• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potassium sorbate-free Marshmallows

artiesel

I've never used K sorbate in a marshmallow. I've never actually seen a recipe that uses it in a marshmallow.  And I've never seen a moldy marshmallow. 

Citric acid will help boost fruit flavor in a marshmallow - don't know if sorbitol is going to provide any benefit. 

Do you have the recipe that calls for the K sorbate?

• Like 1

I guess what I'm questioning is whether marshmallows - egg white based or gelatin based actually require a preservative such as K sorbate which does it's best work against molds? Are you having shelf life issues with your fresh egg white marshmallows?

1 hour ago, artiesel said:

Potassium sorbate is used as a preservative.  I'm trying to find a way to get a good shelf life on large batches of fresh egg white marshmallows.

I think this one will do the trick...  http://www.danisco.com/pdf/biovia-brochure.pdf

Could I ask why you must use fresh eggs?  IMHO perfectly acceptable marshmallows can be made with dried egg whites or gelatin (no eggs at all).

But even with fresh eggs as the foaming agent - the boiling syrup should take care of salmonella and there won't be a lot of available water. Here is the ingredient list in Tunnock's Snowballs - a marshmallow made with egg albumin - I'm not seeing any preservatives.

Ingredients Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Desiccated Coconut (16%), Water, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Skimmed Milk Powder, Egg Albumen Crystals, Whey Powder, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Soya Lecithin (E322), Salt and Vanillin. Allergies Information Contains Egg Albumen, Milk Powder, Whey Powder & Soya Lecithins Nutrition nutrient per 100g per snowball Energy kCal 446 kCal 134 kCal Energy kJ 1,866 kJ 560 kJ Protein 4.2 g 1.3 g Carbohydrate 56.7 g 17.0 g of which sugars 42.0 g 12.6 g Fat 20.8 g 6.2 g of which saturates 17.5 g 5.3 g Fibre 3.6 g 1.1 g Sodium 0.1 g Trace Salt Equivalent 0.4 g 0.1 g A Snowball is similar to the Tea Cake, with the addition of grated coconut to the exterior of a soft chocolate shell but with no biscuit base.

My plan is to use fresh whites mixed with egg white powder for vanilla marshmallows & egg white powder rehydrated in fruit puree.  I realize that the hot syrup will act as a kill step for bacteria and result in a low Aw value.  

The idea of using the potassium sorbate, or a clean label alternative, is to extend shelf life by preventing the growth of any molds that might be present.  I work for a company that needs to put out  a premium product that has a minimum shelf life of three months.  

When I made marshmallows in the past I forgot about them in the pantry and they turned moldy on me.  

So back to the original question now that we know mold was your  issue - must mean your Aw wasn't as low as needed. Molds can grow at lower Aw's than bacteria. 

I suspect the addition of sorbitol alone won't be sufficient in this case. I wonder if a combination of sorbitol, invert and glucose might work?

Do you have the ability to do Aw testing as you perfect your recipe?

56 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I suspect the addition of sorbitol alone won't be sufficient in this case. I wonder if a combination of sorbitol, invert and glucose might work?

That sounds promising. Greweling could provide a guide as he uses invert in his marshmallow recipe. And I have found that sorbitol significantly lowers Aw in pâte de fruit.

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

You might want to look at improving your packaging.

LOL!!!  Well, yes, since I was still in pastry school the packaging was just a cellophane bag with a twist tie.  A far cry from a professional packaging job.