• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

Lemon Balm and Catnip also spring to mind as fairly invasive. I've never had that much trouble with my particular Catmint plant; but, I've read some of them will self seed profusely.

Greek Oregano and French Tarragon will sucker a little bit; but, nothing like the mints.

Oh, and, while not invasive, in my climate, rosemary, lemon verbena, and lavender get to be big plants eventually.

edit - add a few more herbs.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Don't forget horseradish. I planted a sprouting root one year in our sandy flower bed next to the house, and was delighted to see leaves break the surface of the planting area only a couple of weeks later. A month after planting (well, it may have been 6 weeks) its leaves towered over everything else in the plot. My darling husband asked what that was, and when I proudly told him, he said, "You'd better move it, or it'll come through the foundation next spring." I didn't believe him at first, but when his brother also advised me that the monster would be knocking at our door come fall and we'd NEVER get rid of it, I decided to move it. That sprout couldn't have been planted more than 4 months, and already the tap root had split in 2 or 3 directions. I was down past my shoulder, digging through after the tendrils, before I got enough to be satisfied. The remainder of my dear giant (I named it Fingol) was replanted at the edge of the woods, where it can fight with the spruce. It hasn't come back in the flower bed, at least, so we haven't needed to do house renovations, and I haven't had to listen to my dear bro-in-law say "I told you so". :laugh:

I often think it would be interesting to plant lupine, horseradish and mint in the same plot and see who won. Someone in Washington (state) said some time back that lupine isn't invasive...but it's very aggressive around here.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oregano is very invasive. I planted a 1/2" pot in the middle of the garden one Memorial Day weekend and by mid-July, it had moved out into the yard. Some 6' away.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We have a deck of our own this year - hurrah - and plan to do a couple of potted plants on it.  We want to have one of the pots filled with herbs - can someone help me out here?  I've always lived in a cement jungle where gardening is a bit out of reach, so this will be my first time planning something like this.  If I want 3 or 4 different types of herbs in a pot, how big do I need to go?  Spacing?  Herbs that won't be fussy growing near each other?  Thanks in advance.

not sure where you're located or what size pots you intend to use, but down here in Austin, I can't grow more than one herb per 12-inch pot - you'll sacrifice crop if you crowd. And my basil, when not planted in the ground, loved being in a half-whiskey barrel - it and oregano can reach to three feet across and high. I like planting many of my herbs in thick white clay 12-inch pots because I can regulate the water easier than in the groundm and many herbs like well-draining soil. Never had any real thriving success with thyme or sage before pots. Only oregano, chives, Mexican marigold mint [our tarragon substitute], and basils are planted directly in the landscape.

basil is a little more touchy than some others, but on the bright side it grows fast and is an annual anyway, so if it dies just start over.

The reason many people have problems with basil is that they plant it too early. You need to wait until the soil has really warmed up, say early to mid-Summer depending on your location. Don't bother with nursery plants. It grows from seed very well. Keep the plants well trimmed and they will really bush out.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Why shouldnt one compost tomato plants ? (this was mentioned earlier on this thread)

Does anyone know how to manually pollinate tomato flowers? We have lots of lovely yellow flowers, and the bees seem to have left town. They arent visiting the citrus and they arent visiting the rosemary. Usually I can just plop the tomato pots next to the rosemary for a day or two and the bees do their little magic powder transfer, and baby tomatoes happen. I looked at the tomato flowers closely and it looks like microsurgery might be necessary to use the paintbrush method of pollination. Anyone tried this?

I wonder if orchard mason bees are allowed in CA. (also mentioned upthread). Must google.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Why shouldnt one compost tomato plants ? (this was mentioned earlier on this thread)

Does anyone know how to manually pollinate tomato flowers? We have lots of lovely yellow flowers, and the bees seem to have left town. They arent visiting the citrus and they arent visiting the rosemary. Usually I can just plop the tomato pots next to the rosemary for a day or two and the bees do their little magic powder transfer, and baby tomatoes happen. I looked at the tomato flowers closely and it looks like microsurgery might be necessary to use the paintbrush method of pollination. Anyone tried this?

Composting isn't recommended in areas where tomatoes are prone to diseases, especially fungal diseases, because the compost often doesn't get hot enough to kill the spores. You'd then be spreading disease when you till the compost into your garden. Healthy vines could go into the compost with no problem.

You don't need to hand-pollinate your tomato flowers. Most varieties self-pollinate, although you will get higher fruit-set if insects are present. You can "trip" the flowers by shaking the tomato vines or by brushing your hands across the flowers. This basically shakes loose the pollen in the flowers so that they get fertilized. I've found that kids love to help out with this method.

