• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice on transporting chocolates...

ptw1953

Hello to all chocolatiers, from this wannabee.

I am flying to Sweden on Thursday the 31st, to visit my son, my daughter-in-law and my grand-daughter. I had intended to take some chocolates for my daughter-in-law, decorated with the Swedish flag. I did these for a Swedish friend, who is, sadly, terminally ill, and they were well received by her. I decorated those ones by hand. I have my Paasche Series 4 airgun ready but, as yet, no compressor (compressor arriving on Wednesday). It will be a bit of a struggle to make the chocolates that close to departing on a 3.5 hour flight to Sweden, so my question is:

1. If I make the chocolates, should I transport them in my cabin luggage, and not the hold?

2. Will this form of transportation cause any grief to the chocolates?

All advice gratefully received.

Regards to all,

Philip

+1 for cabin carry-on in a soft cooler bag...as a side note dont use the blue plastic ice packs with the liquid inside...airport security generally does not like those at all...

Try to get some smaller disposable gel-type packets ( frozen solid they keep the bag cool for about 8-10 hours at least).

I just took a bunch of chocolate from asia on a 2 day trip halfway around the globe to europe and they made it just fine...

@Avachocolate thank you for the prescient reminder that airport security are generally dumplings. Point noted, and will buy the small disposable gel packs. Much obliged.

@Rajalawe are looking forward to seeing our family again, and enjoying our time Solna and Spanga. Long live the Swedish summer...:D

Philip

Hand painting is not the best way to go when you have macular degeneration in both eyes...:sad:

Cannot wait until my compressor arrives, and then get practising with the Paasche H series airbrush.

Zeliha's chocolates.jpg

43 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

Hand painting is not the best way to go when you have macular degeneration in both eyes...:sad:

Cannot wait until my compressor arrives, and then get practising with the Paasche H series airbrush.

Zeliha's chocolates.jpg

Those don't look too bad from here 

49 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

Those look very nice. Did you use tape for the lines or paint them in freehand? Either way they are remarkably straight.

@Kerry Beal @Jim D.Thank you both for your kind words. You have given me a confidence boost. I hope I don't have to tell my daughter-in-law that I have attempted to paint her national flag :biggrin:.

I used 3m Scotch artists tape, for the lines, and rolled, some half a dozen times, with the shaped end of a wooden child's paintbrush, to (almost) ensure there would be no bleeding underneath the tape. I had to order the tape from the USA, as it seems no-one in the UK stocks it.

I ordered more, but they sent me some lime green fabric dye instead. Very strange...

Love the look, almost a bit like watercolor.

The sun is right in my face, so I might see things that aren't there though. :D  

What will you fill them with?

@Rajala The sun is out here as well in Edinburgh; first time in yonks, and I am inside trying to make chocolates :sad:. 'twas ever thus for me.

I will fill them with the salted caramel I have made, and hope I transport them successfully to Spanga...

Philip