• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kayb's Cole Slaw: "Jail Slaw"

kayb

Here's my recipe for the infamous "jail slaw," which I learned to make while a rookie reporter covering courts and cops in Crittenden County, Arknsas, and often being invited to eat lunch at the jail. It's a great, crisp accompaniment to burgers or pulled pork barbecue or fried fish, It goes well in place of lettuce on a bacon and tomato sandwich, and keeps in hte fridge approximately forever.

1 large head cabbage, shredded

4-6 carrots, shredded

one large onion, shredded

one large bell pepper, shredded 

(the latter two are optional)

Dressing: 

1 cup vinegar

1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp white pepper

1/4 tsp turmeric

1 tsp celery seed

Heat dressing ingredients until almost boiling. Pour over vegetables. Let sit on counter for three or four hours to marinate, stirring and tossing occasionally. Refrigerate at least overnight before serving.

4-

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, kayb said:

Here's my recipe for the infamous "jail slaw," which I learned to make while a rookie reporter covering courts and cops in Crittenden County, Arknsas, and often being invited to eat lunch at the jail. It's a great, crisp

Thank you so very much. It sounds very much like the coleslaw that I have known as either Everlasting or Forever coleslaw but I seem to remember they all contain oil of some kind. I assume that yours has a reasonable shelf life when refrigerated? I’m thinking a week?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you so very much. It sounds very much like the coleslaw that I have known as either Everlasting or Forever coleslaw but I seem to remember they all contain oil of some kind. I assume that yours has a reasonable shelf life when refrigerated? I’m thinking a week?

Much longer than a week. Think pickles.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

• 1 year later...

This may be a little OT but how does one grate a bell pepper? Can shredding be done with a knife or does it mean using a one (to many) sided sheet of metal with sharp holes in it?

Not entirely sure.  Never done it myself, as I live in PA dutch country and pepper hash is readily available. I'd not be surprised it it was just sent through a meat grinder type apparatus...  It has the same sort of consistency that cranberry relishes do, and I know they're made with the grinder method.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 years later...

Nope. Doesn't need any. 

Per earlier questions that I guess I never saw:

One can as easily mince (fine) one's onion and bell pepper as shred them. Or one can just throw them in the food processor with everything else. Or omit them. The original one had green bell pepper in it, which I loathe, so on the rare occasions I added it, I added red. Adds a colorful touch.

Don't ask. Eat it.

I went lower then 1/2 cup on sugar + touch of bitter orange marmalade, no bell pepper (loathe). Bit sweet for me so I added couple dashes of fish sauce for complexity. Very nice. Thanks! 

• Like 1