• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

My gardening season is over, and everyone here agrees it was the summer that never was, although we have had a beautiful fall.  All I planted this year were tomatoes and basil, and my tomato plants did not produce well.  The flavor was wonderful, but the texture off, and I'm sure that had something to do with the many, many cool nights and days.

Had I known that September and October (at least thus far) would be so spectacular -- eclipsing summer, in face -- I would have yanked my tomato plants in August and put in a crop of spinach and lettuce.  The greens at the farmer's market have been the best I've ever seen and we've had them all summer, which is unusual.

How would everyone else rate their season?

Well, snowangel, first off, I'd like to say I'm glad you got something out of that patch. Those first posts on your snowy cold garden really broke my heart.

My season ended early this year, for the simple reason that I let it die. Before that I had a pretty good harvest, esp of peppers this year, but I neglected everything, and nothing was as good as it could have been. And next year, I'll have even less time.

I'm starting to sprout and plant beets, carrots, spinach, a host of korean seeds: herbs, greens, cabbages, and radishes. For those of you in a colder environment, if you start carrots (and I forget what else) sometime in the summer, you can throw some hay or something over them and then be able to dig them throughout the winter. At least that's what I've read in various magazines and books. Here in Southern California, I can't really put that tip to the test.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

More pics from the garden:

Beautiful pics GG Mora. Those pattypan squash are just beautiful. And the cauliflower is so big! Also, I've never had delicata squash and when someone gives me seed, I give it away. How does it taste and what do you use it for?

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 3 weeks later...

Official gardening season results are in and tabulated from Chez Hopleaf and there will not be a recount.

Squirrels: 2

Hopleaf: 0

That's the second season in a row that those cute furry-tailed critters have decimated my tomato crop. I'm asking Santa for an air gun for Christmas. (I know, I know...I'll shoot my eye out!)

My herbs did very well this year tho, good lavender, great thyme, and the old trusty sage kicked butt.

And my raspberry brambles are ready for transplant. Started those two years ago and waited with baited breath as some of them didn't look too healthy.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I looked out into my yard and spied a half-eaten yellow thingie - turns out the squirrels had taken the two ripening Meyer lemons right off my short tree-inna-pot and ate half of one before deciding to save the second one for later - they've been digging up pecans previously stored, wonder if the lemon is underground?

It was a pathetic season here -- for everyone -- for warm weather crops Herbs and greens were spectacular, tho. I picked the wrong spot in our new back yard for tomatoes, but in prep for next year, I have figured out the perfect spot, have laid down a mess of compost, cardboard and mulch. Will til it in in the spring, and perhaps wait a year.

My neighbors cat from hell keeps the varmints away.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

More pics from the garden:

Beautiful pics GG Mora. Those pattypan squash are just beautiful. And the cauliflower is so big! Also, I've never had delicata squash and when someone gives me seed, I give it away. How does it taste and what do you use it for?

Delicata is probably the finest winter squash I've ever tasted. Just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and bake it as you would an acorn squash. The flesh is orange, has no stringiness, is never watery and is incredibly sweet. No brown sugar needed, just a little butter. Try it, you'll never eat an acorn squash again. When I was farming I grew this and Kabocha and sold every one either at the farmer's market or the local organic produce distributor for a premium price.

From Dixon, Wyoming

Hopleaf:  0

How big is your garden? I bought this (click here) for my brother. He uses it in his backyard garden and says it works for him. You have to move it around every once in awhile so the critters don't get used to its location.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

How big is your garden? I bought this (click here) for my brother. He uses it in his backyard garden and says it works for him. You have to move it around every once in awhile so the critters don't get used to its location.

My garden's not too big, probably about 12'X12'. I've seen those motion-activated sprinklers before. But I'm not convinced it's a good solution as I'd have to have a continuous feed of water into it and I don't trust my plumbing. Thanks for the suggestion tho. Think I'll go with the air gun...or maybe try to trap the little buggers and release them in another state....maybe Alaska. :biggrin:

I don't mind feeding the squirrels, actually, I just want to get some of my own tomatoes. At least they don't touch the peppers.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Official gardening season results are in and tabulated from Chez Hopleaf and there will not be a recount.

That's the second season in a row that those cute furry-tailed critters have decimated my tomato crop. I'm asking Santa for an air gun for Christmas. (I know, I know...I'll shoot my eye out!)

My herbs did very well this year tho, good lavender, great thyme, and the old trusty sage kicked butt.

And my raspberry brambles are ready for transplant. Started those two years ago and waited with baited breath as some of them didn't look too healthy.

dude, not to get PETA on my tail, but have you considered the uh, "invisible fence" routine?

dude, not to get PETA on my tail, but have you considered the uh, "invisible fence" routine?

heh, no, I haven't considered that. but unless they're battery operated, supplying...ahem...power would be an issue.

