• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dressing up vegetable proteins

I'm a big fan of beans. I keep several kinds in the freezer and I love making soups, stews, and so on out of them.

I think beans have a somewhat peasant nature, though. How would you dress them up for a more formal meal? What about other vegetable proteins like tofu and tempeh?

Rochelle: Beans can be a fabulous source of protein, and an exciting component to any meal, especially if you explore some of the heirloom varieties now available. They are easy to dress up, though maybe they'll never become a truly formal meal component, by garnishing them with unusual vegetable combinationsÑsauteed portobello mushrooms and julienned red and green bell peppersÑor augmenting them with kernels of farro or kamut, or shaping them into patties and sautŽing them, or finally, dreaming up some interesting combination of beans, seasoning them, and baking them into a pie. Or purŽe cooked beans and use themÑseasonedÑas a sauce over shaped pasta. If I were to add a soy product to beans, it would be as some of the seasoned soy meats rather than tofu or tempeh. Hope that helps! thanks, Alexandra