• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegman’s Brand Products

MetsFan5

Is anyone a fan of certain Wegman’s owned/ produced products? I had an Instacart order from them today but marveled over their soups (I’m especially curious about their gazpacho), their take on potatoes gratin, their variations of rotisserie chickens, their own label pasta sauces and especially the cheeses they label as their own in conjunction with well known cheese brands such as Beechers.

Their heat and eat items also appeal to me as my husband  rarely if ever gets home before 8pm. 

Anyone have any Wegman’s favorites? 

Don't get me started! LOL

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

has anyone tried their prepared chicken & shrimp on Singapore noodles ?

I may just have to try thosee

one odd thing that only interests me :

the one what and eat item I get either at RocheBr or MarketBasket , local chains is the " Turkey Dinner "

they re quite good

and they sell a lot of them

Oddly Wewgmans does not carry it.   lots of other choices but not that one.

I make TurkeyRagu in the iPot.

Ive used all sorts of brand and store brand jared 

Im eyeing the Pasta sauce .  Ill have to check to see if the first ingredient is tomato paste or crush tomatoes

the crush T versions , to my taste , are always better.

I haven't tried many of their prepared food items. I don't think I'm their target demographic for those, because I like to cook. And since it's an hour's drive from the nearest store to my house, we don't do their rotisserie chickens or other stuff bought hot and intended for consumption quickly after purchase. But we enjoy their house-brand cereals, organic salsa (medium is about the right spice level for us), PB (both smooth for my husband and crunchy for me), canned soups, ice cream and ice cream sandwiches, frozen veg, canned tomatoes, and paper items. Of the items @MetsFan5 specifically asked about, the only one I can speak to is the cheese, which is awesome.

For whatever reason, we thought the boxed mac n cheez was better when it was still in a blue box and made with artificial coloring. And my husband has declared that their house brand tonic water isn't as good as Polar brand.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I just tried the 21 grain sandwich bread

it was fine , I don't eat bread like this often  

I had a coupon and was in the store looking over a second dose of strip[ steaks.

its a bit sweet for my tastes.

I had to join there shoppers club for the sales.

unlike other stores , and there is only one in my area that still uses these cards

they send you an email w specials that are not on the bi-weekly circular , that comes w the mail and other circulars

you click ' redeem ' and it puts the coupon on you account electronically

when you use it , it moves over to the ' redeemed ' sec ion on your account at their web site.

interesting.

also you can only use it once.

I wonder if the email coupons are tailored in any way to what you buy and what coupons you use.

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I just tried the 21 grain sandwich bread

it was fine , I don't eat bread like this often  

I had a coupon and was in the store looking over a second dose of strip[ steaks.

its a bit sweet for my tastes.

I had to join there shoppers club for the sales.

unlike other stores , and there is only one in my area that still uses these cards

they send you an email w specials that are not on the bi-weekly circular , that comes w the mail and other circulars

you click ' redeem ' and it puts the coupon on you account electronically

when you use it , it moves over to the ' redeemed ' sec ion on your account at their web site.

interesting.

also you can only use it once.

I wonder if the email coupons are tailored in any way to what you buy and what coupons you use.

I'm pretty sure that the coupons they give you are tailored to your shopping, because I compared coupons once with another customer, and we got coupons for different items.

I've said it before, but it's well worth registering your card with the smartphone app, because the list tracking makes shopping SO much easier.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I get that their prepared food aren’t for everyone, especially people here, who are good cooks.   

They have some interesting things like “picked fresh then frozen” mushroom mix, which appeals to me. 

I got about half a lb of fresh bacon wrapped scallops and will try them tomorrow. 

Which cheeses have you enjoyed @MelissaH ? There are SO many and I have access to a really great cheese shop but my husband who lived in Spain for 8 years loves their Manchego. The Gouda’s appeal to me same with the Parmigiana Reggiano. 

They also have a fabulous selection of Asian products. I bought the ingridents to make the recipe for Cold Sesame Noodles in Recipe Gullet by @=Mark has anyone tried it? 

We routinely purchase many of Wegman's house brand staples and have never been unhappy with them - canned goods, condiments, foil/cling wraps, freezer bags, TP/PT/tissues, trash bags, dish/laundry detergents, and cereal come to mind.  They also seem to be a good value - I think usually cheaper than Costco.  We rarely buy their prepared foods so I haven't tried any of their fancier refrigerated soups.

Speaking of Costco, @MetsFan5 has your husband tried their Manchego?  If so I'd be interested in hearing how he thinks it compares to Wegman's.  Costco routinely puts it on sale at a great price.  I am certainly not a connoisseur, but I enjoy it - when I can find a wedge that isn't huge (not often).

I like Wegman's branded cheddar, montery jack, and pecorino cheeses. Their fresh mozzarella is OK too, on a par with other commercial ones.  I really dislike their hot dog/hamburger/sub buns.  They all taste too sweet.  I find their other bakery breads boring/too soft.  I have never tried their desserts.

I regularly buy their house-branded staples such as canned beans, canned tomatoes, organic eggs, and some frozen vegetables like peas, corn and artichoke hearts (I especially like their frozen fire-roasted poblano peppers and fire-roasted red peppers.  I wish they sold fire roasted corn).

Some of their snack products are good too.  They make soft pretzel bites sold in tubs that are a staple at our movie nights, and everyone in my family likes their peanut butter stuffed hard pretzels.

