• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing your Anson Mills

SLB

So.  Anson Mills came up on the cooking with grains thread, and I realized that I am dying to know -- who really freezes their Anson Mills goods?  Every.Single.Item I've ever gotten from them has come with instructions to freeze or use,  but . . . .  

I do tend to freeze the corn products, because my mind can grip the notion that rancidity could be a possibility there.  But I just got a box of rice, and I can't understand why I would freeze rice.  Or the peas, frankly. 

But.  I want to know:  are y'all freezing your rice?  Am I going to be grieving???

I only put that stuff in the freezer if I have room in my freezer.  Otherwise, I transfer to mason jars or other storage possibilities. And try to use it up.

It certainly lengthens the shelf life and yeah, if there are any eggs or larvae, the freezer will be a better choice, but once again, do I move the frozen chicken stock out to make room?

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I buy my grits from Geechie Boy Mill on Edisto Island. Delicious and not so pricey as Anson Mills. I freeze my grits. Geechie Boy doesn't sell the range of products that Anson Mills does, but they have added rice, sea island peas, blue popcorn and some other products. 

It never occurred to me to freeze popcorn, but that's interesting. We buy popcorn in smallish amounts and it doesn't sit around too long. 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jedovaty said:

It might be to kill the bugs/weevils.

Hi there, to explain my comment: I recently purchased flour in bulk, and researched how to store it.  I've had issues in the past, even with air-tight containers, in that bugs (I guess they are called weevils?) infesting the flour after 6 months or so.  It seems this can happen with other grains, too, such as rice, though I've not had that problem.  Research suggested freezing for various periods of time if not until ready for use, depending on size of the container.  Other suggestions included adding bay leaves to the containers, vac sealing, etc.

So perhaps the suggestion to freeze includes this in addition to possible spoilage.  I wonder how they would respond if someone contacted them asking why they instruct it.

Edited by jedovaty (log)

Just out of curiosity I checked prices. I didn't compare shipping . Amazon prime of course is no shipping cost.

Delta Grind / yellow grits only   2 lbs  $8.00

Anson Mills / coarse antebellum white grits   12 oz   $5.95

Geechie Boy direct ship from Edisto Is./ white grits or yellow   1.5 lbs   $5.95

Geechie Boy Amazon Prime / same 1.5 lbs   $13

Carolina Plantation  / yellow or white   2lbs  $5.95

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

Delta Grind's range of products is limited as well -- grits, polenta, cornmeal, masa. But I love their stuff. Made not too far from me.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Here's what I got back from Anson Mills, cut and pasted:

Your Carolina Gold Rice and Sea Island Red Peas are new crop .. meaning they are live (viable) and aerobic when milled.  They have associated robust and unique aroma/flavor profiles when cooked. When stored ambient, both will lose that lovely aroma/flavor profile because it will volatilize when you open the bags for cookery. Stored frozen, this will not happen. 

With regard to your fresh cold milled to order hand pound emulation Carolina Gold Rice... because we choose to emulate how rice was prepared from scratch paddy rice a la minute for cookery before the industrial revolution, we hull/mill so that we just nick the outer bran of each kernel leaving the inner bran layer and germ intact... this form can oxidize and/or spoil stored at room temperature even though we vac pack on CO2 envelope at -10 F. to protect this rice for shipment at ambient temperatures for about 2 weeks only. We mill this way for flavor.. Carolina Gold Rice is suppose to be "non-aromatic" rice.. milled new crop "partial white", which is how we mill to emulate hand pounding.. it is slightly aromatic which we love.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/18/2018 at 10:28 AM, weinoo said:

My last purchase was from Carolina Plantation...

Good stuff, and I think prices are best of all, though they may not offer the breadth of products that Anson Mills offers.

I've dealt with that plantation in Carolina for a while now. They happily take you order and quickly ship the product. However, the last shipment arrived destroyed and the plantation has been on radio silence ever time I have tried to contact them. Their phones go to voice mail.  Email and web contacts go to the bit bucket.

I've been wondering about other sources for rice. I see that Anson Mills Is pretty highly regarded. Geechee boys I just heard about. What other places have you dealt with and would you deal with them again?

Thanks