do you have growing in those flowerpots?

I've got five separate pots: Thyme, Sage, Parsley, Rosemary, Basil, & Thai Basil.

I've seen some tiny black bugs, and went through a brief whitefly period. I can still see some small pale scales on the undersides of some leaves -- I think they may be white fly eggs. But I'm going to keep vigilent.

I was surprised to see that these caterpillars (or whatever they were) were so large -- about 1.5 inches at least. They weren't there in the morning when I watered. I assume they can't hatch and grow that much in a day. And I doubt they're being blown in on the wind.

I was surprised to see that these caterpillars (or whatever they were) were so large -- about 1.5 inches at least.  They weren't there in the morning when I watered.  I assume they can't hatch and grow that much in a day.  And I doubt they're being blown in on the wind.

Have you had any new dates over recently?

Gosh, a duck, a skunk and some knee high nylon stockings! :laugh:

This slug talk got me out in the garden and inspecting my hostas and basil! Guess what I found?? (Of course you *know* I screamed). A small brown snake! eeeek. And by it's reaction it was as afraid of me as I was of it!

So far, my only problems with the basil are pinching off those buds I know are going to be flowers, but like some miracle they regrow almost over night! :wacko:

I pulled 'em off and tossed them over the side.  I didn't see anymore, but in the morning found an inchworm on my Thai Basil.  How do I stop this madness?

One word...

Quack!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

my friend's mom puts mothballs in here shrubs to keep the cats from spraying them. not sure if this works for slugs, skunks, or rabbits for that matter. and the mothballs make the whole yard smell like my aunt's basement.

just a thought. probably a bad idea. nevermind.

Edited by tommy (log)

A sad coda to my previous post about Skunks as Slug Control. The big puppy next door killed Daddy Skunk last night. Call me a sentimental fool, but I'll miss him. And so will Mama and the sweet little baby skunks. (The air cleared about 4:00 am)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A sad coda to my previous post about Skunks as Slug Control.  The big puppy next door killed Daddy Skunk last night.  Call me a sentimental fool, but I'll miss him.  And so will Mama and the sweet little baby skunks. (The air cleared about 4:00 am)

:sad:

A sad coda to my previous post about Skunks as Slug Control.  The big puppy next door killed Daddy Skunk last night.  Call me a sentimental fool, but I'll miss him.  And so will Mama and the sweet little baby skunks. (The air cleared about 4:00 am)

:sad:

You'll have to buy a duck to take care of the slugs now.

What is your address again, Maggie?  I have a duck I will mail to you.

Thanks, Sparrow, I'll PM you. :smile:

But your brother did so well delivering those amazing eggs that maybe he's like some driving company next time he returns to the 'Ville?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Some time back I had problems with my Lemon Verbena and posted a thread asking about solutions and suggestions for its use. (thanks all!)

Well, the aphids and ants are gone! (yea!) It is regrowing healthly huge leaves and the surrounding marigolds are quite attractive. How big does this thing get? I've checked the plastic tag that came with the plant and, of course they don't tell you how invasive or rapid growing these herbs can be. :hmmm:

Also in another pot I got some Stevia. Any suggestions? I've got a scheme to use some of the dried pulverized leaves in this year's batch of lip gloss/chap stick tubes my friend and I make for stocking stuffers. What else?

I have grown herbs for years and, for some stupid reason, had never heard of Stevia. So, I googled it.

http://www.stevia.net/

This is either a paranoid rant or another example of your federal government at work.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Some time back I had problems with my Lemon Verbena and posted a thread asking about solutions and suggestions for its use.  (thanks all!)

Well, the aphids and ants are gone!  (yea!)  It is regrowing healthly huge leaves and the surrounding marigolds are quite attractive.  How big does this thing get?  I've checked the plastic tag that came with the plant and, of course they don't tell you how invasive or rapid growing these herbs can be.  :hmmm:

Pretty sure I just read the other night that it takes over the entire yard. The editorial in the gardening magazine (one of those BH&G quarterly things) was talking about something he's been trying to eradicate for the last dozen years and I'm 80% sure lemon verbena was it.

