• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

Well, we have another foot of show, and are back in the deep freeze (cancelled trip up north because of -20's at night :hmmm: ). Yesterday morning, I was bemoaning the fact that it didn't seem like spring would ever come, I'd never see another blooming or growing thing in my garden, etc., so I took a nap.

When I awoke, Diana and Peter had made a mess of origami flowers and taped them to the windows I look out of to watch my garden. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

yeah, we got dumped on last week and had a little more white stuff here and there through the weekend. In fact last night was the coldest March night on record (I found that hard to believe) at -2. But, alas, we're supposed to be in the sixties by Saturday. Bye-bye snow, hello spring buds!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I think I will skip the onions this year.  I never have good luck, lots of rotten ones and the ones that aren't rotten are always way hot.

Sparrow - Try Stuttgarter onion sets. They're a fairly mild onion and keep very well. I've had them keep until the middle of June. In order to get them (or any other onion) to keep well, pull them at the end of the season and then dry them for at least a week. I've done this on decks, low pitch porch roofs (or is it rooves?), and in attics that are hot (on sunny days) in the fall. After they've dried cut the tops off, put them in onion bags, and keep in a cool dry place. As the months go on, sort through the onions once in awhile and remove any that are getting soft and getting ready to rot. Same with the ones that are starting to sprout.

I don't know as I'd get potatoes for seed from a grocery store. Hard to tell what you might be getting.

Jackal - rub it in. We've still got a foot and a half of snow around here and this morning it was 5 degrees. :sad:

Edited by Nickn (log)

Here in my Boulder, Colorado garden the tiny purple crocuses are sporting their flowers, as are the early wild iris. Leaves of daffodils and tulips are pushing up, and bearded iris and grape hyacinth fronds are poking out of the ground. Hens and chicks are greening and purpling, sedum are turning deep red and pink. The silver buffaloberry is budding, and when I look very closely, I can see the swelling buds on the shrub roses. We're still a few weeks away from trees leafing out, but the faint green shimmering of spring is apparent. Now if only we would get some snow so we have water this summer; we're still in the grip of drought.

The daffodils are early this year; the minitue tete-a-tete have been out for a couple of weeks, and the larger ones following on. The tete-a-tete look fine with the snowdrops still blooming.

The crocus's have come up in drifts, but in my garden they are pecked to bits by the birds; the rooks are busy building their untidy nests. I counted a dozen in the coppice today. Roses and shrubs showing their first green, and the hazel waving their catkins. The forsythia and winter jasmine in full bloom. Wild cherry and plum blossom just coming out in the hedgerows

The ground (heavy clay) is still claggy; dug some jerusalem artichokes for soup and fo roasting

Went to the garden shop yesterday, bought some new planters, dirt, and now have my herb garden starting the the backyard:

common sage

purple sage

marjoram

flat leaf parsley

curly parsley

thyme

rosemary

I love spring! :biggrin:

EDIT:

can't forget the mint that is springing :biggrin: up everywhere!

Even used it in last night's dinner.

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

nickn, my grocery store has SEED potatoes, and onion sets. I have, however planted grocery store potatoes, sprouty old things that have been under the sink too long, and have done well with them.

I ordered some blue potatoes--can't wait to try them.

I could probably plant today, but this dang job is interfering with my gardening time. Supposed to be 60 degrees, and the garden is dry enough.

sparrowgrass

Last year I had corn, peppers and eighteen tomato plants, putting my tribe into lycopene overdrive. This year we move to the suburban wasteland and my yard will be roughly the size of your largest closet, but I shall take a page from Jaymes' book and container up--on the roof, if I must. (sigh) The things we sacrifice for better schools and one day drycleaning........

I grow grapes, but it is at best marginal in the UK. I've only a couple of vines though, mostly for decoration.

According to the archeologists the south facing gentle slopes round here may have been Roman vinyards. Roll on climate change!

The commercial orchard down the road at Coton have a small vinyard that make a passable, if a bit light, white wine The variety I grow is Triumphe de Alsace, which makes small, pippy grapes. Hopeless wine, but good grape jelly.

