• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andrey Dubovic online classes

gfron1

I don't know, I'm a fan of making the observer use their imagination a little bit every now and then. Besides, it got three (that we've seen so far) lessons out of one mold... so efficient too. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I'm not buying this cacao pod "strawberry"  nonsense!

In his defense, he uses two different molds for the cacao and strawberry. Both are cacao but the one he uses for strawberry has wider sections so it pulls it off a little bit better. I was too cheap to buy the second mold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

In his defense, he uses two different molds for the cacao and strawberry. Both are cacao but the one he uses for strawberry has wider sections so it pulls it off a little bit better. I was too cheap to buy the second mold.

Wise - it’s tiny! 

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Wise - it’s tiny! 

I really like the cocoa pod mold but find it too small to fit with my other molds. In looking around, I found one like it but a little wider/deeper and making a piece 10g in size (rather than 8). It's a Cacao-Barry mold and I got it from Chocolat-Chocolat.

25 minutes ago, curls said:

Here is a link to Chocolate World's moulds you can filter the list by World Chocolate Masters and Chef's signatures moulds to see a number of the moulds used in this course. This includes the design that @Jim D. asked about. https://www.chocolateworld.be/winkel/vormen/kadervormen#0

Wow, they got a new, kind of modern, website I guess? Haven't seen that. :) 

1 minute ago, Rajala said:

Wow, they got a new, kind of modern, website I guess? Haven't seen that. :) 

Yup, they have had it for a while. Quite an improvement on their old website!

8 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I really like the cocoa pod mold but find it too small to fit with my other molds. In looking around, I found one like it but a little wider/deeper and making a piece 10g in size (rather than 8). It's a Cacao-Barry mold and I got it from Chocolat-Chocolat.

I have a couple of those around the house - sort of kicking myself for buying the other one. Although the CCB molds aren't see through.

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have a couple of those around the house - sort of kicking myself for buying the other one. Although the CCB molds aren't see through.

That is bad news. I didn't know about that. Makes it really difficult to decorate, I would image (I've never used any of these--I assume it's white).

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

When did you get yours? I just looked online and, according to L'Epicérie, Cacao Barry has recently switched from polycarbonate to clear tritan plastic. I'm hoping that may be the case with what I ordered.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

When did you get yours? I just looked online and, according to L'Epicérie, Cacao Barry has recently switched from polycarbonate to clear tritan plastic. I'm hoping that may be the case with what I ordered.

Yeah - I've had them for years. White polycarbonate.

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I just bought some new Cacao Barry molds (the half round snack bars)....now they are a clear plastic, the ones I used before were solid white...a friend of mine works for Cacao Barry and he said they had some manufacturing problems with the solid white material so they had to switch to the new material...

I found out the law changed recently and all the moulds will now be the clear material instead of the white as apparentlythe white is carcinogenic so dangerous for the makers ( fine for use)

9 minutes ago, Je33 said:

I found out the law changed recently and all the moulds will now be the clear material instead of the white as apparentlythe white is carcinogenic so dangerous for the makers ( fine for use)

Interesting. 

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the molds themselves. What do you think of them in use?

I would have thought Cacao Barry would have changed to a clear material long ago. It would be (will be?) very difficult to decorate a mold when you can't see the bottom of the cavities--just have to hope for the best. Dubovik's techniques require frequent inspection of how the project is going (as with spraying gradients). My cacao pod molds arrive in a few days--I'll report.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Interesting. 

I'm hearing mixed reviews on the molds themselves. What do you think of them in use?

Personally I like them but mainly because I can partially see through them ( not totally clear) and they don't seem as brittle as the solid white ones ( i have both) as quite a few of them have cracked. It's very satisfying to see the chocolate contract when in the mould which you can't do woth the old version.

• Like 1

IMG_9887.thumb.jpg.1ef6f4176ee0d16455d1731fc9886bff.jpg

IMG_9890.thumb.jpg.01ff446652daacc8838a95c7e14dd38a.jpg

IMG_9898.thumb.jpg.4f12557d646177c6c7aa316537f010e5.jpg

Need to learn to cut the tape with an Xacto rather than scissors. And my gradients need work - of course I did them all the same day so some will need to be practiced again when I return from up north. But actually by teaching them - I learn them better!

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_9583.thumb.jpg.7eb941480810285bf038590f3ef33dd1.jpg

Graphite with stripe - sadly not graphite colored since I failed to read the instructions until after I made them.

Actually I think yours looks better than the one made by the instructor. The lighter gray makes the stripe show up much more clearly--and, after all, having the stripe is the whole point of this one.

• Like 1

Those are really nice. I especially like the granite look of the first one.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.