• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

Oh goodness, my repressed cake memories are pushing forth!  Two birthday cakes of note:

- My son's first birthday - I made a chocolate sheet cake with fluffy white icing for the adults and a smaller cake just for the birthday boy with lots of colorful sprinkles and other decorations. We set it in front of him and just let him have at it. Hilarious,  messy, joyful moment.

- Another son birthday - maybe around age 5.  For the neighborhood kid party I made a yellow cake with white frosting and lots of colorful bits. The attendees were all girls slightly older than him because our neighborhood was "Y sparse".  It was a backyard affair. I left to get something from kitchen and.....came back to "cake chaos". The oldest ones (a trio of twins and older sibling) went bonkers. They had long blond hair. Getting the canned greasy frosting out of their hair before they went home to their single parent dad was challenging. Fun day though ;)

Duncan Hines and canned frosting can be delightful with a side of ice cream  ;)

heidih

heidih

Oh goodness, my repressed cake memories are pushing forth!  Two birthday cakes of note:

- My son's first birthday - I made a chocolate sheet cake with fluffy white icing for the adults andd a smaller cke just for the birthday boy with lots of colorful sprinkles and other decorations. We set it in front of him and just let him have at it. Hilarious,  messy, joyful moment.

- Another son birthday - maybe around age 5.  For the neighborhood kid party I made a yellow cake with white frosting and lots of colorful bits. The attendees were all girls slightly older than him because our neighborhood was "Y sparse".  It was a backyard affair. I left to get something from kitchen and.....came back to "cake chaos". The oldest ones (a trio of twins and older sibling) went bonkers. They had long blond hair. Getting the canned gresy froiting out of their hair before they went home was chllenging. Fun though ;)

Duncan Hines and canned frosting can be delightful with a side of ice cream  ;)