I do have blue potatoes chitting though. Originally microplants from Tuckers Seeds I sved seed last year. They are blue all the way through.

Leeks. Haven't tried them in a pot, but it may be worth a try...

Grapes. My mother-in-law (also in Minneapolis) has grape vines. Some years are good, some not so good, but that tends to be the story with gardening. My favorite grape memory is visiting my sister in Washington D. C. a few years ago, before they moved to Berkeley. They lived near Rock Creek Park. It was August, and hotter than hell. No ventilation in the house. They had tons of grape vines, all loaded with huge, wonderful grapes. We'd get up early in the morning, go outside and eat breakfast off the vines; we'd turn on the hose and wash the grapes and cool ourselves off. There is something wonderful about eating right out of the garden.

Be still my beating heart!

It is 55 degrees. I have shed my long pants, and donned shorts and birkies. I am making repeated trips outside to see just how far away from the house the snow has crept, and peering for signs that my daffodils are coming up. The doors are open, and I can hear the drip, drip, drip of melting. It won't be long.

We have having dinner guests tomorrow night, and instead of a wintery meal, I went to the butcher and got a beautiful pork shoulder which we will smoke tomorrow, and I will make potato salad and ice cream.

While I'm sure we will have a bit more winter (snow and cold), in one week, we will celebrate the equinox, and we are counting down until we make our first trip to the cabin (we will be there in 8 weeks).

And, to think that less than a week ago, it was sub-zero when we got up in the morning.

Life is good.

Edited by snowangel (log)

just as i saw the tips of my daffodils - another 3 inches. and forget my crocuses - they are under a 2 1/2 foot mound of snow :angry:

i did just buy some morning glory, moonflower and dill seeds to start when we get back from texas in early april - maybe by june we will be able to put them outside :hmmm:

both john and i have been looking at catalogs in our spare time trying to decide what new thing to try down near the lake that would be perennial and maybe give us a bit of privacy when we are in the hammock.

my mom and her grandmother before her used to grow grapes - concords not wine grapes but while my greatgran's flourished mom's didn't. i don't know why.

snowangel - i am soooo jealous. to be able to open all the windows and air out the house- ooooohhhhhhh. can't wait.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Was plesantly surprised this week on one of my wife's daily trips to Starbucks; they give away their used coffee grounds. Since early this week I have probably picked up 200 pounds packed in bags abour 15 pound each. I use the grounds in my composoting (they attract worms) and also direct around my pernnials and shrubs. Great stuff.

ADD NOTE: we are on Puget Sound in the Northwest, today my fava beans were peaking through yje soil. Just finishing my Winter greens that I grow under a clotch; lots of endive, spinach, beet greens and mache which is a great over-looked winter salad item.

dave

ADD NOTE: we are on Puget Sound in the Northwest, today my fava beans were peaking through yje soil.  Just finishing my Winter greens that I grow under a clotch; lots of endive, spinach, beet greens and mache which is a great over-looked winter salad item.

dave

Welcome Dave,

Be a little careful with all the coffee grounds. I've seen gardeners overdo it and get poor results. Not sure exactly what happened - maybe they are too high in acid or nitrogen eating or something?

My favas are 18-24" tall, with flowers starting to appear - overwintered - no cover - here in Seattle. Mustards are starting to bolt! And don't the slugs love those budding mustard flowers? I separated out the kale and chard a couple of weeks ago, and they are starting to beef up. Still waiting to see if any of the peas will come up (or maybe the birds and slugs have been helping themselves?) Planting potatoes for St Paddy's Day.

I used to visit a website quite often at www.expertgardener.com. Somewhat similar to eGullet in a nature way. Anyway, I hope it's useful to someone for gardening questions. Good resource, I think.

Was plesantly surprised this week on one of my wife's daily trips  to Starbucks; they give away their used coffee grounds.  Since early this week I have probably picked up 200 pounds packed in bags abour 15 pound each.  I use the grounds in my composoting (they attract worms) and also direct around my pernnials and shrubs.  Great stuff.

