• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Under counter ice makers

joiei

I'm asking for a friend, they are building a new house and she is starting to shop around for an under counter ice maker.  Reliability is a big issue for her.  She doesn't want to have to be replacing it in 5 years.  Suggestions and reviews both good and bad will be welcome and I will get the info to her.  Thanks.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'd have to need an awful lot of ice before I'd consider giving up the real estate it would take.

My refrigerator in-door ice maker makes more ice than  I could possibly ever use.

I do think the stand alone ice makers are pretty cool though.

I've always wanted a Sub Zero that has the ice drawer (and can make fancy ice cubes).

Edited by lindag (log)

My issue with refrigerator ice makers is how often they break down. Our GE Profile ice maker has been put to rest, so I like the idea of a free-standing ice maker a lot.

Until it acts like a refrigerator ice maker and craps out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

My issue with refrigerator ice makers is how often they break down. Our GE Profile ice maker has been put to rest, so I like the idea of a free-standing ice maker a lot.

Until it acts like a refrigerator ice maker and craps out.

I'd be happy if only my ice cube trays didn't break.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I haven't worked in a restaurant kitchen or bar in many years; however, I've spent a great deal of time in teaching kitchens (adjuncts to kitchen retailers), all of which have had built-in under-counter ice makers. They've all been broken at one time or another, a few times for weeks while waiting for parts. Admittedly, these machines probably get worked harder than they would be in a typical household, but you'd still expect them to have a better track record than that. I would, anyway.

You might want to check out an earlier topic here. I don't think much has changed since then.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks everybody for your input.  I passed it on.  She seems bound and determined to find a good product.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!