• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2018

Kerry Beal

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Kurt from Chocotransfersheets.com (aka Glarus Gourmet) is feeling very bad that he didn't successfully get the cocoa butter to us on time - he's offering a very generous discount on a single order. You should receive an e-mail if you were at the workshop. If I screwed up and you don't receive this offer in a day or two - send me a PM or message with your e-mail address so I can insure he gets it.

That's awesome. Doesn't apply to me since I wasn't at the workshop (and I don't need more colored cocoa butter at this time even if I had been) but that's a really nice thing for him to do.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

That's awesome. Doesn't apply to me since I wasn't at the workshop (and I don't need more colored cocoa butter at this time even if I had been) but that's a really nice thing for him to do.

There may have been a few names I screwed up!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Kurt from Chocotransfersheets.com (aka Glarus Gourmet) is feeling very bad that he didn't successfully get the cocoa butter to us on time - he's offering a very generous discount on a single order. You should receive an e-mail if you were at the workshop. If I screwed up and you don't receive this offer in a day or two - send me a PM or message with your e-mail address so I can insure he gets it.

Hmm, after all this reading about you guys taking the online course and making your own colors... they don’t make powdered colors, do they? Because I need more colored cocoa butter like I need a hole in my head (especially after the Tomric visit), but I’d be interested in dabbling in making my own colors.

3 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

Hmm, after all this reading about you guys taking the online course and making your own colors... they don’t make powdered colors, do they? Because I need more colored cocoa butter like I need a hole in my head (especially after the Tomric visit), but I’d be interested in dabbling in making my own colors.

I must confess - while I have been mixing some of my own colors for the course - I've been using Kurt's 'classic' (i.e. transparent colors), strained and diluted if necessary, for a lot of it.

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I must confess - while I have been mixing some of my own colors for the course - I've been using Kurt's 'classic' (i.e. transparent colors), strained and diluted if necessary, for a lot of it.

So even when using pre-prepared colors, you still strain? Do you get much particulate matter?

9 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

So even when using pre-prepared colors, you still strain? Do you get much particulate matter?

Surprisingly I did find some particulate