• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuts for nuts - suggestions on what to do

Rajala

22 hours ago, Rajala said:

Haha, I just found a bottle of Karo light corn syrup in my pantry, stowed away in a corner. Best before April 2018. I guess that's safe to use.

Problem solved for now.

I just remembered that I have made the pie with molasses (black treacle) and it was very good.

Hazelnut torte - the kind with minimal or no wheat flour.

Hesitate to put it in the baking forum, but, for a cocktail snack. I sliver almonds (I do it by hand so more time is spent in prep and less in eating. Then toast them in  a non-stick pan with some olive oil then add raw sugar or raw sugar/honey mix. Eat when they cool down. You have to anticipate because the nuts will continue to roast after you remove them from the heat.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Have you though of making nougat?  No need to peel the nuts :) If I remember correctly, there's a good recipe in Greweling's book.

You could also use them for frangipane, dacquoise, macarons, etc.  I wouldn't bother skinning them; the skins add colour and a slightly deeper flavour.

I've never done nougat. Are we talking about the french one? That white chewy stuff with nuts and/or other things? I don't have any good frames for that kind of things, but more reason to buy I guess?

What about pouring a nut paste into a nougat while mixing it in your blender? That should work, right? I've seen people using chocolate, to give it a chocolate flavor - obviously. :D 

On 6/3/2018 at 1:30 PM, Rajala said:

I've never done nougat. Are we talking about the french one? That white chewy stuff with nuts and/or other things? I don't have any good frames for that kind of things, but more reason to buy I guess?

What about pouring a nut paste into a nougat while mixing it in your blender? That should work, right? I've seen people using chocolate, to give it a chocolate flavor - obviously. :D 

Greweling has a PB soft nougat. I bet you could use any kind of nut butter. I’ve only made it with commercial PB so far. Because that’s what he recommended. 

9 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

Greweling has a PB soft nougat. I bet you could use any kind of nut butter. I’ve only made it with commercial PB so far. Because that’s what he recommended. 

Ah, there's so much in that book. I always forget. Hazelnut soft nougat is probably like drugs for  you.

• Like 1