• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Callebaut Gold chocolate

JeanneCake

I think that's pretty readily available now (well, we have it in Australia so I assume the rest of the world has probably had it for years :P )

tastes nice, but I can't justify the cost when I can just caramelise some white chocolate for a similar flavour.

I haven’t tried Callebaut Gold, but the CB Zéphyr Caramel is fantastic. I found Valrhona Dulcey smoother but with a less pronounced buttery caramel flavor. The Zéphyr Caramel explodes on your mouth but the texture was just slightly gritty to me. I have only caramelized white chocolate once, it was Callebaut W2, but I much prefer both commercial versions to what I was able to make in my own. 

I have a bag at home. I'm not super fond of it, colleagues who I unload all of my work on thought the bar made with it was the best thing ever though.

Haven't tried the Cacao Barry branded version, but Varlhona's variation is better than Callebaut, maybe not to much surprise? 

It sure is here as well, on another continent. :D 

Haha, just checked my local supplier of Valrhona. They want 77 EUR for a 3 kg bag. That's the list price though, so it can probably go down a bit. But still crazy. German supplier wants 63 EUR, so I guess price depends on how good of a negotiator you are. Still waaay more expensive though.

Edited by Rajala (log)

Same here....have not tried it but the Cacao Barry Zephyr Caramel is great....btw I could get the Callebaut Gold in europe for about 35 euro / 2.5 kg.

Depending on the intended use I usually also just caramelize some white chocolate (bit gritty but works great in a crunchy layer for cakes/ pralines)