• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Junipero Gin

Suzanne F

Learned about this gin today from a guy from the Anchor Steam brewery. They also have a winery, and a distillery that makes this gin and a 148º whiskey -- very limited production. While at a wine shop, I happened to see it, and of course had to get it. Very interesting: initial POW! of mainly juniper with other botanicals. Then a smooth, almost syrupy (but not sweet) finish. Anyone else familiar with it? Whatcha think?

basically Fritz Maytag rocks. He's the guy responsible for Anchor Steam beer and the other elixirs coming out of Anchor Steam Company. Juniper has been available for a couple of years now and you'll see it at a number of bars that appreciate good spirits. Also available is Old Portero, the Rye Whiskey you mentioned. Its excellent. Here's a link to an interview with Fritz. Maybe Fatguy or Jason can get Fritz to do a Q&A. I think he may be an e-gulleter at heart and doesn;t know it yet...

Fritz Maytag interview

Trillium, interesting that you say that. The guy in the wine store (Chelsea Wine Vault, in Chelsea Market, NYC) said it makes THE BEST martini. But then, to each his/her own. I haven't tried it mixed, just straight.

• 6 years later...

How to mix Junipero?

I almost started a new topic but, after some diligent searching, figured I could revive this one.

My impetus is an upcoming long sojourn in the San Francisco airport. I scoped a little on my way west and found that Anchor has a bar with Junipero martinis on the menu. So, not being much of a martini drinker but wanting to try Junipero, how do I get a good one? Is this gin best mixed dry or wet or what?

I found references to Junipero in a number of other threads with Aviations and Last Words mentioned as good Junipero drinks but I'm not sure I could get them at an airport bar. Does anyone have other favorite Junipero cocktails/drinks?

Thanks for any help making my 6 1/2 hour layover more pleasant.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

While I've never had Junipero, I like Pink Gin when I want to really taste a new gin. And, pretty much any bartender can make it.

gin

a few dashes of ango

stir

serve up

How to mix Junipero?

I almost started a new topic but, after some diligent searching, figured I could revive this one.

My impetus is an upcoming long sojourn in the San Francisco airport.  I scoped a little on my way west and found that Anchor has a bar with Junipero martinis on the menu.  So, not being much of a martini drinker but wanting to try Junipero, how do I get a good one?  Is this gin best mixed dry or wet or what?

I found references to Junipero in a number of other threads with Aviations and Last Words mentioned as good Junipero drinks but I'm not sure I could get them at an airport bar.  Does anyone have other favorite Junipero cocktails/drinks?

Thanks for any help making my 6 1/2 hour layover more pleasant.

Dave Kaye

given its high proof and strong botanicals, it can balance out the vermouth in wetter martinis. i've enjoyed it either 2:1 or 1:1. if your layover is long enough, try both and then go to reverse proportions. then take a nap on the flight.

Junipero makes terriffic wet martinis, as mentioned above. I also find that it responds extremely well to the "Improved Cocktail" treatment as per Imbibe! (and before that, Jerry Thomas).

I'll admit that apart from some occasional tinkering here and there I've never really found any other applications that I go back to. Part of the reason is that I like it so much in those places, and that, along with the relatively high price tag, keeps me from branching out into areas where more moderately priced gins will work.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman