• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Safety Testing in Chocolate Production Facilities

artiesel

I work at a small business with about 25 employees where we make chocolates, popcorn and caramels.  In capacity as head chocolatier I have to work with our facilities supervisor to develop a food safety testing plan for the facility.

Right now we are developing a plan to do the following: swab with ATP detectors to see if bacterial activity is present, test for Aerobic Plate Count bacteria (APC),  and swabbing for the presence of nut proteins to verify our cleaning protocols are sufficient to eliminate nut allergens and test the floor drains for the presence of listeria.

Does anyone have any experience with food safety testing in chocolate plants??  If so, is there anything else that you think we need to be testing for?

I have no experience with this, but I would think that this is serious stuff and you should get a paid consultant for it.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com