• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cacao butter silk, or cocoa butter silk?

ptw1953

I offer my greetings to all who read this post.

I haven't yet got round to purchasing the EZ Temper to make the best cocoa butter silk, but was interested to attempt making silk using purchased cocoa butter with a cobbled together contraption. So I immediately, and with great haste, ordered some cocoa butter callets from Amazon.uk (I know, I know...), and made 200g of silk. Success was mine. Then I decided to make another batch, just to use up the remainder of the callets. Brought them out, and found that I had used cacao butter callets, and not cocoa butter callets. Being a fully certified, and paid-up, idiot, my impetuous mistake comes no surprise to my wife and family. My question is; should I bin it, or can it be used in the tempering process?

p.s. my wife has offered to purchase me the EZ Temper for my birthday and Christmas combined. Can't wait, but will not tell her of the shipping costs to Scotland until she is about to purchase...9_9

I am rather sure that cacao and cocoa are the same things just different languages.

What color is your cacao butter and which company manufactured it? Can you include pictures of the callets and the packaging?

And enjoy you EZtemper when you get it!

55 minutes ago, ptw1953 said:

I cannot send a PM to you. Says that you cannot receive them. I must be doing something wrong...again.

Must be full - let me do a little weeding.

Try now.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

From memory, I think that cacao used to mean a product that was removed from  the beans before a particular part of the chocolate making process - fermentation, perhaps? But I suspect that marketing and labelling people have taken over and that cocoa / cacao butter are used interchangeably as the market for their particular product requires. E.g. your packet has that bloody buzzword "organic" on it - I daresay that is why it says cacao instead of cocoa. Simply because it sounds better to people buying it.

All that is to say my opinion is you can probably use them interchangeably with no real difference in the final product.

Ha, ha Chris; you are spot-on. Organic cacao are actually vegan buzzwords, and so is more expensive than cocoa butter. Nothing more than that.

i hope all is well in Oz; Melbourne has some top-class restaurants and chocolate places, I hear...

Philip.

I've been thinking about this recently.  I generally call it cocoa butter, but I suspect cacao butter would be more correct since cacao is the fruit.  But then should cocoa powder also be cacao powder?  Should 'cocoa' only be used to refer to a hot beverage?  I think @keychris is right, 'cacao' is marketed towards to woo-woo health & wellness market to differentiate it from chocolate and candy.

FWIW, my Felchlin boxes list cacao kernel and cacao butter as ingredients, while my Valrhona bags list cocoa butter and powder in English and cacao in every other language.  Some of my finished products  list cacao, cacao butter, and cocoa powder in accordance with the original labels but I've been wondering if I should pick one and be consistent. 

First, @ptw1953 what you bought is just right for putting in the EZtemper. You can call it cacao butter or cocoa butter but they are both the same thing. The important part is that it is 100% cacao butter or 100% cocoa butter. You do not want a product with anything added.

I found this explanation of the differences between cacao and cocoa here (https://nuts.com/healthy-eating/cacao-vs-cocoa) but that is about chocolate & not the "butter" portion.

• 5 years later...