• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

@Darienne  Yes much like Kim Severson's writing bout the special cake of her childhood. After honing her palate and writing about food for impressive publications like the New York Times:  "My mother used to make a chocolate cake for my birthday that had pieces of broken Hershey bars suspended in whipped cream for frosting. I love that cake, and I have tried to recreate it with fancy-pants chocolate. It's never as good."

heidih

heidih

@Darienne  Yes much like Kim Severson's writing bout the special cake of her childhood. After honing her palate and writing about food for impresive publications like the New York Times:  "My mother used to make a chocolate cake for my birthday that had pieces of broken Hershey bars suspended in whipped cream for frosting. I love that cake, and I have tried to recreate it with fancy-pants chocolate. It's never as good."