• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
pastrygirl

cake construction question

Cake construction question - I have a wedding cake order next month for about 175 people.  I think it's going to be 14" round, 12" round, double-height 9" round, and a separated 6" layer with her great-grandma's cake topper.

My question is about the double-height layer.  Should I layer cake and filling as usual  but just make it super tall, or will whomever has to cut the thing appreciate it if there's a goo-free zone of cake-cardboard-cake in the middle so they can separate it into 2 x 9" cakes or more easily cut it?  I mean, I could make two regular layers with 5 layers of cake and 4 layers of filling, not frost the top of one and just stack the other on top, or I could make one giant cake with 10 layers of cake, 9 filling, and no cardboard in the middle.  I almost never have to cut cakes so I don't know if it matters but I thought I'd ask.  The filling will either be salty caramel or raspberry, and the icing will be meringue buttercream, not as sturdy to handle as a crusting icing or fondant.

Or any other tips on giant wedding cakes?  Thanks!

IMO, I'd put the cardboard in, it will make consistent cutting of slices much easier and prevent leaning. I mean, it kind of depends on the venue. Some wedding halls have staff that cuts big cakes 2-3 times a day every day and they could handle anything. A smaller place with a less experienced cutter might let extra tall slices get served. I tend to lean towards idiot-proofing it as much as possible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Or any other tips on giant wedding cakes?  Thanks!

Well, the best advice I ever gave myself was to quit doing them. :D But I don't think that's what you had in mind. I agree on the separating the tall layer just because it makes cutting and serving easier and keeps portions consistent without having to manually divide the extra tall slices. Otherwise you get a certain number of guests disgruntled because they person next to them got that huge tall piece that they didn't get.

• Like 2

Thanks, both of you!  It’s a large venue so i’m sure they cut a lot of cakes, though who knows with the staffing shortage everyone seems to have. Plus, a firm middle layer might make more sense to support risers for the top tier.

I’ve only done a few tall stacked cakes, this is for my next door neighbors daughter so it’s kinda VIP - or at least people I’ll see again and want to make happy. 

Double barrel cakes are easier to serve if they have a cardboard layer between two cakes. The slices are normal size, not really long.

I usually do two three layer cakes, use support straws in the bottom, place a cardboard round on top (cut it just a little smaller than the cake so it doesn't stick out) then add the next cake.  You can put a dowel through the whole thing to keep it in place.  Then, crumbcoat and chill to set. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RWood said:

Double barrel cakes are easier to serve if they have a cardboard layer between two cakes. The slices are normal size, not really long.

I usually do two three layer cakes, use support straws in the bottom, place a cardboard round on top (cut it just a little smaller than the cake so it doesn't stick out) then add the next cake.  You can put a dowel through the whole thing to keep it in place.  Then, crumbcoat and chill to set. 

Perfect!  That’ll be the plan, then - construct for easy and uniform serving. Thanks!

• Like 1

So let's talk about that 6" top tier for a second - how are you putting that on the 9" tier?  I would build the 9" tier exactly as RWood suggests, and then I started to wonder what was going above that 9inch tier and how....

You also want to get a very sturdy cake drum (or thick  masonite covered with paper) or even an acrylic disk.  You don't want this cake to flex at all, and normally for 4+ tiered cakes, I double drum them and put ribbon around the side to hide the seam.  Other people hot glue multiple boards together then cover with paper (not my first choice), or foamcore (buy it from The Dummy Place in Chelmsford MA) and even with the foam core I might double it....