Besides, there comes a point when you are faced with a problem like this and you just balk at the fact that these creatures are forcing you to spend money on things you otherwise would not. Even tho an airgun would fall into this category, I guess it sits better with me because i could find other uses for it. Target practice, (drumming my fingers thoughtfully here)....um....target practice! and uh...well look at the time.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

The gardens, new as undeveloped as they are, have been put to bed, today. It has been a most glorious and "late" fall. Never have I put the hoses away so late. Never have I waited so long to do the last mow of the year.

I have laid down compost, a layer of compost, and a mess of mulch on the Place Where I Will Plant Tomatoes in the future (the spot I chose this year proved to be the wrong spot, but we just moved late last spring, and that spring/early summer light and warmth is far different than what is required later in the summer).

The tomato plants that produced so poorly this past summer -- it didn't help that it was an almost record-breaking cool summer -- have been pulled and thrown away (never compost tomato plants).

A few weeks ago, I harvested all of the basil and food-processed it with EVVO, rolled it into logs and froze it. Also did that with the Thai and Holy basils. Success! The latter two basils do not dry or preserve well, so tried this method and it works. The same flavor, the same strong quality.

So, the tools, the mower and the hoses have been put away. I changed the oil in the mower, washed it off and put it in an out of the way place. The compost has been watered and stuff added (not that it will do anything at this time of year, but it will next spring).

The only sad note was that Paul tuned up the snowblower.

The gardening books are in an honored place on my night stand. Time to plan for next year! I wonder when I will get the first seed catalogue?

We're not quite ready for bed yet! I keep saying this, but we now have a couple dozen more green and growing tomatoes about golf ball to baseball size. :blink: If it gets down in the 30s as weatherman is saying later this week I'll have to pick those and most of everything else still growing. Japanese eggplant (which often go until nearly Xmas time for me here), basils, and Anas, jalapeno peppers will all come up if it gets too cool abruptly now. This has been a strange season. The last of the Tabascos will get plucked for vinegar sprinkle, but I don't pull those plants as about 50% will come back.

I plan to just cut back the mint bed to harvest all I can, toss on some compost and see how it does in the spring.

The thymes (so I've been advised) should overwinter fine here. :unsure: They are bedded this year as well as the garlic chives and oregano. Anyone have any comments on overwintering herbs in beds? I've always grown the thymes in pots but plunked them down in beds with the basils this year and they have been the best ever! Would hate to lose them. The oregano is still a baby, started from a cutting this summer. Should I dig it up, pot it and bring it in?

Seed catalogs . . . should be arriving in the dead of winter here :laugh: to make us dream sweet dreams of little sprouts in the spring.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to think about what I'm going to grow this year. I've done a little gardening before, but this year I want to do more than putter at it.

How about some recommendations for vegetables, and varieties of vegetables? Ditto with herbs. Recipes for little-known varieties, if you care to share. (What does one do with cinnamon basil, anyway?)

I'd especially love to hear recommendations for tomatoes. According to the local nursery, they all taste wonderful (which, to an extent, is surely true) but which do you think is the best variety?

What do you always plant, and what do you do with it?

It might be good if a moderator would merge this thread with the Gardening, the thread thread. That is the thread to go to. Discusses successes, failures, favorites.

As an aside, I have my gardening books and seed catalogues right on my nightstand and dream every night about the coming season, which today, seems awfully far away.

And, I sure wish everyone who is a gardener and is posting would post their location (thanks, jgm, for doing so!).

Moderator's Note: Threads have been merged.

Until this gets merged with the Gardening thread, I'll add a suggestion here to grow your herbs in pots instead of in your garden. Some herbs spread like weeds and can takeover a garden if you're not vigilant. Pots work better at containing them.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My wife and I live on a heavily wooded lot, so unfortunately a "real garden" isn't an option. However, this year we will be growing a wide variety of herbs in pots.

Any tips from pot-growers? My wife would be better asking this, since she's the green thumb in the family, but her account is restricted 'cause she hasn't ever posted here much.

Caveat: We have LOTS of wild critters around. Rabbits, dogs, squirrels, chipmunks, moles, etc. Better to grow them inside? We live in a glass house. :wink:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

My wife and I live on a heavily wooded lot, so unfortunately a "real garden" isn't an option.  However, this year we will be growing a wide variety of herbs in pots.

Any tips from pot-growers?  My wife would be better asking this, since she's the green thumb in the family, but her account is restricted 'cause she hasn't ever posted here much.

Caveat: We have LOTS of wild critters around.  Rabbits, dogs, squirrels, chipmunks, moles, etc.  Better to grow them inside?  We live in a glass house.    :wink:

Growing in pots. It works. Use way bigger pots than you think. Those cute little pots on the window sill grow cute little plants. Fine for some herbs, but if you want the basil shrubs I had last year, you need big pots. The kind you put on the floor.