I have grown herbs for years and, for some stupid reason, had never heard of Stevia. So, I googled it.

http://www.stevia.net/

This is either a paranoid rant or another example of your federal government at work.

I grew stevia last year - the plant didn't survive a second season. It was just as described, though I never harvested the leaves for drying.

I've used stevia powder as a beverage "sweetener" for a few years, and have some "immune system tea" that contains stevia. I like the taste and the idea of it. Easy to believe the rants on that link, but also the helpful information.

The little package of Stevia Plus is labelled as a nutrional supplement. "You may wish to reduce your sugar use by 2 tsp. for each packet (.035 oz. / 1 gram) due to its natural and intense sweetness."

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what variety of green bean is grown for those skinny, puny, absolutely delicious "haricot vert" thingies? I had some at lunch. I have to grow some. I looked at several of the seed sites I go to and got conflicting or non-specific information.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Well, the aphids and ants are gone!  (yea!)  It is regrowing healthly huge leaves and the surrounding marigolds are quite attractive.  How big does this thing get?  I've checked the plastic tag that came with the plant and, of course they don't tell you how invasive or rapid growing these herbs can be.  :hmmm:

A lot of how invasive a plant gets has to do with where you live (that zone thing). I think the only thing that's really invasive here is the mint family (and a few perennials). A Minnesota winter really keeps things under control. :hmmm:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I have been reading about the ecstacies of sweet corn on some of the threads lately. Sweet corn is a nice thing and I enjoy it ok. But it doesn't hold a candle to the corn that you get in Mexico. Or, maybe, the corn you get in Mexico is an entirely different culinary experience. I am talking about the ears of corn that you might buy from the street vendor in Mexico City's Chapultapec Park. Here is a big ear of corn on a stick. You can get it dusted with chile powder, spritzed with lime juice, or (God forbid) with mayo. (Don't knock it.) It tastes like CORN, not sugar. I suspect that it is a variety of dent corn that is normally grown for other corn products, but I am not sure. I suspect that some of our domestic "field corn" has been bred to maximize some component or other for the chemical processing of corn. It probably does not resemble the corn grown to make the masa and eat out of hand.

All of that being said... I suspect that I will have to grow my own to reach corn Nirvana. Does anyone have any idea what variety of corn is grown in Mexico for such purposes?

If I don't get a lot of information from this post, I will start a thread on the Mexico forum and see what I come up with. All of you corn addicts really need to taste this variant.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I am copying this from a post I made in the Gardening thread in General Food Topics. If this kind of copying is a no-no, my apologies. But I am not too sorry because I am getting desparate and will have to find my seeds before next spring. I am hoping some of you can help...

"I have been reading about the ecstacies of sweet corn on some of the threads lately. Sweet corn is a nice thing and I enjoy it ok. But it doesn't hold a candle to the corn that you get in Mexico. Or, maybe, the corn you get in Mexico is an entirely different culinary experience. I am talking about the ears of corn that you might buy from the street vendor in Mexico City's Chapultapec Park. Here is a big ear of corn on a stick. You can get it dusted with chile powder, spritzed with lime juice, or (God forbid) with mayo. (Don't knock it.) It tastes like CORN, not sugar. I suspect that it is a variety of dent corn that is normally grown for other corn products, but I am not sure. I suspect that some of our domestic "field corn" has been bred to maximize some component or other for the chemical processing of corn. It probably does not resemble the corn grown to make the masa and eat out of hand.

All of that being said... I suspect that I will have to grow my own to reach corn Nirvana. Does anyone have any idea what variety of corn is grown in Mexico for such purposes?

If I don't get a lot of information from this post, I will start a thread on the Mexico forum and see what I come up with. All of you corn addicts really need to taste this variant."

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

There are hundreds of differant types of corn in Mexico. Corn cross-pollinates easily so new varieties keep popping up. more here

If you want to get some good corn in the US I would try to find a farmer who specializes in heirloom vegetables. Most of the corn today has been bred for sweetness, and I agree it doesn't have the same "corniness".

I've never had a piece of fresh field corn, but I bet that if you saw a farmer growing it he'd sell you some.

I also like the elotes in Mexico, especially with mayo, lime, chile powder, and cotija cheese.