@JeanneCake, I was looking at support systems just now, thinking better safe than sorry.  If I have the bottom layer on a sturdy board, then pillars and separator plates for the 12" and 9", can I get away with the pillars separating the top 6" tier resting on the cardboard in the middle of the double-tall 9" tier?  I don't really want separation between the lower layers but maybe I should have the structure.  I do want to separate the top tier, but don't think there is a column longer than 9".  Or is the wilton 2 plate system better for the top?  I went to the craft store today and got some 12" plastic dowels, they would go all the way through the taller layer.  However, I also kind of want clear columns, so that limits choices.

you want something like this - the pillars push directly into the cake below and usually the pillars are something like 7" high or 9" high.  So go with the 7 height, you'll push 3 or 4 inches of that into the 9" cake (which is all you really  have because you  have a cardboard in the middle of that tall 9" cake) and have another 3" for the gap between the 9 and the 6 rounds.  Put the 6 on a cake drum if you can, then all you  have to do is put a loop of tape on the plastic separator plate and put the cake on and you're done.

I personally do not care for these particular clear pillars but it shows what it looks like: http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=7498&p_catid=266&page=3

The craft store might have something similar, you just put the pillars into the plastic plate and push the whole thing into the 9" round.

I use the pre-cut coast tubes from P&F for my cake supports but use the wilton plastic tubes that you can cut to fit the height of  your cake.  I'm always shooting off the stubs of wooden dowels all over the kitchen so I don't use them anymore!

Thanks for the link!  I kind of like those, I'll check out that site more.  Any other good cake supply websites I might not know about? 

I was looking at these clear pillars and plates:  https://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/assembly-display/9-clear-reg-locking-columns/53/537/1176/626811/

https://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/assembly-display/8-clear-locking-round-separator-plate/53/537/1176/1092/

All I could find in the local stores was the white Grecian columns from Wilton, just too old school.  The Roman ones are at least a cleaner look. 

The bride is white and her groom is Indian & Sikh, so they're doing a red, white, and gold color scheme but otherwise Western style reception.  So we had talked about some fresh berries on the cake, maybe raspberries covering the top of the 9" tier.  Any cake drums that show will be gold, I was also wondering if columns and plates could be spray-painted gold or if that would look even tackier than white plastic ...

Usually I buy from Pfeil and Holing, I look on the website, get an order together then call it in; they have so much stuff their inventory may not show accurately and sometimes you get disappointed that something is out of stock when you really needed it. It doesn't happen often enough to be a problem for me but I know it can happen so I plan ahead!  Pfeil and Holing will be on skeleton crew the first two weeks in July so I always buy more than what I think I will need in June so I don't have to worry.  Mostly I buy cake drums ,masonite, food color, disposable pastry bags, cupcake liners, edible ink cartridges and paper, some of the CalJava flowers, and bakery incidentals; I only go through Global Sugar Art when I need something I can't find anywhere else and I buy from CalJava when I can't get specific flowers from P&H////

Other places to buy from:  Global Sugar Art (NY), Cal-Java Online (in CA so closer for you), I don't do a lot with Country Kitchens/Sweet Art so can't give any details there. 

You can spray the pillars and plates, once the spray paint dries it is "technically" non-toxic but not sure about food safe.  If you buy an 8" drum  (they don't come in 7" rounds, or you can cut a 7" circle from foam core and cover it) can cover it with gold paper.  The gold drums you can buy are bright so that will work for your color scheme....

ask anything else that occurs to you! Happy to help :)!

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2018 at 4:24 AM, Tri2Cook said:

Well, the best advice I ever gave myself was to quit doing them. :D 

AMEN!!  I used to love decorating cakes but definitely don’t miss the anxiety that goes along with the whole stacking part of it. :S

4 hours ago, pastryani said:

AMEN!!  I used to love decorating cakes but definitely don’t miss the anxiety that goes along with the whole stacking part of it. :S

I don't miss indecisive brides-to-be, best friends of indecisive brides-to-be helping the indecisive brides-to-be become even more indecisive and mothers of indecisive brides-to-be disagreeing a week after the indecisive bride-to-be and her best friend finally became decisive thus making them indecisive once again so that the fairly sketchy amount of time you had to get it done is now an almost impossibly short amount of time to get it done but you'll be the bad guy if you send them away because they now don't have time to get someone else to do it.

