• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2018

Kerry Beal

What I have learned:

this was an amazing group of talented, funny, kind people

i do not know anything about chocolate 

there is hope for me

sesame seeds can be toasted in microwave 

niagara region makes awesome wine

it is nice to be out of comfort zone sometimes

my mushroom soup can be improved upon (a lot)

@Kerry Beal has incredible amount of energy (ok, I knew this already)

and most imporatantly, I had a lot of fun

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

I'm sitting at home sucking back my second cup of tea. The only things unpacked from the car (and thanks to @Alleguede for stuffing everything in there in some semblance of order) are the dinner leftovers (eat your heart out - I've got mushroom soup, prime rib, yorkies and gravy), a whole lot of amazing smoked pork products sent by one of our favourite eGers, and chocolate both from the workshop and the show and tell. 

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the rest unpacked. 

• Like 8

I see that @chefmd has already done what I usually ask - tell me what you learned that was new to you. 

Love it if everyone else would do the same. 

• Like 1

I’m molded to the seat in the plane listening to an out of control temper tantrum in the row of seats in front of me....

if I could figure out how to record and post on eG I would gladly share....

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

About 85 to 90% of what we did on Friday was new to me, so, that was a lot to learn.....can’t wait to break out my new toy and give it a run...

I learned the proper technique(s) for making sponge toffee/candy

I learned Bernie really likes Marshmallows (and to never, ever mess with his marshmallows)

I made new friends and was blessed by older ones

I missed Ruth

It was affirmed that we have a tremendous group of highly talented and skilled people

I affirmed that two people (Kerry and Rodney) have a tremendous depth of knowledge and a boundless willingness to share and teach

I left re-charged to get back into the confectionery Kitchen and get elbows deep in chocolate

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 10

Thanks to many helpful people, I learned how to use my 3D magnetic chicken mould (key tips included pre-painting to avoid bubbles, filling one side completely with chocolate before closing the mould and becoming a human rotator machine, and shortening the amount of fridge time for the mould to about 20-30 mins). 

I also learned about working with hand painted transfer sheets (white backing is key, or I could use lighter coloured cocoa butter for dark chocolates). 

This is was my fifth chocolate workshop, and I am always blown away by how friendly everyone is, and how generous they are with their expertise. Kerry and Rodney are also saints for agreeing to do so much work to put this event on so many times!

By the way, @mkayahara is really enjoying the samples of your work that I brought home for him - he very much missed joining us this year. 

IMG_9113.JPG

IMG_9119.JPG

IMG_9099.JPG

IMG_9107.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

I have some sad news to report.  

Two of Patris’ bowls lived a good, but short life.  They were beautiful, and kind, and they made people happy, because they held chocolate and allowed dippers to dip inside them, to explore and know what they truly were like down deep....

They were taken away, long before they should have been.  They told me they looked forward to being handed down from generation to generation.....

they are survived by their blue and beige brother and sister.  They had no known children 

0CB6523D-AC54-46F7-96A2-AE06EAA8A65B.thumb.jpeg.34665c80993e5da74294c6e621af71ab.jpeg26D346D0-4E8E-4F7D-B282-62AD4A7E2A9C.thumb.jpeg.9c4de69ea6e3c6e7e6781ba8818bf082.jpegE8DA5E8A-152F-4D3F-8361-946638F8B488.thumb.jpeg.d445903d51f40fa59f326d3d58a16699.jpeg

• Sad 9

Just now, RobertM said:

Two of Patris’ bowls lived a good, but short life.  They were beautiful, and kind, and they made people happy, because they held chocolate and allowed dippers to dip inside them, to explore and know what they truly were like down deep....

They were taken away, long before they should have been.  They told me they looked forward to being handed down from generation to generation.....

they are survived by their blue and beige brother and sister.  They had no known children 

0CB6523D-AC54-46F7-96A2-AE06EAA8A65B.thumb.jpeg.34665c80993e5da74294c6e621af71ab.jpeg26D346D0-4E8E-4F7D-B282-62AD4A7E2A9C.thumb.jpeg.9c4de69ea6e3c6e7e6781ba8818bf082.jpegE8DA5E8A-152F-4D3F-8361-946638F8B488.thumb.jpeg.d445903d51f40fa59f326d3d58a16699.jpeg

Damn Bob - TSA break them looking for drugs?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, RobertM said:

But TSA did stop me....they didn’t like my infra red thermometer in my carry on....

even checked it for gunpowder residue

Did you show them your badge??  Sorry about the bowls. :|

• Like 1

Thank you so much to everyone for your good humor, patience and all the tips and tricks and advice. What a wonderful, talented generous group - it was a pleasure to meet you all!

Thank you Kerry both for the add to the group and all you do. I think there's some magic dust sprinkled in your hair.

Rodney - thank god your shop is not close - all your pastries are sublime - but then - RASPBERRY CROISSANT - there's nowhere to go from there.

I cannot begin to list everything new I learned, but am most excited about all the air brushing and mold decorating techniques.

MELANGER! Woo-hoo can't wait to play... and the gorgeous dipping bowls .@patris - so special.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, RobertM said:

E8DA5E8A-152F-4D3F-8361-946638F8B488.thumb.jpeg.d445903d51f40fa59f326d3d58a16699.jpeg

This breaks my heart!

• Sad 1

Patty

Wish I could have made it there but I did enjoy it vicariously and the leftovers were delicious. 

Edited by Anna N
Spelling (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As I mentioned at the workshop - I was sent samples of the Fiddyment Farm Special Mill pistachio butter after the Fancy Food Show in SF - I saved them to bring to the workshop as I wanted to get more than just my opinion on this special grind that they make. 

With perfect timing I was contacted today by Brijal Vadgama  - Sales and Marketing Coordinator for Fiddyment to see how we liked it.

I passed on how much we had liked it - and sent a picture of the center that I believe @pastryani was making with it.

Here is the reply to my comments - "We are doing some outreach to see if our contacts from the Fancy Food show have any pistachios interests/needs right now.
If you are ever interested in becoming a wholesale customer I would love to send you some information on that. Or if someone ever asks you about the paste feel free to forward them my email/contact, I’m happy to answer any questions about it."

Brijal Vadgama 
Sales & Marketing Coordinator

brijal@fiddymentfarms.com

• Like 3