• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

Very cool, Mallet. What is the li'l sprout? A pea, perhaps?

Correct! Although you should see it now, I'm amazed at how fast these things can grow. I'm finding it very difficult to not scrutinize every pot for new signs of growth at 10 minute intervals :biggrin: . The beans have some out, as well as the beginings of some mesclun mix I planted about 5 days ago. I'll try to borrow a camera and put up some more pictures. When should I start feeding the plants? I'm guessing I should wait until they've established a decent root system right?

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Very cool, Mallet. What is the li'l sprout? A pea, perhaps?

Correct! Although you should see it now, I'm amazed at how fast these things can grow. I'm finding it very difficult to not scrutinize every pot for new signs of growth at 10 minute intervals :biggrin: . The beans have some out, as well as the beginings of some mesclun mix I planted about 5 days ago. I'll try to borrow a camera and put up some more pictures. When should I start feeding the plants? I'm guessing I should wait until they've established a decent root system right?

I've never grown edible peas so I can't give you definitive answer. But, as far as I'm aware of, peas do not need extra nitrogen as they collect it from the air. Go figure. :blink: Actually, they are very light feeders all around, so if you want to apply a 10-10 fertilizer I would so very sparingly and only when they're better developed. They are also prone to root rot and fungus problems, so try not to splash water on the leaves while you're keeping them nice and moist (but not water-logged) and be sure to raise the pots off the deck (better drainage and air circulation for the roots). Any pea-pros out there to help him out?

Yesterday my husband gifted our garden with three raspberry plants. Of course, we have no place to put them in the ground that will meet their needs soooo we're planning on building three large planters to place on a gravel path, facing south, against a white background. I know that the light and water will be adequate but I have questions concerning the planters. How big? What type of wood is best? Pine? Cedar? Treated or untreated wood? I assume a trellis system is in order, too. -sigh- So much garden and not.enough.space!

Here they are in all their first year glory. We have two Indian Summers and one Willamette.

gallery_17172_2889_261784.jpg

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I'd allow 3ft x3ft. Raspberries are shallow rooted, and spread. They are also quite greedy plants, and need to be kept moist but not too wet.

The two varieties you have are rather different. From what I can gather on the web Williamette is an early variety, so will fruit on last years canes, and should be pruned after fruiting, while Indian Summer is a late/fall variety and should be cut down to the ground in early spring.

For this year I would just plant them as they are,

I'd allow 3ft x3ft. Raspberries are shallow rooted, and spread. They are also quite greedy plants, and need to be kept moist but not too wet.

The two varieties you have are rather different. From what I can gather on the web Williamette is  an early variety, so will fruit on last years canes, and should be pruned after fruiting, while Indian Summer is a late/fall variety and should be cut down to the ground in early spring.

For this year I would just plant them as they are,

Thank you, Jack.

So, this year I shall build three planters. Keep them moist and allow the root-system to take hold. Slow-release fertilizer in the soil? Any additional fertilizer thereafter? Thoughts on polymer crystals? Trellis for the first year? :rolleyes: Sorry. I'm really quite clueless how to actually *care* for cane-berries. The back of my property has blackberry brambles that require no care aside from an occasional watering in late summer.

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I'm curious about raspberry care as well - hoping to add in some raspberries in as well.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

We have a raspberry patch at my parents place. As I recall, the plants are spaced about 2 ft apart, with no external support (but my grandfather has wires running parallel to the rows). Other than the odd bit of compost and some crushed shells, we didn't put in anything and got two crops a year. Maintenance is pretty easy, it's just a matter of removing the dead wood.

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

Slow release fertiliser and water retention crystals will help, I'm sure.

They will need support, but cane and wire will do. Raspberries are not climbers as such, but get to 4 to 6 ft.

You might need to protect the berries from birds, however. I grow mine in a fruit cage.

Pardon me for pulling out and standing on the eGullet soapbox but in the past week there have been three local cases of pets eating and being poisoned by snail bait. One dog died from it.

I found this on the web - From the Sonoma Animal Care Center website.

April showers bring spring flowers and . . . SNAILS. But, don't even think about using SNAIL BAIT. Snail bait is like candy to pets, except DEADLY! Alternatives do exist such as a milk carton trap or a new pet friendly product on the market called "Sluggo". Signs of snail bait poisoning may include frothing at the mouth, convulsions and vomiting. Call immediately if you suspect a problem.

Also, while you may use pet-friendly garden products, be aware that your neighbors may not. Conversely, if you don't own a pet but your neighbors do, you may want to use pet-friendly snail bait.

If this is a concern for you, read the snail bait containers to see if they are pet-friendly. Or consult your local garden nursery for safe alternatives.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me? I have planted rhubarb in three different gardens now. Each time, I have selected breeds that are supposed to have deep red stalks. Each time, the rhubarb grows terrifically, but the stalks are mostly green, occasionally pale pink at the base. Too much of something? Not enough of something? I've looked at a lot of books and haven't found any reference to this problem.

