• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Universal Toastamagic won't "pop up" the toast - can someone help?

Hallabat

So i found this old toaster in my parents attic needed a new cord  and a good cleaning after i got it fixed and cleaned i tried make some toast one problem i got charcoal out of it bc it wouldnt pop up it was built in new britain connecticut and manufactured by Landers Frary and Clark model is P2855 and watt rating is 1050

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

2 hours ago, Hallabat said:

wow i feel dumb no one wonder I couldn't find the repair booklet I was typing toastamatic not toastamagic LOL

Does that mean you did find a repair booklet?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Somewhat but not much use tbh was like trying to read greek or trying to set the clock on a vcr with the manual so i pulled the chrome and found the mechanism had slipped out of place also had the timer out of wack to so now it works like a charm after i put everything back in place i was trying fix this particular toaster for sentimental reasons that and i always liked looking into the chrome on it 

Edited by Hallabat (log)
  • Like 5

Yah! @Hallabat,

I used to have good trusty toasters and trusted that the next one I bought would be the same instead of trying to fix anything. That was  huge mistake.

Nowadays, I deal with a toaster that has a lot of plastic and not good quality. The feet have cracked off, the end caps have cracked off to the point that I'm afraid to pick the damned thing up without unplugging it. The innards, including the T-stat still work. It's a shame I should have to take my life in my hands to toast bread, but that is the way it is now.

Things used to be made better by less greedy people. People who were willing to make an honest living. I get you, for sure.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Heck yeah only thing i have modern is my stove and fridge bc my old fridge shot the bills threw the roof but worked super awesome and my old stove from 33 i restored i was offered 2500 for so i couldnt refuse 

You should visit eG member @andiesenji 's web site (click here and scroll down to see and read about her toaster collection). She has large collections of a lot of old kitchen appliances & tools. In the past she's posted many pictures of her collection in various eGullet discussions.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver