• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

artiesel

Potassium sorbate-free Marshmallows

Does anyone know of a natural alternative to using potassium sorbate as a marshmallow preservative???

Would citric acid or sorbitol suffice???

I've never used K sorbate in a marshmallow. I've never actually seen a recipe that uses it in a marshmallow.  And I've never seen a moldy marshmallow. 

Citric acid will help boost fruit flavor in a marshmallow - don't know if sorbitol is going to provide any benefit. 

Do you have the recipe that calls for the K sorbate?

• Like 1

I guess what I'm questioning is whether marshmallows - egg white based or gelatin based actually require a preservative such as K sorbate which does it's best work against molds? Are you having shelf life issues with your fresh egg white marshmallows?

1 hour ago, artiesel said:

Potassium sorbate is used as a preservative.  I'm trying to find a way to get a good shelf life on large batches of fresh egg white marshmallows.

I think this one will do the trick...  http://www.danisco.com/pdf/biovia-brochure.pdf

Could I ask why you must use fresh eggs?  IMHO perfectly acceptable marshmallows can be made with dried egg whites or gelatin (no eggs at all).

But even with fresh eggs as the foaming agent - the boiling syrup should take care of salmonella and there won't be a lot of available water. Here is the ingredient list in Tunnock's Snowballs - a marshmallow made with egg albumin - I'm not seeing any preservatives.

Ingredients Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Desiccated Coconut (16%), Water, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Skimmed Milk Powder, Egg Albumen Crystals, Whey Powder, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Soya Lecithin (E322), Salt and Vanillin. Allergies Information Contains Egg Albumen, Milk Powder, Whey Powder & Soya Lecithins Nutrition nutrient per 100g per snowball Energy kCal 446 kCal 134 kCal Energy kJ 1,866 kJ 560 kJ Protein 4.2 g 1.3 g Carbohydrate 56.7 g 17.0 g of which sugars 42.0 g 12.6 g Fat 20.8 g 6.2 g of which saturates 17.5 g 5.3 g Fibre 3.6 g 1.1 g Sodium 0.1 g Trace Salt Equivalent 0.4 g 0.1 g A Snowball is similar to the Tea Cake, with the addition of grated coconut to the exterior of a soft chocolate shell but with no biscuit base.

My plan is to use fresh whites mixed with egg white powder for vanilla marshmallows & egg white powder rehydrated in fruit puree.  I realize that the hot syrup will act as a kill step for bacteria and result in a low Aw value.  

The idea of using the potassium sorbate, or a clean label alternative, is to extend shelf life by preventing the growth of any molds that might be present.  I work for a company that needs to put out  a premium product that has a minimum shelf life of three months.  

When I made marshmallows in the past I forgot about them in the pantry and they turned moldy on me.  

You might want to look at improving your packaging.

So back to the original question now that we know mold was your  issue - must mean your Aw wasn't as low as needed. Molds can grow at lower Aw's than bacteria. 

I suspect the addition of sorbitol alone won't be sufficient in this case. I wonder if a combination of sorbitol, invert and glucose might work?

Do you have the ability to do Aw testing as you perfect your recipe?

56 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I suspect the addition of sorbitol alone won't be sufficient in this case. I wonder if a combination of sorbitol, invert and glucose might work?

That sounds promising. Greweling could provide a guide as he uses invert in his marshmallow recipe. And I have found that sorbitol significantly lowers Aw in pâte de fruit.

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

You might want to look at improving your packaging.

LOL!!!  Well, yes, since I was still in pastry school the packaging was just a cellophane bag with a twist tie.  A far cry from a professional packaging job.  

• Similar Content

• By artiesel
      I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions

• By Sweet Impact Mama
      Pistachio paste (and connected loosely, gianduja)

Been studying through the giant book that is "Fine Chocolates Gold". It alternates between taking up a third of our dining room table and being a massive paper weight. 🤣 I'm trying to put together a plan for our fall/winter flavors and really want to work in more nuts and gianduja flavors. One of my customers wants more pistachio and another wants more hazelnut. 

First question: on Page 280, he has a recipe for "Pistachio Gianduja", which I thought meant making just straight gianduja with pistachios. But he puts in 4x the almonds as pistachios and then has you put in Pistachio Paste. What the what??? I thought that gianduja was what happens when you take nuts (turned into nut butter, essentially) and then added a certain percentage of chocolate to it (depending on the consistency you want). Then I researched pistachio paste. Does he mean the stuff from Italy or Turkey that has added milks and sugars or something else? Since he's a European chef, I'm assuming the first option... is that correct?

Then... he keeps having the ingredient "gianduja" in recipes, but doesn't specify which nut they are made from. He does the same with "praline" as an ingredient. If he says that, is there an assumed nut as the base sort of gianduja? When he says "x" amount of praline as an ingredient, does he mean caramelized sugar that has been blitzed in the food processor, so as to bring it to powder form?

Sorry - this sort of turned into a request for a mini class. 😏 
    • By Miriam G
      Hello everyone,
      I am in the process of locating a commercial kitchen space to rent in order to produce my chocolates on a larger scale, for retail and wholesale.  The challenge is that I have not been able to locate a space that has air conditioning or any kind of temperature control.  Even if everything else in the facility is perfect, that's the one issue that keeps coming up.

Can anyone provide guidance regarding the feasibility of working in a non temperature controlled space, and if there are any work arounds?  I'd have full access to fridges, freezers, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help or experiences you can share!
      Miriam
    • By artiesel
      Has anyone ever worked with or made buttercream candies? 

As far as I can tell they appear to be simply fondant sugar with the addition of butter.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
    • By david.upchurch
      Hello All,
      I am researching colorants for cacao butter with an eye toward  'natural' vegetal derived colorants. 
      My local packaging inspector ( California ) has required me to list ALL FDA approved artificial dyes and pigments, FD&C, Lakes, on my labels.  These are equivalent to EU approved artificial colors as E102 to E143, as I understand it. 
      Is anyone else tackling this issue?  Per labeling, this is a substantial amount of information as one multi-hued collection can have 6+ colors.  Other chocolatiers I have noticed use blanket statements such as 'FDA approved colors' or 'Cocoa Butter with Colors'. 
      I am hearing hints that the EU may impose stricter regulations on artificial colors.  Some of these, Lakes for instance, seem very dodgy as they are based on metal (Aluminum) salts to disperse the dyes. 

Pur is one company that I have found that produces colorants from natural sources on an industrial scale.  Their cacao butters include other additives so I am really interested in how well they spray and perform.  Anyone have experience using these?
      Shelf life, color fastness, flavors in the colorants, all these are points of interest. 
      Thank very much.