Yes, be careful, my neighbor used too much coffee grounds and made some of her vegetable beds too acidic, and now she has to correct the problem. Before you incorporate the compost into your garden, get a pH tester, or take some samples to your local cooperative extension.

I planted lettuce, spinach and carrots this week, and now it's going to turn winter again.

Welcome Dave,

Be a little careful with all the coffee grounds. I've seen gardeners overdo it and get poor results. Not sure exactly what happened - maybe they are too high in acid or nitrogen eating or something?

Dave, I second that. I think you may find your compost getting out of balance.

Just to throw something out there..... I think it might be important to feed your compost pile (and yourself) with stuff that's more native to your area. All the worms and little "bugs" have been working on whatever has been available to them locally and lo-and-behold, they have coffee grounds and citrus peels? In a northern climate?

It's sort of like trying be a honey bee these days. There you are working on blueberries and clover getting ready for winter and the next thing you know you're in Florida working the crops there. :unsure:

Welcome Dave,

Dave, I second that. I think you may find your compost getting out of balance.

Just to throw something out there..... I think it might be important to feed your compost pile (and yourself) with stuff that's more native to your area. All the worms and little "bugs" have been working on whatever has been available to them locally and lo-and-behold, they have coffee grounds and citrus peels? In a northern climate?

It's sort of like trying be a honey bee these days. There you are working on blueberries and clover getting ready for winter and the next thing you know you're in Florida working the crops there. :unsure:

Nick: Great to see you back. Missed you.

I think you're right about Rotting Locally. Makes sense.

And all this discussion is making me feel bad about what a totally unscientific composter I am! Er, never even tested my soil. :wub:

Well, as all gardeners know, each spring is a second chance.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yes, we live in an acid zone. My beds are under huge firs and redwoods; the azalas, rhodys and blueberries love it. For most most of the vegy beds I sweeten with lime. add alfafa pellets (rabbit food) and epsion salts. This I know about the coffee grounds and compositing: When I just add kitchen vegtable scraps and egg shells, I get none of the little red wigglers; add the coffee grounds and the worms show up and the compost heats up.

Couple of questions: We do well with artichokes and other members of the thistle family, I screw around every year and try growing something new (that's half the fun of gardening, isn't it) and last year I put in some cardoons. They grow well, but what in the hell do I do with them? I have tried peeling the string parts off the stems, steaming them in chicken stock and then sauting them. All I get is a bitter, soggy mess. Cooking or growing suggestions to make them edible? I haven't tried wrapping to blanch the leaves but I have read this helps.

One of the more interesting winter vegtables we have had is celery root. My plants are probably close to 300 days old. We have been eating them (last night in a salad with fresh tarragon, Gorgozola and a mustardy dressing) but it still takes three of mine to make one of Safeways. Any suggestions to get the roots bigger? I thought maybe trimming some of the green growth ?

Thanks all for the tip on watching the acid build-up.

Dave

Peas, lettuce, spinach, potatoes (4 kinds!) and kohlrabi are in the ground!

I had to come to work to rest today.

Saturday--hauled 5 or 6 cartloads of chicken litter out of the hen house, and spread it on the gardens. Pruned the yew bushes in front of the house--hauled 2 pickup loads of branches to the brush pile in the back.

Sunday--rototilled and planted, vacuumed, bathed the dogs (outside, with the hose), barbequed a rack of ribs to celebrate St. Urho's Day. For those of you who are not from the tundra of Minnesota, St. Urho is the Finnish saint who drove the grasshoppers out of Finland.

High point of the weekend--when the rototiller caught on fire. Note to self--twist the air filter so it is not sitting directly over the muffler.

Daffodils, crocuses, little irises blooming. The lawn will need to be mowed next weekend, probably. Three incubators full of eggs ready to go out to classrooms in my counties--4-H embryology projects.

sparrowgrass