Second. Pots require a lot of water. Not only do you lose moisture from the top of the soil, but from the sides as well.

Third. If you expect a nice rain, put the pots outside. No amount of tap water will equate to a good rain soak.

So our plum tree that weve had for over 10 years finally got sick and the gardener had to pull it out. my mom mentioned to our gardener that we were thinking of putting in a vegetable garden, so he pulled out our perfectly fine apple tree that was going to have its first true crop. :sad:

oh well. i guess its time to start thinking about what we will plant. the side yard is probably has over 30 feet long and 3-4 feet wide growing opporitunities. So far, weel probably get some straberries or blueberries, some yukon golds, misc. spices (cilantro and basil are a must,) some sort of tomato, cucumbers, and some chinese winter melon (cause you cant find them around here too easily.) What else should we grow? were in the SF bay area, so anything that can grow in the mediterranean can pretty much grow here no prob.

Sorry about the plum and the apple. I'd get a trellis sheet from Home depot and plant some sort of peas, or beans. what about heirloom tomatoes? cilantro and basil are herbs, and I'd add rosemary, a bay tree, ginger, chives, lemon grass, thyme, sage and some containted mint. I use rosemary and lemon grass as border plants. the bay is in a large pot. plant the basil next to the rosemary to help with water control, rosemary has to have good drainage. If there's extra water around the basil will drink it up. Try www.richters.com for any and all things herbal, pluse scented geraniums, and heirlooms. good luck. (if you have a wall, and want to discourage visitors over said wall, check out some thorny berries...it works for us!)

So our plum tree that weve had for over 10 years finally got sick and the gardener had to pull it out. my mom mentioned to our gardener that we were thinking of putting in a vegetable garden, so he pulled out our perfectly fine apple tree that was going to have its first true crop.  :sad:

oh well. i guess its time to start thinking about what we will plant. the side yard is probably has over 30 feet long and 3-4 feet wide growing opporitunities. So far, weel probably get some straberries or blueberries, some yukon golds, misc. spices (cilantro and basil are a must,) some sort of tomato, cucumbers, and some chinese winter melon (cause you cant find them around here too easily.) What else should we grow? were in the SF bay area, so anything that can grow in the mediterranean can pretty much grow here no prob.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your trees. I feel your pain...I once came very close to violence when a tennant murdered a very productive grapefruit tree because it was messy.

When it comes to the, "what to plant" question. I plant things I can't buy easily or inexpensively like: fennel (Florence variety), salsify, artichokes, saffron (crocus bulbs), rasberries and heirlooms of various stripes. For reasons of space and water...I always avoid squash and cucumbers and things that are inexpensive and not that much better right out of the garden. Better still, plant what you love.

i better start making a list (and heirlooms are definitely on it!) actually, we used to have cucumbers back before our dog killed the garden and they were absolutely fantastic. were definitely doing them again and we have enough room to do plenty of squashes, too. hell, you should have seen our strawberry 'weed' that almost strangled out three other crops. and that was with a fraction of the room.

english shelling peas. they are unbelievably better than what you can buy fresh. i also love growing hot peppers and all kinds of tomatoes. i think cherry tomatoes are the sweetest - and definitely very prolific! i'd plant a meyer lemon tree too...and artichokes and definitely onions and leeks. i have a little alium section of my garden with cippolini onions that i wipe off and eat raw. they're so sweet. i'm jealous that you can berries to grow. the squirrels ate all of ours.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

english shelling peas. they are unbelievably better than what you can buy fresh. i also love growing hot peppers and all kinds of tomatoes. i think cherry tomatoes are the sweetest - and definitely very prolific! i'd plant a meyer lemon tree too...and artichokes and definitely onions and leeks. i have a little alium section of my garden with cippolini onions that i wipe off and eat raw. they're so sweet.  i'm jealous that you can berries to grow. the squirrels ate all of ours.

thank god most of the squirrels are on the other side of town. i think we only have one and a hare around here. there are a couple meyer trees around here already and i dont use them that much as it is. theres really no way to get heirlooms around here and i doubt ive ever had one. :blink: I think i might as well do some cherry tomatoes too just for the hellovit. ive never cooked with cippolini either, actually. can you use them in place of whites when it comes to tex-mex, or do they taste more like reds?

How fun!

Pay attention to the light that this spot gets, and plan accordingly. I made a big mistake this year when I put tomatoes in. I put them in early in June, and a couple of the trees weren't fully leafed out. And, as this was the first summer in this house, I didn't know exactly how the light would travel around the yard over the course of the summer.

Be sure and prep the spot really well. Till in way more organic matter than you think.

Keep us posted on the progress. As we approach sub-zero this week, my seed catalogues and gardening books will remind me that yes, summer always comes.