• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crawfish boils

joiei

I was just talking with my niece who lives in Round Rock about crawfish boils.  She commented that in the Austin area something she is seeing added to boils is pineapple.  WHAT!  She thinks this is because of the number of boils that are being done by Vietnamese members of the community.  Is that something you are seeing in your part of the world?  I don't want to say that I consider that a crime against the Crawfish Gods, but I don't know.  What is showing up in boils in your area that is beyond crawfish, potatos, corn, and garlic?  The last boil I went to here they had added shrimp and that is okay in my book.  $15 for all you can eat and I can eat some boil.  But pineapple?  What say you?  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Being a lover of Viet food I have faith that the Vietnamese can turn something very good into something different but equally good. If enough people like it maybe it will stick and keep evolving.  Lots of good sandwiches can be made with a baguette, but the Banh Mi is way up there at the top of the list. One of the most interesting sandwiches I had in NOLA was a Po' boy-Banh Mi crossover. The possibilities are endless, starting with fried oyster banh mi or maybe lemongrass shrimp po' boy. I can't remember exactly what was in the one I had, but sitting outside with a drippy sandwich and an alcoholic coffee drink was a stellar way to watch street musicians in the French Quarter. There are some great Asian soups that combine tomatoes, pineapple and prawns, so who knows, a Vietnamese crawfish boil could be really good. Hawaiian pizza isn't going away, that's for sure.

If there was a crawfish boil that I could attend within many miles of here, I would gladly attend, pineapple or not. I intend to have my own CB in July, expect to pay dearly for the experience, but it will not include pineapple.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

I'm not too keen on the idea of pineapple in my crawfish boil. But I'm not big on having it on pizza either. Having said that, a crawfish boil with friends and good beer is one of my all-time favorite things and crawfish in any form are not available where I live so, as HungryChris said, if I found out someone was having a crawfish boil locally, pineapple wouldn't keep me away. The closest I've come to seeing what I considered unusual was a friend who used to toss some hot dogs in with everything else for anyone who didn't want crawfish. That's probably not all that unusual but I've never been to a boil that strayed far from the usual suspects.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I was at a crawfish boil in Waveland, Mississippi (granted, everyone there was from New Orleans) and they put a pineapple in the boil - everyone loved it... pineapple or not, the boil itself tasted very standard - but sliced up, boy was that pineapple tasty!

• Like 3