We planted tomatoes, squash, peppers on Mother's Day as we normally do (our climate is high desert). Since it was unseasonably warm, we skipped the Walls o Water. Saturday afternoon we put up Walls o Water as it snowed - it wasn't accumulating, but it was cold and blustery. I still haven't planted beans, and my basil is about an inch tall under a grow light inside.

For raspberries, I would suggest dedicating one section, then sealing it off, raspberries will SPREAD like wildfire, and take over everything if not carefull.

This year, I have 18 tomatoe plants, about 6 different heirloom varieties, 3 types of hot peppers, onions, heirloom beets, swiss chard, cuces, all sorts of herbs, oh, and fava beans and artichokes!

I recentely started a thread on vegetable gardening in the Japan Forum, and a member recommended square foot gardening. The more I learn about it, the more attractive it seems, and I'd like to try that method next spring in my small yard, where the soil is too hard to dig :sad: .

Has anyone here ever tried square foot gardening? Tell me about your opinions about it.

I did square foot gardening for a few years - since it's been years since I read the book, I don't know if it's recommended that the beds be built up, but mine were made out of 2x10s, partially sunk into the ground, filled with the original dirt heavily amended with good manure compost. I liked being able to reach everything within the square easily. If I needed to have different watering for different beds, it was easy, and I seem to remember being able to water by using a ring of leaky pipe.

Thanks, memesuze.

Today, I ordered the book titled, "All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space!" I hope I can post a picture or two when and if I succeed in growing some vegetables with this method.

I leave town for one week and three lousy days and my lettuce bolts. -sigh- Perhaps the bitter bolts can be made palatable with a quick stir fry and tossed with sliced garlic almonds?

gallery_17172_2889_389519.jpg

Twin Peaks

Prentend it's radicchio :hmmm: . I can't see what you mean by bolting, isn't that when plants set seed/flower earlier than expected?

My garden is doing ok so far, I'm really happy with my peas and beans:

gallery_27988_2887_12950.jpg

gallery_27988_2887_546714.jpg

I bought a tomato plant, but I'm not sure if I should be pruning it yet or where, any thoughts?

gallery_27988_2887_497270.jpg

gallery_27988_2887_8183.jpg

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

That's exactly what bolting is Martin. We had a few pretty warm and sunny days while I was gone and up the lettuce went. I had a few leaves in a salad last night and it wasn't *too* bitter- then again, I really like bitter flavors.

Your plants are looking good, especially the peas. I don't trim my tomatoes but many people do. What kind of tomato is it?

Twin Peaks

That's exactly what bolting is Martin. We had a few pretty warm and sunny days while I was gone and up the lettuce went. I had a few leaves in a salad last night and it wasn't *too* bitter- then again, I really like bitter flavors.

Your plants are looking good, especially the peas. I don't trim my tomatoes but many people do. What kind of tomato is it?

It's a cherry tomato (indeterminate). I forget the variety but I believe the fruit is white.

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

I leave town for one week and three lousy days and my lettuce bolts. -sigh- Perhaps the bitter bolts can be made palatable with a quick stir fry and tossed with sliced garlic almonds?

gallery_17172_2889_389519.jpg

Would those leaves stand up to even a quick stir fry? If not, try this: Make a hot sweet vinaigrette, with or without bacon. Toss it with that lettuce, along with mushrooms and hard-boiled egg, a la wilted spinach salad.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Really good idea. The leaves are pretty tender and I think that I'd have a sodden mess on my hands if I tried cooking them. But a quick wilt with bacon fat and vinegar? Can do! Thanks Smithy.

Twin Peaks

For tomatoe plants - what you need to do is pick off the little shoots that grow in the \/ off branches which come off the stalk, if you know what i mean .... that helps TREMENDOUSLY when they get really large, and look more proper...

I can elaborate if needed...Ill try to get some pics of my garden up this weekend! I must say though, the Fava Beans, heirloom tomatoes and beets are looking great!

For tomatoe plants - what you need to do is pick off the little shoots that grow in the \/ off branches which come off the stalk, if you know what i mean .... that helps TREMENDOUSLY when they get really large, and look more proper...

I can elaborate if needed...Ill try to get some pics of my garden up this weekend!  I must say though, the Fava Beans, heirloom tomatoes and beets are looking great!

I know what you mean. They are called wakime in Japanese. No specific name in English?

Edited to add this photo:

gallery_16375_5_57513.jpg

Those little shoots picked off and planted by my son. They are also good to eat.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Those little shoots picked off and planted by my son. They are also good to eat.

they are? i thought tomato stems and leaves were poisonous...

they are? i thought tomato stems and leaves were poisonous...

Really? Are there any botanists here?

According to Google Answers and elsewhere, tomato leaves and stems are poisonous. But it appears severe gastrointestinal distress is the extent of it. Similar to potatoes. Tomatoes, interestingly enough, are members of the nightshade family, and were apparently thought to be poisonous for a long time until peasants in Italy were so short on food they tried their fruits, after which numerous tomato dishes ensued (according to Wikipedia).

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)