Err... I mean... yeah! That stacking sucks! Don't know where the rest of that came from. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Lisa Shock
      I developed this recipe for a friend who wound up with many cans of Solo brand apricot filling and was wondering what to make with them. I adapted this recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, found on page 90 of the Cake Bible. The apricot filling works it way down through the cake and winds up near the bottom of the pan, making an attractive top later when the cake is inverted. Please use some sort of ring pan that holds at least 9 cups. You may substitute butter for the toasted almond oil, but remember that the oil adds flavor. I specifically developed this recipe with the home cook in mind, regular salted butter, and AP flour work well here. To reduce the sodium, use unsalted butter.  

Ingredients
      113 grams (1 stick) salted butter
      26 grams toasted almond oil
      200 grams sugar
      6 grams vanilla extract
      4 egg yolks
      160 grams regular sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
      50 grams almond meal
      175 grams all-purpose flour
      2 1/2 grams baking powder
      2 1/2 grams baking soda
      12 ounces (1 can) Solo Apricot Filling

12 Servings
      Preheat the oven to 350°
      Spray a 9+ cup tube or Bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease with an oil & soy lecithin blend.

Lightly toast the almond meal in a frying pan on the stove top until it has a light beige color and has a mild fragrance. Allow to cool.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and egg yolks, mix until the mixture is even and creamy. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the cooled almond flour and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix until it everything is evenly incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.

Place 2/3 of the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Place the apricot filling in an even layer on top, keeping a small space between the filling and the pan's edges. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth to create a relatively even surface.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350° or until the top is dark brown and springs back to a light touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Cool and serve. Be cautious about serving this hot, as the apricot filling can cause serious burns. When fully cooled, cover or wrap in plastic wrap to store. Will keep for several days in a cool, dry place.

Nutrition (thanks MasterCook!) 
      324 calories, 15g fat, (7g sat fat, 6g mono-unsat fat, 1g ploy-unsat fat), 5g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 175mg sodium, 101mg potassium,  58g calcium
      42% calories from fat, 52% calories from carbohydrates, 6% calories from protein
    • By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me? 
    • By fanny_the_fairy
      So I'm not sure whether you remember it or not but a few month ago I posted a new thread here because I was slightly scared with an upcoming internship.

Now I am actually an intern at Pierre Hermé and I thought you'd like to have some update.

Thanks for all the amazing feedback you guys provided!!!

Love

- fanny

First week: Ispahan, Emotions, Sensations & baked treats

Just one week after I arrived from New Zealand I'm already off to Paris for the long awaited internship at Pierre Hermé.

After waking up at 4.30, I head towards the 15° arrondissement shop, enter the apparently empty shop sur la pointe des pieds. Where is everyone? Luckily I quickly stumble onto Sebastien, the morning team head chef, who gives me the locker keys. I can finally go downstairs and get changed.

Hmmmmm the pâtissier outfit! While I was over-excited when I bought it because it represented the first step towards my dream, this outfit is anything but dreamy. Think oversized jacket, high-waist pied-de-poule pants and Pierre Hermé baseball cap; the most fashionable item being the shoes – white sabots.

Honestly, who could look good wearing that? Well ok, some girls do but I don’t. And just in case I still had some hopes, one of the guys said 'oh mais fanny vous etes beaucoup plus belle comme ca, vraiment' [fanny you look way better with these clothes on] when he saw me leaving the building wearing my normal everyday clothes. He looked shocked, trust me!

Once this first step is checked and I've understood how pointless it is to look at myself in the mirror, I can actually go upstairs and meet the chefs. Before that, I have to put an apron – well two actually: a cotton one and a plastic one; but this is only an anticipatory action as I know I tend to get quite dirty (and this is a total euphemism) when I cook.

Then I arrive in the laboratoire, wash my hands and shake everyone's hands. At this point, I am completely lost. Who is who? Hmmm names, so many different names. Luckily, I'm quite good with names so after a few minutes I am familiar with everyone just like we've known each others for years. That's totally not true though, and the use of vous is here to remind it.

Indeed saying vous instead of tu is like the first basic rule in the pastry shop survival guide.