Sigh. I can't even put out seedlings in my garden for another month.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Flower-shaking will commence immediately I arrive home. Thank you!, from me and from my soon-to-be Happy Hula Tomatoes.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I think thats nonsense regarding compost and tomatoe plants...

We have had our own compost heap for years, and besides horse sh!t, there is nothing better for tomatoe plants, or any plants for that matter then some good healthy compost!

I just dug up a 25X6 foot bed for veggies, cant wait to start planting!

Just wanted to pop in and share that we found a house in Oregon (Milwaukie area) with a HUGE back yard. I'll be there by June 5th, and am already planning my garden. There's already a large rosemary plant out by the front door, which will be joined shortly by quite a few other herbs. Can't wait to start!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Two questions: are parsley and oregano perennials? I had planted some last spring, and they served me well right up to winter, but I expected to have to re-plant them this spring. However, I have parsley and oregano doing just fine so far. Maybe they went to seed and it's new plants that are growing?

Second, what can I do to protect my rosemary? My parents in western Oregon had a rosemary plant (it was more of a shrub, really) that was huge, and survived the mild winters there without noticeable trouble. Here in SE PA, my rosemary plant died off even in the relatively mild winter we had this year.

Oregano is a perennial. Parsley is a biennial, and typically goes to seed fairly quickly in the second year. Most biennials are replanted annually. To increase the chances of rosemary surviving the winter, provide excellent drainage (raised bed, gritty soil). Wet winter soil kills many plants that would otherwise survive. To improve chances of survival, plant rosemary near a heat sink (brick wall, poorly-insulated house). Certain rosemary cultivars such as ‘Arp’ are more cold-tolerant.

De Baggio’s Herb Farm and Nursery usually carries a good selection of hardy varieties. Bottom line: rosemary is marginally hardy in SE PA. In Maryland, ours died over the winter every 5-10 years. Replacing the plant is still cheaper than buying rosemary at the store, though.

Good luck -- Bruce

Bottom line: rosemary is marginally hardy in SE PA. In Maryland, ours died over the winter every 5-10 years. Replacing the plant is still cheaper than buying rosemary at the store, though.

this is my experience as well, except it's more like every 2-3 years. i think i'm on my third rosemary plant since i moved into this house in 1999. i'm growing them in pots, though, so they're even more susceptible to being frozen.

You might have better luck with the newish Rosemary variety called Arp. It is hardy to a somewhat lower temp., apparently. I used to replace my rosemary annually here in south central PA (zone 6), but since getting two Arps, they've been surviving. They are in a slightly raised bed near my house. The one in the corner closest to the el fares the best. The one that is more exposed is smaller but hasn't been killed.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

sadistick,

I meant why is it bad to put tomato plants in the compost heap to rot.

I got a good answer. Especially since one of mine is fighting a nasty.

I wonder if orchard mason bees are allowed in CA. (also mentioned upthread). Must google.

I have used the paintbrush method successfully; it is quite easy, and a good chore for children.

Just take a damp watercolor brush and brush over the flower. You will move the pollen and the brush will pick up enough pollen to fertilize the next one. Just like a bee.

I don't know about that particular bee, but I do know there are bee keepers down your way - or at least, there used to be. You might be able to pursuade someone to bring a hive out your way for a while. On a side note, I remember last year reading about bee rustlers, of all things, up in the Central Valley!

Just wanted to pop in and share that we found a house in Oregon (Milwaukie area) with a HUGE back yard. I'll be there by June 5th, and am already planning my garden. There's already a large rosemary plant out by the front door, which will be joined shortly by quite a few other herbs. Can't wait to start!

Congratulations, Kathy! I'd forgotten you were moving, although it was much-discussed in your last blog. How great that you've found a good gardening place.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hi all,

Hope this is the correct place to post. My husband calls me a (gasp!) plant killer. They usually die under my care. But I perservere nonetheless in hopes that someday I'll get it right. We have a raised flower bed in our back and I long for tomatoes, fresh herbs and whatever else catches my fancy. Which brings me to this question...

I was weeding this weekend, and came across some curious plants that did not look like weeds. They reminded me of scallions, but the leaves were flat and narrow, and tapered at the ends. Just green leaves and white bulbs, no other color variations. And by looking at them, they seemed to have been planted very methodically--in rather neat rows. I also came across what looked to be a small potato.

Now the back story is that we have been living in this house for a little over a year, and I didn't have time to do any gardening last summer. Everything that is in the back has been planted by the previous owners. I don't remember if they were there last year. IOW, I have no idea what is back there.

I guess the easy thing to do would be to take pictures and hopefully someone can help me identify these plants.

