• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andrey Dubovic online classes

gfron1

Nice shine!

How many of the lolly's did you get out of the mold Rob?

I think I got 5 and if you look carefully they might still be cracked.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_9926.jpg.580bc9843a73351213299c6cfbc7d9da.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg.b5c758b807bd73aac1fb8f82a6160e1e.jpg

First try

IMG_9856.jpg.2f0e007f17321b3715046c3cc5a52634.jpg

IMG_9857.jpg.91ffe81bec972cdf3797af99abee98e1.jpg

Dead soldiers first try.

IMG_0168.jpg.17929950d6034e24114a14b571656449.jpg

Dead soldiers second try.

IMG_0496.jpg.88fea75483b8364446b4ac0cc957530d.jpg

Change molds to one that doesn't suction on the the sphere. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nice shine!

How many of the lolly's did you get out of the mold Rob?

I think I got 5 and if you look carefully they might still be cracked.

I only poured 12 because I will never make these again - I think its silly to put a ganache filled bonbon on a stick. Cute on a buffet line, but makes not sense from the perspective of the guest. Anyway, I got all but one out, and that one split at the seam not cracked. There was a subtle thing that he didn't mention but I saw him do and that was to push on the opening with his finger which released the chocolate from the mold. My shells were super thin too, so that wasn't the issue. OR...it could be that frigid room I'm working in at 18º 😛  I do think that accounts for my shine performance btw. I've been comparing the shine that I thought was great from the first few assignments to my last few and the difference is striking...and aligns with my drop from 20 to 18. Good thing I don't pay my utilities in this kitchen.

Heading into the last few assignments my steam is dwindling. I feel like we're going backwards in required skills. He's known for his eyeball technique and incredible shine, so that should have been what we built towards. Dropping back into truffles and dipped chocolates holds virtually no interest for me. But onward!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_9926.jpg.580bc9843a73351213299c6cfbc7d9da.jpg

As a physician, I'm guessing you found a modicum of wry amusement in making the capsules. :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 minutes ago, chromedome said:

As a physician, I'm guessing you found a modicum of wry amusement in making the capsules. :P

As a someone who ran an addiction treatment center for a number of years...I didn't. I cringe every time I see this design.

• Like 3

Ugh. I'm sure.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

48 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yes I actually wanted to make the blue pills instead!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yes I actually wanted to make the blue pills instead!

Those can be for Father's Day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

As a someone who ran an addiction treatment center for a number of years...I didn't. I cringe every time I see this design.

I had exactly the same response when I saw this design - it's not something I personally would choose to make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

Would you consider mentioning this to him? Or is there a cultural component that might not come through nicely?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

18 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Would you consider mentioning this to him? Or is there a cultural component that might not come through nicely?

I'm pretty sure I saw this by other chefs before he did it, and I don't know that its really that big of an issue....sorta like the candy cigarettes. Its fadish so it will go away quickly IMO.

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

But might it not be fun to offer them to someone and say, "Take two and call me in the morning?"

That is exactly the quote I was going to use as a caption of my "pill" picture on Instagram.

I think the pill design falls into the classification of a "witty" piece, probably not something one would make by the dozen. A number of the last designs in the class are more in the showpiece category, and it's a bit difficult to labor over them too much when in the back of your mind you are thinking that this is something you will never, never make again. If some pill and lollipop molds show up in the eGullet classified section, you will know where they came from.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Me too. As both a parent and a physician, I found it cringe-worthy as well. 

Sorry to jump into this discussion. I see where you guys are coming from, but wouldn't most people see a pill as something that's good for you? That's exactly how I see it. Pills = good. Is it something with two colors that immediately makes you think of some pill full with flunitrazepam or is it just pills over all that triggers something for you?

For me it's the metaphor pill = candy that is uncomfortable.  I wouldn't make or buy any candies that look like pharmaceuticals.  I think many health care professionals and other people who have more than enough experience with pills in one way or another may feel similarly:  I don't want to blur the line between the two categories.  

• Like 2

Again I say "candy cigarettes." Not the best thought out idea. That said, sorry if I drove things off topic. What was interesting with that assignment was the taping in tight quarters. Taping a half sphere is relatively easy, but in this tighter mold it was less so. I will say that electrical tape is more forgiving than painters tape so it wasn't terrible. 

• Like 2

Yeah, we see it differently. I'm thinking more vitamin than drugs. The chocolate cigarettes I had as a kid are long gone. I'm also driving things off topic at the moment. You're staff, tell us to stop. :D 

I have that mold, (if it's the Pavoni one by Bachour) and thought about that the taping of it must be quite tricky.