The second one being to say chaud [litteraly: hot] whenever you're carrying something (usually really heavy) and not necessarily hot, as the term suggests, and you don't want anyone to get in the way. Basically, chefs say chaud not to be gross and say 'dégage' although the meanings of both words are really close. Once this rule is mastered, you have to start applying it. And believe me it feels quite weird to yell chaud every other minute. Though, it appears to be quite useful because you don't want to spill 118°C sugar syrup on your boss, do you? Well some of you might - sometimes, but please before doing so you should strongly consider a career change and/or an escape from your country, a face makeover and a name change.

By now it's just after 6am and I am awake (holly jetlag). Like not just awake – I am widely concentrated on everyone's moves and there are many many moves. In the morning team, everyone is here to produce all the cakes, entremets, emotions, yeasty treats... with the most dedicated passion.

The variety of tasks makes for the most interesting job. While every member of the team is responsible of a specific area, I wander from poste to poste to help the chef do the tasks they can't do because of their super-extra-busy schedules.

Thus in one week I got to do many different things: from sorting almonds to prepare candied lemon peels.

I started by weighing the ingredients for the crème onctueuse au chocolat. This was straightforward and was the perfect task to give me confidence on the first day.

However, I was quite – and happily – surprised when the manager told me to go with Simon to decorate the Ispahan entremets.

The Ispahan entremets are definitely one of the it-pastries at Pierre Hermé, so I was really excited to know that I was about to decorate them.

This part was overwhelming – first I had to arrange raspberries on the rose-flavoured buttercream, fill with chopped and fragrant litchis, and then decorate the top macaron by piping a drop of glucose on rose petals and then sticking them, along with some raspberries, on the macaron.

Assembling the Emotions was also a great job. Emotions are Pierre Hermé's signature desserts presented in glasses and eaten with a spoon - well unless you like to lick your fingers!

I had the chance to make both Emotions Mosaic (griotte jelly, pistachio jelly, pistachio mascarpone cream) and Celeste (rhubarb compote, fresh strawberries, passion fruit and mascarpone mousse, passion fruit marshmallows).

These are entertaining to make (basically I piped a fixed quantity of jelly with a piston into glasses - see Sensations below for more details) and are really yummy. I must say I have a weak spot for the passion fruit guimauves, even though it was a really-teeny (don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I am not) pain when I had to separate hundreds of them and roll them in icing sugar.

As you might imagine I was happy to get to make so many different things and I was really proud when they actually let me make a whole batch of Sensation Celeste. Sensations are glasses filled with different jellies and generally topped with a macaron.

First, I had to make the rhubarb compote: gelatine, rhubarb purée, lemon juice and sugar, pour a fixed quantity of it into small glasses with a piston, and allow to set before doing the same with both strawberry and passion fruit jellies.

On the same note, I also piped some banana and strawberry jelly into small round shapes for the entremet Désiré, which is totally delicious by the say.

However, I couldn't do just what I had to and couldn't restrain myself from peeking here and there. Anna, who I didn't really get to work with, is responsible for all the treats that have to go through the oven step. Hence, she makes all the brioches, croissants and other yeasty treats. But she also makes the cannelés and millefeuilles.

The cannelés are probably the best ones I've ever had: fresh, soft and fragrant.

As for the millefeuille I picked a Mosaic millefeuille because I love the pistachio-cherry combination. This was a real winner: the slight tanginess of the griottes nicely balances the creaminess of the pistachio cream. I can't wait to work in the dough team because their feuilletage is excellent! Hopefully in two weeks...

Next week: c'est la folie des macarons [it's all about macarons].

• By Deliciously Iced
      Good Morning everyone. Does anyone have a tried and true Marble Cake recipe to share?

Thank You so much
    • By pastrygirl
      Something I wonder about but have yet to attempt ...

i usually make Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream with egg whites. Occasionally I make egg yolk buttercream if I have excess yolks. 

Is there any reason why one couldn’t make whole egg buttercream?  Whole eggs whip up plenty fluffy for genoise, what if you added hot syrup and cool butter? 🤔