But the main question is...is there some sort of trick or method to test if they're edible, other than popping it into my mouth? Is that safe?

Signed, someone who doesn't know what the heck she's doing.

Thanks!

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I was weeding this weekend, and came across some curious plants that did not look like weeds.  They reminded me of scallions, but the leaves were flat and narrow, and tapered at the ends.  Just green and white, no other color variations.  And by looking at them, they seemed to have been planted very methodically--in rather neat rows.  I also came across what looked to be a small potato. . .

. . .the main question is...is there some sort of trick or method to test if they're edible, other than popping it into my mouth?  Is that safe?

If your plants are in the allium (onion) genus, they will exude an odor similar to onions/garlic/chives. Offhand, I can't recall any alliums with green and white leaves. Did the plants form bulbs underground? There are many small species of bulbing plants with leaves like you describe. Potatoes can winter over, you'll know for certain when it sprouts. Were you weeding in a flower bed or a vegetable garden?

It's a bad idea to taste any plant if you don't know what it is. It better to take a sample of plants into your local nursery to have them indentified.

And one further warning: gardening is as addictive as cooking!

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

I was weeding this weekend, and came across some curious plants that did not look like weeds.  They reminded me of scallions, but the leaves were flat and narrow, and tapered at the ends.  Just green and white, no other color variations.  And by looking at them, they seemed to have been planted very methodically--in rather neat rows.  I also came across what looked to be a small potato. . .

. . .the main question is...is there some sort of trick or method to test if they're edible, other than popping it into my mouth?  Is that safe?

If your plants are in the allium (onion) genus, they will exude an odor similar to onions/garlic/chives. Offhand, I can't recall any alliums with green and white leaves. Did the plants form bulbs underground? There are many small species of bulbing plants with leaves like you describe. Potatoes can winter over, you'll know for certain when it sprouts. Were you weeding in a flower bed or a vegetable garden?

It's a bad idea to taste any plant if you don't know what it is. It better to take a sample of plants into your local nursery to have them indentified.

And one further warning: gardening is as addictive as cooking!

April

I didn't think it was a good idea to just pop them into my mouth.

I was weeding in what appears to be a flower bed. I have no idea what the previous owners planted. My raised bed is in the shape of an inverted U. There were daffodils along the curved part, and the plants in question are along the straight sides. About the leaves, they were all green, and the bulb was white. (I clarified my post.) The bulb was small, much like a scallion.

Thanks, April. I will take it to a nearby nursery and ask them to help me. And I do see a possible new addiction in the future!!

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I didn't think it was a good idea to just pop them into my mouth.

I was weeding in what appears to be a flower bed.  I have no idea what the previous owners planted. My raised bed is in the shape of an inverted U.  There were daffodils along the curved part, and the plants in question are along the straight sides.  About the leaves, they were all green, and the bulb was white.  (I clarified my post.)  The bulb was small, much like a scallion. 

Thanks, April.  I will take it to a nearby nursery and ask them to help me.  And I do see a possible new addiction in the future!!

You're right, I misinterpreted your post. All-green leaves increases the number of possibilities of what you have. You could plant annual herbs in the bed after the bulbs are done flowering. :smile:

April

Being as daffodils and their cousins are poisonous, you're right. Its not a good idea to pop something into your mouth, unknown. Good luck identifying it! (give it a couple weeks, it may bloom and identify itself. I have a similarly mysterious garden).

Does anyone have snail problems???

As in - you plant 30 lettuce plants and within 3 days they are all gone???

How have you handled this problem??

By the way - no question that it was the snails - I ended up putting snail poison around the borders of the garden (it is enclosed in "lovely" cement) ... the next day my sidewalk had about 50 snails (on each side) - replanted some lettuce and it is still alive and growing.

Anyone know what I can plant at the start of June in Portland, Oregon? I'll most likely be using purchased plants and not seed, aside from some lettuce and radishes that are fast growing.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Anyone know what I can plant at the start of June in Portland, Oregon? I'll most likely be using purchased plants and not seed, aside from some lettuce and radishes that are fast growing.

Early Girl tomatoes might give you fruit by August, especially if they have a head start. This website says they reach maturity within 57-63 days.

As long as you're using pots, plant an herb garden. You won't regret it.

edited to add: Here is the gardening calendar for Oregon provided by the Oregon State University Extension. You can probably email someone there if you need more information.

Here is what they recommended for May plantings in the Portland area:

Western valleys, Portland, Roseburg, Medford: snap and lima beans, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupes, slicing and pickling cucumbers, dill, eggplant, kale, peppers, pumpkins, summer and winter squash, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, watermelon.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver