• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Definitions

Weeeelllll . . . those vegetarians that eat dairy, supposedly the most common, lacto-ovo? And then there are the vegetarians that eat seafood, reasoning that the fishing industry is less bogus than the meat industry. And then there are the vegans: no dairy, no meat, no fish, etc. I can't keep track . . . my friend has a "vegan" list in her wallet that she takes to the grocery store. She does not buy anything with animal products--and that's not just food! Many beauty products, etc., have bits and parts in them. Gelatin, etc. I think the definitions are important to the people who consider themselves such, also, they are important if you are cooking for a lacto-ovo/vege/vegan.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Yes, the definitions are very important, as someone who is a vegan eats no animal products whatsoever, including eggs, milk, cheese or yogurt, all of which may be included in a vegetarian diet. Vegan: someone who eats no animal products and do not use any products derived from animals. Vegetarians more broadly can include dairy products (lacto-ovo) but no meat, though some people who consider themselves vegetarians will eat some seafood, and sometimes chicken. Thanks, Alexandra