• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Kindest Cutting Board

palo

Either your '?' key is broken or you are a SuperMario Flame Throwing Hooded Munchkin of very few words!! ;)

Perhaps the query should read - 'What is the best cutting board with my knives edge best interests in mind'?

• Like 1

Reminds me of the story of the guy in a job interview when asked to list his best quality in fewer than  than 10 words...

He replied, "Concise".

• Like 3

@TicT/paulraphael/lindag, your point being...

@Lisa - end grain struck me as a reasonable solution, but also connsidering poly whatever boards as they seem to show cutting marks much more noticably,  INDICATING he boards are the loser

p

• 3 years later...

Hi guys / ladies, has anybody tried the Sani-Tuff (NoTrax) brand cutting boards? I'm currently using a Japanese, synthetic cutting board. I bought it a long time ago, but it's now starting to slide on the counter. I have been using a towel underneath, but prefer not to have to use a towel.

Any other advice / info regarding soft or gentle cutting boards is very welcome.

Thank you in advance!

An alternative solution to the towel

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/san-jamar-cbm1016-saf-t-grip-board-mate-16-x-10-white-cutting-board-mat/511CBM1016.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--GFBhDeARIsACH_kda3yZa3jDSHgZzwc2MkhzgD0ucSRbqoo8flZoKlepL8MA8OuVKYKWoaAlt7EALw_wcB

Sani Tuff is pretty good but they tend to warp easily with heat if you like to wash in a washing machine be warned. You can always get it back into shape but is annoying

• Thanks 1

I bought one of Korin's (damn you, KORIN!!) Tenryo Hi-Soft cutting boards, and now it's the one I use most often (my love of the Boardsmith board notwithstanding). It just cleans up so easily, appears to be very gentle on my knives, etc. etc.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks, guys. I ended up ordering this Hasegawa soft cutting board. It's synthetic with a wood core (three visible layers). The wood is supposed to keep the board flat and, also, reduce the weight of the board. Don't laugh, but I also ordered the special sponge / scraper to clean the board.

• Like 4

I use Hi-Soft boards from Korin, but Hasegawas are excellent as well. And they can go in the dishwasher, unlike the HI-Softs. But I don't have a dishwasher, so...

Our main Hi-Soft board is item number TK-201-H40, which is a pretty good general size, but we also use a smaller model TK-205 that will sit next to the large one and function as a seamless "extender" board. They are *extremely* kind to edges of very hard and brittle steels. They're heavy enough and "sticky" enough that they won't slide around on a hard countertop. This means that if you plunk the small one down next to the larger one, they'll basically function as a single seamless unit. Here's a photo of them with two of my largest knives -- a very large 300mm Takeda gyuto and a 270mm Sukenari:

hi-softs.thumb.jpg.fc7bc43a0e7edd3a8d21e9a463c929c4.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I use Hi-Soft boards from Korin, but Hasegawas are excellent as well. And they can go in the dishwasher, unlike the HI-Softs. But I don't have a dishwasher, so...

Shit - I didn't realize they aren't supposed to go in the dishwasher. On the Korin site - these are the care instructions...

Care

•  Dishwasher Safe
    Highest Temp: 70°C or 158°F
  • Lowest Temp: -30°C or -22°F
  • Exposure to extreme heat, boiling water and sterilizers will cause warping or softening. This product cannot put in water over 158F (70c).
  • Use bleach (approx. 20 minutes) to remove stubborn stains. Make sure to wash thoroughly afterward.
  • Flip over the cutting board to allow for even wear.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 6/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, btbyrd said:

It would be clearer if they used words instead of symbols. "X Dishwasher Safe" is far less clear than "Not Dishwasher Safe."

The good news is that if your boards aren't warped yet, they'll be fine.

The Hasegawa is the best cutting board I've ever used, but it is definitely not dishwasher safe. My kids put my last Asahi hi-soft board in the dishwasher and it warped like crazy.  It's worth the hassle, and I've got no doubt that you'll enjoy it.  The Hasagawa is especially nice by the way, because its substantial, but the balsa core makes it very light.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, btbyrd said:

All their wood core boards are dishwasher safe, as per their website.

That's true, but these boards are only rated for max of 195F. Dishwashers don't usually get quite that hot, and probably top out at 180F or so unless its in some sort of sterilization mode, but can't imagine that repeated dishwashing can be good for the board.  My old Asahi is now parabolic, and the material is basically the same (though without the ridgid balsa core). If your board stands up, maybe I'll try it.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, btbyrd said:

It would be clearer if they used words instead of symbols. "X Dishwasher Safe" is far less clear than "Not Dishwasher Safe."

The good news is that if your boards aren't warped yet, they'll be fine.

Oh yeah - I think this happened...

IMG_4501.thumb.jpeg.b72fd880eb091d0cd2c4ab2528ce2868.jpeg

IMG_4502.thumb.jpeg.4b6f922957823d770a2741d958fa46b2.jpeg

Looks like I'll be getting one of wood core boards at some point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo 

I have both types of boards.

eG encouraged me

I appreciate that.

The Dishwasher Here

stores Pyrex and lids.

because I can

sorry about your board issues.

I am enjoying both types.

although I could get by w one version

depending  ........................

I’ve had a couple of korin hi-soft boards for about a year. Really liked using it for that time. The larger one I have has warped slightly but nothing major. 

I’m more bothered about the surface really, it’s marked up quite badly - scratches and dings which seem to trap food debris. I’ve read that you can sand or smooth out the surface, has anyone done this with theirs? Any tips on how best to do it?