I really have not tried their prepared or heat-and-eat foods, but my bachelor brother in law practically lives on their EZ meals.  He is health conscious and appreciates that they all have calorie and nutrition information on them, and are vegetable focused with smaller amounts of lean protein.  For what it is worth, his favorite EZ dinner is the lemon-garlic chicken breast with roasted vegetables and kale.  He told me he eats that one at least twice a week.  He also likes their salmon EZ meals.

I also bring Wegman's shrimp cocktail platters to my husband's family at the holidays, and everyone agrees that they are much moister and more flavorful than other purchased shrimp platters.

• Like 1

@liamsaunt

thanks for the tip on the ' artichoke hearts '

Tj's has some of these and I have not gotten around to trying them

now Ill try both.

P.S. @liamsaunt

thanks for your input and others who have contributed on this thread

that's a bit more useful than

"  Its all C*R*A*P ,  I only go to Bespoke  ' [ meat , fish , Veg , cheese , etc ] 'Mongers that have the very best

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I had another order delivered today (yes I could drive but the weather has been shit and I am lazy). I got their Monterey Jack last time and liked it so I got it again. I also got their Beef on Weck sandwich last time and really liked it so I got another as I can make two lunches from one sandwich. 

@liamsaunt I also got their soft pretzel nugget tub on your recommendation. I love pretzel anything and these will be a must buy in the future. 

I did get their marinated chicken fajita mix— it’s raw chicken and peppers and onions with an ancho marinade. I figure I can make quesadillas if not fajitas with it and it can be frozen. I bought their branded salsa and sour cream as well. I also got their ham steaks and will make scalloped potatoes to go with them. Has anyone tried their rotisserie chicken?

Other new items bought but haven’t tried include three “seafood heat and eat items”. They come in mental tins with baking instructions. Last time I got the bacon wrapped scallops and they were surprisingly good and handy as an appetizer when my husband gets home from work. Today I got a 8oz piece of horseradish and bread crumb crusted salmon, shrimp scampi and coconut shrimp. 

I realize 99% of the members here have little to no use for “ready to cook” meals. I never know if my husband will get home by 7 or by 9. He’s usually super busy at work so I don’t know what and or if he ate lunch so I let him decide on dinner, once he’s on the train home (often with massive delays) by giving him options. I’m sure I anything I would and have cooked he’d never complain but when you suddenly find yourselves eating dinner at 10pm, it needs to be stomach sensitive. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

Ive been getting the 4 pack's of the center cut strips , vac-pouched.

I ended up getting now pack a week and doing a RB-40  2 day refrigerated ' aging ' 

and then SV and freeze for Future Eating.

it very much suits me for Beef.

today I looked further into the Meat-Case and the have

Black Angus vac packed meat.

I didn't exactly Yawn , but there is it.

one can get BA meat or not. for me choice is choice and Im careful to look for the best marble9ing in the case.

however what I found interesting in the BA section , they had several cuts that are difficult for me to get in the burbs :

hanger steak and skirts.    I did not ask and it did not say on the skirts if they were inside or outside.

they and a lot of hangers.

there was a bit of sticker-shock on their prices , etc

but I can't buy these  unless i travel into The Big City and go to a bespoke butcher

S&S sometimes has vac'd skirts , but they are clearly the thicker skirt , and I prefer the thinner.

I do wonder if the 'Burgs Wegman's will survive.   I do go early and on off hours.

not a lot of traffic at those times.

• 2 weeks later...

not really new :

5b1153e4b29fa_WNYSt.thumb.jpg.8c6b4196002c10c170b4f76dee2f232e.jpg

this is the last set of 4 W's NY Stips that Im about to put in the refrig for their two day stay then SV

as before.  total 4 packs of 4 = 16 steaks , or 32 packs of 1/2 steaks for summer sandwiches

Im posting to confirm Im an Idiot.   these packs are the devilish difficult to  open , and Im not a fan of that part

however , I do keep the meat in the packs for a week or so before I open and RB40 them for their final two days very loosely covered w parchment paper

I noted on this pack that on the end there is a flap that you pull the bottom plastic off

so its actually very easy to open after all !

your vac-packed meat(s) might have this or not.

I though Id point it out if you've been having similar issues w these packs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@rustwood sorry for the late response. Because we are a family of three (two adults and a dog) we stopped our Costco membership. They don’t have gas stations in my area and we can get our bulk staples from amazon Prime for the same price. My husband hasn’t tried their Manchengo. 

I bought a 4 pack of lobster tails for $35. They were all a good size and labeled from US. I didn’t completely defrost them because of time, but they were precut and despite being a bit over cooked (my fault) they were really tasty! We had two each and I doctored up a ‘Wegman’s Best’ Caesar salad with extra lemon juice and fresh pepper and it was a delicious meal. Much better quality than we’ve gotten from Whole Foods and the price point, IMO was great as most lobster tails I’ve bought were at least $10 a tail. 

They also sell Miso Easy which is basically a squeeze bottle of miso soup concentrate. That is my go to when I’m not feeling well. 

Their precut zucchini sticks are a fail. They’re good eaten raw but they don’t roast at all. They turned into a gooey mess. That had me cursing because I knew I should have just bought a zucchini and cut it myself. The first time I didn’t salt it and wound up with the gooey mess. So I salted the rest for an hour. They released a lot of water but were totally shrunken and unsalvagable. Things like this happening are why I hate cooking. When my husband gets home after 8pm and I spent time trying to make a balanced meal and fail I get super frustrated.