• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I can't make Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) anymore

AGA

I'm following the same recipe. Everything is the same, and the meringue is cool and the butter isn't hot. Yet the second I put a spoonful of butter in the meringue, it becomes soup. I've ruined five straight batches. It also takes my meringue over 30 minutes to cool down in my KA mixer no matter what--but it didn't matter before. What can I do?

I would like to help troubleshoot for you.  Can you share your recipe with us?  What kind of egg whites are you using (from a carton, from shelled eggs, Eggology)?  What kind/brand of butter?  What speed on your KA is it when you add the hot sugar syrup (and what temp are you cooking the syrup to?) and what do you turn it down to after all the syrup is added?  Is this the same speed when you add the butter? 

When I have failures with IMBC, it's usually when the syrup is added (the whites collapse).  It normally goes to "soup" when some amount of butter is added, then it comes together (emulsifies).  Sometimes if it hasn't emulsified by the time I've added  most of the butter, I just stop and let it beat (with the whip) for a minute or two and it comes together enough so I can continue adding the remaining butter.

Edited by JeanneCake
typo (log)
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

It normally goes to "soup" when some amount of butter is added, then it comes together (emulsifies).  Sometimes if it hasn't emulsified by the time I've added  most of the butter, I just stop and let it beat (with the whip) for a minute or two and it comes together enough so I can continue adding the remaining butter.

I think a lot of times when meringue buttercream looks like a failure it can actually be salvaged just by beating more.  Soupy?  Beat more!  Looking curdled?  Beat more! 

• Like 1