• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for "boneless venison ribs" ?

Duvel

While I was wandering slightly jet lag-impaired through our local supermarket I found this in the freezer section. I am a huge fan of the underused cuts of any animal, so this looked interesting.

First thing that came to mind was simply to cube and braise with red wine and juniper berries. Will be pleasing, yet boring. Maybe curing with juniper berries, allspice and pink salt and then SV to make some sort of "corned venison" ...

Do you have any ideas what to do to make it different to - say - beef ribs ? Of course tried & true recipes are also welcome ;)

WP_20180603_15_18_56_Pro.jpg

Never thought about curing, but one of my favorites is to smoke and then steam, a la pastrami, in the Instant Pot. Would be good to cure/corn first, though.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, kayb said:

Never thought about curing, but one of my favorites is to smoke and then steam, a la pastrami, in the Instant Pot. Would be good to cure/corn first, though.

Thanks ... any guidance on times ?

I think I'd do a cure x 2 days then SV. Probably 140f X at least a day, maybe 2 and then sandwiches with augmented jus.

Or treat like a beef short rib and braise x 3hrs with onions/carrot/tomato paste and red wine. Perhaps serve with spaetzle.

I think I like plan B.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Thanks ... any guidance on times ?

For pastrami, I cure for a week, then steam in the IP for 30 minutes for a fairly small piece of brisket. You wouldn't need that long on ribs, I wouldn't think. Depend on how old the deer was, and whether it was wild or farmed.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com