• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Was sea salt. Sea salt is conventionally considered to be salt evaporated directly from seawater, usually, by human-controlled processes.

Maybe conventionally to you. If it was sea salt, it's still sea salt, i.e. salt that came from the sea. I have sea salt in my kitchen. It's no longer in the sea, so it's not sea salt?

I'd say the use of "sea salt" is more of a marketing tool than a convention.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Was sea salt. Sea salt is conventionally considered to be salt evaporated directly from seawater, usually, by human-controlled processes.

Maybe conventionally to you. If it was sea salt, it's still sea salt, i.e. salt that came from the sea. I have sea salt in my kitchen. It's no longer in the sea, so it's not sea salt?